my hifi.... how can i improve?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mentalmax, Jan 28, 2007.

1. mentalmax

zanash

I'd agree with the cdp2 suggestion ......

Also I'm not a great fan of the bus connections ...when I replaced the bus ic with a decent rca cable [77 707 in my case ]the sound suddenly had more life and colour.

The Bus is better than cheap cables/freebies so you need to experiment.

Davidf is right about placment and vibration managment of the speakers.....

zanash, Jan 29, 2007
  2. mentalmax

zanash

another limiting factor will be the other sets of speakers in the room... the stereo set need to be [from your pic] half as far appart again and as someone said out in front of the tv plane . This would mean moving the equipment ,may be closer to the tv. This is probably your lounge as well so you have to be able to live in it too!

It may be that its too difficult to be able to run a stereo and av system in the same place .....each will be to the detriment of the other in my experience [I've nothing against av systems by the way! ]

Where are you ?

zanash, Jan 29, 2007
  3. mentalmax

rodrat

Why not get a Yamaha 800 to run the centre and rears which would allow you to use your quads as the front speakers. This would cut down the clutter and give more space.

Rod

rodrat, Jan 29, 2007
  4. mentalmax

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Honestly mate, if it's taken 2 years worth of savings - I'd be looking at free tweaks rather than costly ones (or at least cheap ones). I'm simply saying it sounds like your love of hifi has stopped you spending money on other things in life.

I bet there's other things you'd rather spend your next years salary on - like a holiday or going out on the tiles?

The software package 'CARA' is about £80 and will help you get the most out of what you already have. There is a defeatured and not-so-good downloadable version. It's not in the same ball park, but better than nothing.

Have fun,
    Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jan 29, 2007
  5. mentalmax

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Interesting. Can't see from the piccy but is that insulation solid or are they 'tubes'? Is it load bearing? I'm currently using spiked mass loaded stands on metal discs (the 'laminate floor' problem) but I'm not convinced this is the best solution and was considering putting slate slabs between the spikes and the floor and blu-tac between the slabs and the floor.

johnfromnorwich, Jan 29, 2007
  6. mentalmax

DavidF

......it is.

this is the chappie.....

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/davidf_photo/Picture2027.jpg

....load bearing? I wouldn't have gone that far. (Pete....?)

the pic i showed is a fairly early incarnation (evolution perhapts).

The cut in the side is optional, just happened to suit my purposes.

DavidF, Jan 29, 2007
  7. mentalmax

DavidF

DavidF, Jan 29, 2007
  8. mentalmax

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

I suggest moving the speakers further apart, towing them in (to suit), and placing them on concrete paving slabs. Then, depending on the resultant soundstage you might wish to change the source. I've nothing against QUAD, they make great amps and (particularly,electrostatic)speakers, but I don't recall (but I could be mistaken - goodness, I sound like a politician!!) anyone "raving" about their CD players.

stevehi-fi, Jan 29, 2007
  9. mentalmax

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi.

You don't seem to have mentioned where you feel you need/want to improve. Where do you feel it's lacking performance wise?

Seems to perhaps just want to be upgrading for the sake of it?

MOve the speakers and spend your cash on music.

MO!, Jan 29, 2007
  10. mentalmax

DavidF

Matt,

Not to push a point here but having spent the last 12 months experimenting with tweaks I can't stress enough what a difference "siting" makes. Even if you have to rearrange your room a bit (and I did with mine big style) it can make everything snap into focus .....

DavidF, Jan 29, 2007
  11. mentalmax

ben556473

I would suggest that you try and re-arrange your room so that the Hi-Fi speakers are at one end (it looks like the room is a rectangle in shape from the picture) and have the listening position towards the other end of the room. This will give a greater distance between you and the speakers allowing a better triangle shape to the set up. The tv and tv speakers could stay where they are. Could you post some more photos so we can get a better idea? cheers, Ben

ben556473, Jan 29, 2007
  12. mentalmax

mentalmax

Thankyou to everybody who gave suggestions and input..
    I will certainly be playing about with positioning as this seems like the best and cheapest solution for improvement.
    I will try and book a demo to see if its worth replacing the preand cds with a cdp2.
    Thanks again.
    I love this site!!so helpful and honest!:)

mentalmax, Jan 30, 2007
  13. mentalmax

pixies a menace to society

Hello

According to Quad the variable output on the cdp is the same as exactly the same as the one in the preamp.

BUT the sound through the preamp is much better (in the context of the rest of my setup at least)

AB comparisons show a stodgy bloated base, marked lack of detail and a sound that is MUCH less engaging than with the preamp.

It's all personal opinion of course, but the difference is night and day.

pixies, Jan 30, 2007
  14. mentalmax

kt66

Kessler thinks the Quad CD player is the best for under £2k

I'd sell both the speakers and get a pair of good standmounts as the room is small. I'd look at Harbeth or Spendor.

Make sure NOTHING is inbetween speakers, no telly , hifi nothing.

You've got a great system there mate but I think you only getting 50% of the performance at the moment.

Have your seat and the speakers as an equilateral triangle.

kt66, Jan 31, 2007
  15. mentalmax

wolfgang

From the photo you've posted I think your room is aestheticaly very pleasing, tidy and balance. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more photos of the rest of the layout as I suspect the rest is just as nice and I am also interested to see whether you have some surround speakers and how did you resolve the problem of locating them in your living room. However, I am not sure which pair of speakers you like to use for most of your listening.

If you are using the Quad as the main monitors try swap the Mission and the Quad around. That might as be all you need to do. Then try see what happen placing them further apart from the TV. If that is not possible at least try push them forward a bit so that the speakers cones are in front of the TV surface.

wolfgang, Feb 1, 2007
  16. mentalmax

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

kt66, check your quotes, it was actually $2000 printed in the magazine.

sq225917, Feb 1, 2007
  17. mentalmax

kt66

what Magazine? HIFI news is in £'s

It's KK's favourite entry level player - what more can I say?

kt66, Feb 1, 2007
  18. mentalmax

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

yeh HFN, i read it last night and was surprised to see it does indeed say $2000 in the article, which was why it stuck in my mind.

perhaps he did mean £ but i'd be awfully surprised it he couldnt find something he liked more for double the money.

sq225917, Feb 1, 2007
Ask a Question