My first mod

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by melorib, Apr 28, 2007.

1. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Operation 2

Silver plated RCAs, silver spades and AgAu cable from Zanash...

With "all" my experience soldering, I thought it would be piece of cake, mistake... :(

The shity solder wouldnt stick to the silver stuff, nice smooth bubbles stuck to the wire, but no where else, after many tries, finnally fixed, but when installed and soldered to the board, broke away again, what a pain to get them fixed, at least they dont woble, hope that with the case closed they wont come apart again... :rolleyes:

It worked first try on the board side, then the same trouble with the spades, is it my 25 watts iron, the silver solder, or is it plain me... :newbie:

In the end it works, but... :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007
    melorib, May 30, 2007
  2. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Operation 2

It sounds thin, lots of treble, clean, no background noise, less bass, like the day it arrived, or when I rolled pre tubes... :eek:

Is it possible that mere RCAs and 5 cms cable need burn-in, or did I screw-up something, the other difference is that now I have discreet ground connections, the first time I shorted the two channels... :(

First operation had little change in the sound, so I didnt worry, but now... :rds2:

melorib, May 30, 2007
  3. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Operation 2

Before, photo from the net, one or two years old:

[​IMG]

Now, besides my modifications, there are a few differences:

The thick white wire connecting to the center screw is missing, probably moved underneath, the thinner white wire on the left, near the power supply moved to the top center, must be for the power led.

Mine has an extra red cap to the left of the large caps, and the third not so big cap is brown, also has PCBs over the output transformers...

It looks much "cleaner" now, I could also remove the 3 parts on the right top, Selector, volume pot and electronic counter PCB, but they dont disturb, without current and off the circuit...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007
    melorib, May 30, 2007
  4. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Operation 3

Following some friends recommendation, I opened the amplifier, and again shorted the ground of the two RCAs, the bass is back, full bodied great sound, umbelievable... :newbie:

melorib, May 30, 2007
Ask a Question