My HiFi Upgrade - An Update

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Seeker_UK, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

As said in previous thread, I am looking to upgrade my HiFi.

Following a recent exchange of e-mails with Tim @ Divine Audio, we've got the problem nailed (I think). It would seem that I've got the wrong speakers for the room so I'm off to see them tomorrow for an audition for some suitable replacements with a home dem of the best pair :MILD:

I'm not sure what they've got lined up but they major on Kef, Focal and ProAc.

More news as it happens. :)

Seeker_UK, Dec 23, 2008
  2. Seeker_UK

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

ProAc

YNMOAN, Dec 23, 2008
  3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Yes, that was my thought too - I think a pair of Studio 130s might fit the bill.

Seeker_UK, Dec 23, 2008
  4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

I went to Divine Audio today to audition some replacements for the Neat Petite / Gravitas. The following were tested:

ProAc Studio 110
    ProAc Studio 140
    Kef IQ70
    PMC GB1

First up was the Studio 140 and set up a very hard act to follow - the level of detail was astonishing. Even something as simple as Durutti Column's first album revealed something new.

The 110s offered just as much detail and the first track I played with them, "Spanish Key" from "Bitches Brew" led me to think they provided as much bass as I'd need. Other tracks played thorugh it revealed that this was not the case - the lack of bass left me to think that something was missing.

Change to the Kefs. Immediate thoughts were as much detail as the Studio 140s but a slightly smoother sound. As they warmed up though, perversely the sound, to me, got worse. Although the detail remained the imaging went a bit 'odd'. Sounds were either dead centre or if they moved from centre went immediately to the speaker ie no intermediate position.

Finally PMCs. For a little speaker they sounded great and were close to the sound of the Studio 140s.

At the end of this I could discount the 110s and the Kefs. The PMCs were also out - they really needed an amp with a minimum of 100 watts to make them work and so my Audiolab might struggle. So, next week I will be swapping the Neats for a pair of Studio 140s

Then, when finances allowm I can improve on the amp.

Seeker_UK, Dec 25, 2008
  5. Seeker_UK

zygote23

I've had the Studio 140's now for a couple of years. They are powered by an Icon Audio Stereo 40i (which I keep threatening to upgrade to a 60).
    I am still amazed by these speakers no matter what source I throw at them. As you say the level of detail is astonishing. I got a message from my Lodger a few minutes ago to check under his futon. He'd stashed a copy of Kind of Blue 50th anniversary edition for a Crimbo gift to me. Cool Lodger! It's blaring away in the lounge right now in all it's 180g blue vinyl glory.

You'll love the ProAcs.......Health to enjoy.

zygote23, Dec 25, 2008
  6. Seeker_UK

jerrykan If it moves, punk it

Nice gift from the lodger. Before you purchase these though have a chance to listen to Usher CP6371 floor standers if you have the chance. Won a gong in HiFi Plush awards 2008. Awesome.

jerrykan, Dec 26, 2008
  7. Seeker_UK

shrink

well as a focal user, i would say if its the electra BE range your looking at, then i think they are staggering performers. Care needs to be taken to partner them to suitable kit (although they are quite good in this regard). But get it right and the focals can reward far greater than any KEF's ive had the misfortune of hearing and are far beyond the talents of similarly priced spendors, dynaudios and B&W's

shrink, Dec 27, 2008
  8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Picked up the ProAcs today. As they are ex-dem they didn't need to be burned in so we set them up, sat down, and went through a stack of favourite spins.

Huge grin factor. Particular highlights were being able to hear all of the interplay between saxes, harmonica and guitar on Peter Hammill's "Viking", getting all of the bass notes that Vangelis plays on "Chung Kuo" and when playing "Insode Out" by John Martyn:

Other half (looking around room): "What just went 'thwack'?"
    Me : "Danny Thompson........." :)

Even without the benefit of the (fantastic but eye-wateringly expensive) Bryston pre/power and CD they sounded great. Just the right amount of bass for me - seems that stuffed between more expensive source / speakers my little Audiolab 8000a can hold its own.

More CDs tomorrow.

Seeker_UK, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question