MY new cans:Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by analoguekid, Jul 21, 2004.

1. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

I am awaiting a pair of cans that need to be connected to the speaker out on your power amp, they come witha switch box to mute speakers and allow @phone use.

I would rather not add this switch box into my system as this may compromise sound quality and don't want to disconnect anytime I want to use phones, I was considering putting my old monoblocks onto second pre out, using S/E instead of balanced like my main amp, the Phones would then be connected to the Mono's.

My question is, can anyone see a problem with this, is it ok to add poweramps this way, and them not really running anything, when playing music through speakers, will any damage occur?

Ta
    AK

analoguekid, Jul 21, 2004
  2. analoguekid

felix part-time Horta

Try it both ways. It's a trade-off as to whether the switchbox degrades things more than the additional amplifier input loading-down the preamp. I'd hazard a guess the switchbox may actually be preferable.

felix, Jul 21, 2004
  3. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thanks felix

What loading would the power amps be switched off, any ideas anyone?

4. analoguekid

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul, Im not sure but i think the loading (input impedance) will be the same switched off, due to it being decided by passive components. Unless the is a relay circuit on the input of the power amp.
    What amps are they?

penance, Jul 21, 2004
  5. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Shhh they are MF xa 50s. TA

6. analoguekid

penance Arrogant Cock

OK
    I wont ask to buy them then ;)

penance, Jul 21, 2004
  7. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Andy they are not typical of the breed, but they need a good pre, I may sell these and buy a headphone amp.

8. analoguekid

penance Arrogant Cock

MM, Pre, i'll be ordering a Trancsendant grounded grid pre this week (early b/day pressie)
    Anyway, im side tracking your thread..............

penance, Jul 21, 2004
  9. analoguekid

felix part-time Horta

Penance is right - when the additional amps are off, they'll still load down the preamp output. Amp inputs are resistive, with a little parasitic capacitance (plus that of your additional interconnect cable). That is, unless you put another selector switch in series with the preamps second output - in which case you're back to the same basic problem! Still try it all and see; there's no telling otherwise.

So, what are the cans that need a power amp? AKGs? If they are, a regular headphone amp will not cut it

Edit - BTW, to completely answer the question, the amp inputs are probably about 50K. Two in parallel, 25K; but also twice the capacitance of interconnects - hence my comment about the preamp being loaded down. Depends on the pre entirely of course, but if it's an opamp driving the output, such loads may have a noticeable effect. Which does'nt necessarily mean you won't like it...so try it every way. Ain't audio a bitch sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
    felix, Jul 21, 2004
  10. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

No they are ERGO Amt bought blind I know but worth a try, I may buy the dedicated amp(if I can find a seller in th uk) but want to see what they sound like first

Specs for their amp
    ERGO Amp 1 hedphone amplifier electrical datas
    output: (rms. 4 Ohm)… 3. Watt
    input sensitivity: 200 mV for 3. Watt out
    input impedance: 22Kohm
    amplification: 20 dB
    frequency: 20 - 20 kHz +/- 1 dB
    output impedance: 2 - 600 Ohms
    size: W 200 x D 180 x H 70mm
    weight (w/o adapter) 1.1 Kg.
    voltage: 230 AC input / 13 VAC 0.5 Amp.

Is there anything similar out there?

Ta AK

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
  11. analoguekid

Tenson Moderator

Take a look at...

Cayin (or Spark) HA1

AudioValve RKV MKII

Berning Micro-ZOTL

All quite expensive unfortunately, as really to deliver 3watts they are small integrated amps.

good luck,

Tenson, Jul 21, 2004
  12. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thanks Tenson

will look them up Ergo's own amp is abot £180-£200 but can't seem to find any listing in the UK, these others may be able to be got S/H

AK

13. analoguekid

felix part-time Horta

If those Ergos have anything in common with the Jecklin Floats they resemble, you're in for a real treat.

Since they definitely appear to need a power amp due to low impedance (albeit few watts) I'd look for something that runs in Class-A for the first couple at least. Enjoy!

felix, Jul 21, 2004
  14. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah felix made by the company that used to build JF, these ones are the electrostatic type. called Air Motion Transfer or summat like that, retail for £600, but picked em up on ebay for a £150 hoping it's the bargain I think it is, they have a dedicated amp for just under £200 and have emailed stone audio(they sell the headphones) and the swiss maufacturer so hoping I can use that to drive them.

Thanks for your help guys.

Paul

analoguekid, Jul 22, 2004
  15. analoguekid

greg Its a G thing

I hope you get a reply. I have been considerably unimpressed with their customer service to say the least. Having bought a 3K CD player from them and two different interconnects to demo, I never received my money back on the one I returned - even though I chased it up for months. Also giving them a second chance - I emailed twice for advice regards amp upgrades and never heard a dickie bird back. Shame as I like their web site and general concept - though I think they appear to punch above their actual weight if you know what I mean.
    However I'm sure if you simply place an order you'll get the goods, just dont expect any TLC.
    Just my experience.
    G

greg, Jul 22, 2004
  16. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thanks for that Greg I only emailed last night, but I won't hld my breath. I hope you eventually got your cash back.

17. analoguekid

greg Its a G thing

Unfortunately I never got my £119 back. They have a policy of allowing home demoing if you pay for the product in full - they then provide a full refund if returned in as new condition. I sent the cable via registered post, after a delay of 8 weeks (whilst I just expected the credit to appear on my CC) I then chased it up six times and was told it would be checked and a refund made to my credit card, eventually couldnt get through to the main guy and ultimately dropped the matter simply due to work pressures. :( If I wasnt so busy I'd prob have got a little more stern, but time has passed etc..

greg, Jul 22, 2004
  18. analoguekid

sideshowbob Trisha

I've bought a couple of smallish things from them in the past, but I wouldn't again. Slow delivery times, telling me something was available from stock when it wasn't, that kind of thing.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 22, 2004
  19. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thanks guys, they haven't replied yet anyway.

Greg could your card company not help, or get a lawyer to send a letter, the least they should do is return the leads, this is bordering on theft, IMO. It's never too late.

Paul

20. analoguekid

paul2724

Agreed AK. This is one of the cases where either a complaint to trading standards (a letter from them can really get some action ;) ), or even a claim in the small claims courts can be useful..... (although not 100% sure if small claims courts applicable to England....)

paul2724, Jul 22, 2004
Ask a Question