My Mono Rig

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jtc, Nov 28, 2005.

1. jtc

jtc

Hi folks. My better half is complaining about the presence of my retro Mono Rig (complete with Big Horn) but I rather like it. It's a 1920s/early 30s Sommeil in oak, with a Garrard mechanism (retrofitted to replace the original). It plays, and sounds basically like the big scratchy gramophone it is. Still, looks VERY cool (in my opinion) and there's a certain *rightness* about the sound of needle on shellac... ;)

[​IMG]

...Anyone else into 'retro reproduction'?

John

jtc, Nov 28, 2005
  2. jtc

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

awesome looking horn that John.

Dont let the mrs put you off!

bottleneck, Nov 28, 2005
  3. jtc

jtc

Yeah, my own mum has a box of late 50s and early 60s 78s - nothing too exciting, mainly the pop of the day (Elvis, Bill Hayley, Cliff :rolleyes: ) which I keep meaning to bring over and put through its paces. My one 78 at the moment (Jimmy Shand - who needs more than one record anyway, I say ;) ) is beginning to get a bit worn (as they do)

jtc, Nov 28, 2005
  4. jtc

la toilette Downright stupid

It looks like a huge and very angry anus.

I like 70's retro, and am very tempted by the Luxman kit on ebay at the mo':
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5834539753&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

1920's is a bit early for me, although a bit of nouveau stylee is never a bad thing.

Edit: Actually, the more I look at that horn, the better it looks, and not because it reminds me of an anus, ha ha.....and having looked at the original post where it mentioned 'retro reproduction' the whole anus thing is becoming more and more inappropriate.

It looks very.....er....nice.

la toilette, Nov 28, 2005
  5. jtc

Anex Thermionic

Thats lovely :) I want one. Especially if it lets me hear cliff in full 78 revolutions per minute glory

EDIT: If your good lady reads this thread and is planning to get rid of it whilst your out she can gladly drop it off round at mine :D

Anex, Nov 28, 2005
  6. jtc

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Don't let Ivor know you've got that in the room when you're playing the rest of the system ;)

SteveC, Nov 28, 2005
  7. jtc

narabdela

To get the best out of that rig, you need to unearth some old pre-electric acoustic 78's. They actually sound better played back acoustically than electrically.
    It's the most authentic analogue sound of all.

narabdela, Nov 29, 2005
Ask a Question