My new baby!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ovalmarc, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ovalmarc

Noel Winters

Rob Holt you of all people must read HIFI Plus thoseT/T have had more exponential
    than Richard DUNN a man of humour sometimes.

Noel Winters, Aug 22, 2010
  2. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

I for one haven't read a copy of it in my life. In fact I haven't bought or read a hi-fi rag since 2000.

Richard Dunn, Aug 22, 2010
  3. ovalmarc

Noel Winters

Richard my friend Please do me a favour and go to the Walker Black Diamond T/T

Richard my friend do me a favour and go to the Walker audio site there you will see
    the most stunning line of audio products including the Black DiamondT/T. ALL very expencive all sound out of this world. As an 84 year old WW2 war pensioner i still
    beleive in Roy Gregory i loved his write up on speakers you could all most hear them
    playing well at my age you are lucky to hear anything .Old age is not like old audio
    equiptment it dont get any better the longer you keep it. Noel W.

Noel Winters, Aug 23, 2010
  4. ovalmarc

Alan Brown

Nothing sounds good because of a write up, a pretty picture, its price or an endorsement....am I to understand you are defending a product you haven't heard?

Alan Brown, Aug 23, 2010
  5. ovalmarc

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I find it hard to believe a word said by Roy Gregory. Years and years of promoting Nordost in HIFI+ then what happens, we find out not only does his Mrs worked for the UK arm, but he's now the bloody marketing guy. I'm sorry but that's just too cosy for me and I can't help wondering how long he might have been feathering his nest at my expense.

I too love the way he writes, but then I'm looking at it differently I assume, because I write 'copy' for a living as well.

I haven't heard the Walker stuff, but some of his claims for accessories are bordering on what I consider to be foo.

sq225917, Aug 23, 2010
  6. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

There is too much silly stuff at silly prices and this just looks like more of it.

I have one turntable running which cost me £56 at ebay, of all the turntables I have heard the only one that may have bettered it is the Trio L07D in the early 80's. It is a Pioneer PL71 and it is astonishingly good, and so far away from any belt drive as to be different music - thank goodness!

I also have a Garrard 401 which I have yet to plinth. No silly money product even if promoted by the audio version of Jeremy Clarkson will make me change, I would never (and my wife would also kill me) buy a product that losses half its value as soon as you pay for it and walk out the shop. Those days are over.

Richard Dunn, Aug 23, 2010
  7. ovalmarc

theo

I've been looking out for Trio L-07D. Rare as rocking horse poo in the UK, but found 3 in the US, priced between $4,500 and $6,000! Blimey, when did that happen? I can remember them being under £1K second hand 7-8 years ago. Think I'll pass...

theo, Aug 23, 2010
  8. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

And the reason I stopped using and sold my L-07D, because using it at shows people walked in my room and said "he is not using a Linn :eek:" or "he is using some sort of Jap crap", so I bought a Linn and put up with worse music but greater acceptance i.e. the FF-ing brainwash that ruled this industy. I regretted selling it ever since.

9. ovalmarc

theo

I bet you do, especially at the prices they're going for now.

I know that Vantage Audio in the UK can fettle old ones to new(ish) condition - just need to find one to fettle.

theo, Aug 23, 2010
  10. ovalmarc

nando nando

i will keep my technics sl-160 mk 2 and sme 3009 with sure v-15 mk111 but love my reel to reel,

nando, Aug 23, 2010
  11. ovalmarc

theo

Richard - OT I know, but have you ever fancied sticking your Garrard 401 in an acrylic plinth? Either 2 x 20mm bonded, or 2 x 20mm separated by spacers?

theo, Aug 23, 2010
  12. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

OK so finally people have cottoned on to how good a L-07D really is and we now have a band wagon effect. But there are still PL-71 type undiscovered bargains out there for those that finally get rid of the brainwash.

Good direct drives (forget the plastic cheap ones), good and cheap rim drives like the Goldring / Lenco. Plenty to try and have fun with.

13. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

That is what I am going to do, but I was thinking of balancing the weight and having some fairly compliant valve springs one on each corner between the plates.

14. ovalmarc

RobHolt Moderator

Micro did some great DDs and I enjoyed my time with the DDX1000 a few years ago.

Top end JVCs were also excellent like the QL7 and QL10.
    The latter make for excellent DIY projects as the circular motor unit sits in a self contained metal drum and the whole thing can be lifted clear of the original plinth.

Still have a QL7 somewhere in the garden shed.

RobHolt, Aug 23, 2010
  15. ovalmarc

danworth81 english through n through

basis 1400 all acrylic as in my avatar great TT but sold a while back, considering a something clearaudio or very unusual any suggestions

danworth81, Aug 24, 2010
  16. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

A Micro Seiki or Denon flying saucer mounted on a 20mm clear acylic slab would look nice.

Richard Dunn, Aug 24, 2010
  17. ovalmarc

Noel Winters

Richard will back me up on this.A THorens TD850 with AC motor removed from plinth
    and an Origin Live Ultra Motor kit fitted with the bigger 200 motor free standing and the large Transformer fitted also an SME 309 Arm all standing on a box with a floating
    top suppended on 10 Vibrapods and Cones Cartridge of preference i am using a
    Audio Technica AT 33 EV.OR Ortofon Ronda BronzeFG 80 Stylus. Sounds Good.
    But hard to get a belt the right length and tension.Noel W.

Noel Winters, Aug 25, 2010
  18. ovalmarc

Richard Dunn

No I wont, its got a twangy rubber belt still :p

Replace the belt with a drive cord and we might have something.

Richard Dunn, Aug 25, 2010
  19. ovalmarc

danworth81 english through n through

Umm sounds like a plan but I dont want a belt either!

danworth81, Aug 25, 2010
Ask a Question