My Marantaz CD6000Ki on its way out?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Raymond Lin, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Got home from uni a couple weeks ago and can listen to my HiFi again ! woohoo ! I've been away from september to june for the past 3 years, and the CD player have had hardly any use when i am not home.

Now, i started to notice that i keep getting ERROR when i tried to play a disc. The problem can only be overcome by eject and then in again. This happens a few times on original CDs, and even if it does recongise it, when i try to select a track, i get an ERROR because the lens doesn't seem to be able to pick it up. The problem is worst when it comes to CD-R, could it be because i burn the CDs at 24X speed?

So i used the CD cleaner (about 10 times now), and it is a lot better with original CDs, i can select tracks now without getting ERROR, but still getting problems with some CD-Rs.

note, none of these CDs are scratched, you think a new CD cleaner might solve the problem? the CD cleaner i used is like 5 years old (thou i've not used it that much)

p.s. long time no see !

Raymond Lin, Jun 24, 2005
  2. Raymond Lin

mr cat Member of the month

I'm not that sure - but when I do burn audio cd's myself I alway use the slowest burning speed...not sure if that will help tho, but are you able to give that a go..??

what brand of cd's do you use..? - I tend to use branded ones too...

also, I use the allsop carbon cd cleaner, it's got little carbon fibers that gently brush over the lense...when I first used it, there was a marked difference in the sound quality - as my cd player is about 4 years old...!

mr cat, Jun 24, 2005
  3. Raymond Lin

T-bone Sanchez

Take the front cover of the CD drawer you'll find it works fine then. Im not sure why it happens or what the long term solution is.

T-bone Sanchez, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Raymond Lin

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Sounds like the laser tracks might be a bit dry and perhaps need a tiny smidge of oil or vaseline. Is it in a dirty or smoky environment. Could be crap on the lens. More likely it's just seized up a little and needs oil or grease.

technobear, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Raymond Lin

Lt Cdr Data om

I had probs with new cd6000ki with this, so I took them back to the shop.
    sad as its very nice, lovelyi build and internal construction, but imo not as exciting as the 63 which I preferred at the time.
    dunno the cure, I thought it was something to do with the new transport mechanism.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Raymond Lin

ChrisPa

Agreed
    My 6000 OSE LE struggles with CDs burned at high speed. I don't burn at anything over 16x. Although I suspect different CD-R drives will burn better than others at higher speeds.

ChrisPa, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Raymond Lin

T-bone Sanchez

I thought it was the transport, its not. If you watch the drawer go back and forth you can see movement in it. Sometimes, it doesnt go all the way back, we're only talking fraction here but its enough to stop the magnetic puck clamping the disk. If you take the front cover off the drawer it stops it for a while. You can also slacken the screws that hold he whole thing down and nudge it forward a couple of mm. This also works but ultimately it can come back. I think I have solved mine but its still going on ebay today.

8. Raymond Lin

zanash

There may also be a small reed switch or normal switch that just not tripped.

I agree with all comments ....dismantly remove all grease and relub with a suitable silicon lube .....but in all things be careful .

If your not confident get a service engineer to sort it.

Does anyone in the house hold smoke .....if so nicotine can coat,and seem into the all the various nooks and cranies.

Use a lens cleaner that is a wet and dry one.

zanash, Jun 24, 2005
  9. Raymond Lin

T-bone Sanchez

I couldnt find any switches on mine. I changed the transport twice, its only then I realised it was something mechanical. I think if the original did all of the above he should get something out of it. Belts and braces job really.

10. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Thanks for the replies guys, well, the CD-R are Verbatim, which in the grand scheme of things, one of the better brands of CD-R you can buy.

As for the environment it's in, it's in the living room, no one smoke in the house and it has basically just sat there. The TOC reading ERROR only happens with CD-R, half the time when the disc innitaly goes in, if it's fine when its first in, i might get that ERROR when i select a specific track.

I don't think it's the in/out mechanism, it goes in and out ok, doesn't seem any different than i last used it. Makes all the same noises, i might go get a new CD- cleaner today and see how that goes.

11. Raymond Lin

T-bone Sanchez

Take the case off and watch what happens, Im sure you'll see that when you get the Error message the disk isnt properly clamped. I spent a couple of hours using it without the case on to suss it. We're only taking fractions here but its enough.

12. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Just another note, the CD also has problem with Original CDs with copy protection.

13. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

What do you mean by taking the front off? the mean, and how? just pull it?

Opening the unit up is the last thing i want, although the unit is out of warranty now so it wouldn't make any difference.

14. Raymond Lin

T-bone Sanchez

Its only a few screws and your in, you can see everything you need too.

I mean take the front of the CD drawer off, the plastic piece with the Compact Disc logo on. To do this just press eject, when the drawer is open turn it off and flip it over. You'll notice two plastic clips holding the front on. Gently leaver them off with a flat-blade screwdriver and it just pops off. See how you go.

15. Raymond Lin

RDD Longterm Lurker

Yep, my CD6000OSE does the same with CD-Rs, it has a seriously sensitive read mechanism for some reason, and mine also does the same with the track selection.

Sometimes if it does read the CD-R without getting the ERROR message you can let it play through and it will be OK, but if you try and select a track it's game over - yet stick the same copied/compilation CD into my Micromega (which predates the Marantz by many years, to the point when CD-R was in its infancy and extremely expensive) and it will read it every time....go figure.

My solution, well I gave up and simply stopped trying CD-Rs at all in it, if you figure out a solution or media that works I'd be very interested to know :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2005
    RDD, Jun 24, 2005
  16. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Well, i am kinda glad it isn't just me then !

I've notice that wtih original CDs now i can select any track no problem, with CD-R, it hates it !

17. Raymond Lin

monotone

As good value or sounding with Marantz player, I am getting wary about how much testing they've done before they launch their product.

My SA17 SACD/CD player failed to read a few SACDs. I sent the player in for test, they claimed it needed a software update. And when it came back, the SACD side of things worked perfectly but stopped reading copy protected CDs. I called back, and they claimed the SA17 can't read copy protected disc (but it previously did play). Their 'kind' solution was for me to convert my CD and burn it to a format that gets rid of copy protection encoding.

How many players in the market priced like the SA17 and can't read copy protected disc? Is it really that common?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2005
    monotone, Jun 27, 2005
  18. Raymond Lin

TL Geezer

"Error" displayed when attempting to play CD-Rs is caused by a missing capacitor on the transport's HF Amp pcb.
    Search 'Marantz CD6000 "ERROR" messages - Help!' on diyAudio.com, and go to page 5 for the fix.
    Fitting the capacitor solved my problems with CD-Rs.

TL Geezer, Jun 27, 2005
  19. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

you mean this post?

"The problem with reading CD-Rs is caused by a missing 10pF capacitor on the HF Amp pcb.
    The HF Amp pcb is attached to the underside of the transport.
    The transport has to be removed from the machine in order to access this pcb.
    Orientate the copper (track) side of the pcb so that the semi-circular cutaway in the narrow tongue of the pcb is facing downwards.

You will see a group of four or five surface-mount resistors and capacitors situated adjacent to and above IC7404 (PC74HCU04D), which is the smaller of the two ICs on the other (component) side of the pcb, the other IC being 7500 (TDA1302T).

In the middle of the square formed by this group of resistors and capacitors you will see a space labelled 2509, (located immediately to the right of 3504, a 22K resistor).
    This is the location of the missing 10Pf capacitor, which if it were present, would be connected in parallel with the 22K resistor (3504). I found that an ohm meter was very useful here, just to be sure the vacant pads were in parallel with 3504.

Since I added a ceramic disk capacitor to my machine (my eyes are not good enough to worh with surface-mount components), I've not had any problems with any makes of CD-R.

I hope this fix solves your problems too.

Unfortunately I do not have any schematics or drawings of this mod."

I dunno where to start to find the right capacitor, nevermind how to put it in !

Raymond Lin, Jun 27, 2005
Ask a Question