My friend wants to buy a Niam CDP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lAmBoY, Feb 16, 2004.

1. lAmBoY

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

OK, My mate has sold up his micromega transport and his pink triangle DAC and wants to pair up his naim 90pre, 140 power and external psu with a 2nd hand naim cdp.

Choices: 2nd hand CD2, CD3.5 or new 5i.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm not that up on Naim products (mate really likes the naim sound).

Even if anyone wants to sell, let me know and I'll pass it on.

tia //lamboy

lAmBoY, Feb 16, 2004
  2. lAmBoY

julian2002 Muper Soderator

the cd2 is effectively the equivalent of the cdx / cdx2 however it is very old and if the transport goes kaput it will depend on the luck of the draw if naim will be able to repair it. while it works it is reputed to sound the best of the 3 but i have no personal experience with it.
    the cd 3.5 is the equivalent of the cd5, he could upgrade with a *cap and they are relatively recent. however i would say that if you're going 2nd hand then get a cdx and be done with it. they are a bout 1k 2nd hand at the moment so a bit of saving and use of a crack converters special may be necessary in the interim.
    if it was my money and i had to have a naim cdp NOW! i'd go for the 5i. it's a groovy little bugger and you're not going to be paranoid about the transport going pop in the immediate future and if it does then you're covered by the warranty. it's not upgradeable though.
    all 3 are reputed to be quite different in presentation so some listening might be in order too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 16, 2004
Ask a Question