My Ignorance

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by garyi, Feb 15, 2004.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Guys a few years back I was given a DVD player with 12 free films, you know the ones, no name DVD player with just a red light on the front.

Well thanks to my parents in law I am now the proud owner of what would appear to be a better one, its a JVC S42 or something.

I am guessing its better becuase it has lots of bits on the back, which is why I come to you.

What can I use the digital out for, it has both optical and coaxial.
    I also have an S-Video port and audio left and right.

Also an AV Compu LInk.

With the audio outs, I currently have the audio going from TV through the HIFI, would there be any benifits to the audio out on this player? I also have a scart on it, if I use this to connect to the TV will that provide the best audio solution or do I do something with the audio outputs as well.

Finally if one day I wanted a modest surround sound set up using my HIFI and this DVD player what componants would I need to purchase?

Sorry to sound dumb, but it would be nice to have an idea.

garyi, Feb 15, 2004
  2. garyi

julian2002 Muper Soderator

gary,
    ignore the digital outs at the moment you have nothing that can use them. just set the dvd player to down mix to stereo and plug the left and right outs into your 52 and enjoy.

when you come to get a surround system (i trust it won't be used for playing music?) a yamaha dsp e-800 is a cracking bit of kit (if they still make it) and the sound matches naim well enough. get one of these and hook the front channels up to your 52. connect the dvd players digital out to the yamaha and reset the dvd so it doesn;t down mix the signal. you'll also need a center and surround speakers. as you're unlikely to find much that'll match your sbl's i'd not spend a great deal on them, richer sounds has a decent selection of dedicated centers (some linns were on sale there a while ago iirc) and i'd recommend some di-polar rears to get a nice wide sound field from just 2 speakes without all this 6.1 or 7.1 malarkey. if you can't find the yamaha then a marantz sr 4200 is, i'm told, a good one too and has the requisite outs.
    for the bowel shaking bass you'll need a sub i'd recommend an mj accoustics pro 50 but i'm not really a sub officionado so there may be better / cheaper out there now. that should set you up so that you can enjoy movies as they are supposed to be enjoyed and all for not a huge amount of cash - well compared to the rest of your kit anyway :D.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 15, 2004
  3. garyi

adam

You can use it for many things,for example you can use the digi outs,for connecting a external DAC,if you felt its cd side of things isn't any good,you can use the other digi out to connect to a A/V reciever giving you either DD or DTS soundfor when you watch a DVD film.

You can use a scart that is RGB only,for picture and let the reciever on board decoding take care of the sound.Just bear in mind the space required for the extra boxes and sub,worth it though.

adam, Feb 15, 2004
Ask a Question