My new Ibiza 5 months on - report

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Dec 19, 2008.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

It's still moving.

That is all.

MO!, Dec 19, 2008
  2. MO!

lbr monkey boy

Sounds like you need to get the handbrake looked at. You should probably get a full service, MOT, engine steam clean, oil change and botox injections while your at it.

lbr, Dec 19, 2008
  3. MO!

mr cat Member of the month

but....how far has it actually moved? :D

mr cat, Dec 19, 2008
  4. MO!

Dev Moderator

You just jinxed it dude!

Dev, Dec 19, 2008
  5. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Ibizas do generally run better when you put round tyres on them :)

amazingtrade, Dec 19, 2008
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've seen the world! The world I tells ya!

Back and forth to cardiff a few times a week and up to kidderminster a couple of times too.

ok, so maybe not quite the world then.

I'll have a look in the morning and see how many miles I've actually done..... place your bets now!

MO!, Dec 19, 2008
  7. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Probably yeah!

There's a few issues with it, but it gets me from a-b without any real hassle so can't complain.

*90% of the time it'll start first time, other times I have to half turn the key and wait a second and then turn it over otherwise nothing. Not like it's even trying and failing... just nothing. Starter motor?
    *Don't think the rear screen heater works properly.
    *The stereo is a bit temperamental at times and will squeal when turned off or pressed! Again, 90% of the time it's fine.
    *The wipers get stuck at times and need to be poked to get them moving (this is the only issue I'm really bothered about for now).
    *passenger side electric window wont close all the way with just the button.... needs some manual (hand on window) input too.

Biting point seems a bit high too, and i've had to top up the break fluid a couple of times too.

eh? :confused:

MO!, Dec 19, 2008
  8. MO!

Mo! it was a silly joke :). Suggesting if you put square tyres on it won't move.

Regarding your clutch is it a hydraulic one, if so the brake fliud loss and high biting point may be related, the hydraulic fliud could be leaking onto the clutch plate although it should be slipping if that was the case. My dads Fiesta used a lot of brake fluid, it was just a leaky slave cylinder it has fixed itself now though - how odd.

I would check where the fluid is leaking, if it is just the clutch then as longs as you top it up no safety worries, but if it is the brakes there could be sudden failure of half your braking system, at the very least you need to find out where the leak is.

It sounds like you've had some good use out of it anyway I wish got the chance to drive my car more but it is simply nothing more than an expensive shopping trolly atm.

Mo the starting problem may be flywheel, my grandads Lada did exactly the same thing, and it turned out some teeth were missing of it so even when the starter was trying to crank the engine it couldn't due to the missing teeth. I wouldn't worry about that yet though unless it becomes of a more of a problem.

But anyway how is your driving coming on now? It sounds like you're a lot more expereinced than I am. I still have not got over the speed camera paraonia thing yet.

amazingtrade, Dec 20, 2008
  9. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've no idea if my clutch is hydraulic. I'm not sure what you mean by slipping, but I've neve rnoticed anything bad other than quite a high bite. It might not even be that high, just higher than what I learnt in. I've not enough experience with other cars to know what's what.....

With the starting issue... It's not like it even tries and fails. It's just sometimes when I turn the key the electrics will come on, then nothing. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I tend to turn the electrics, then wait a few seconds then turn the engine on. Seems to work most of the time.

My driving... I eased myself into it. I think there's a balance between taking your time and also forcing yourself into it. Experience brings confidence, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle the car in most circumstances now.
    Tight manouvering and parking aren't great, but getting better.

I enjoy it, and wish I'd have learnt years ago.

MO!, Dec 21, 2008
  10. MO!

I enjoy it just hate the feeling of being watched due to the stupid amount of cameras, as you know it only takes two silly mistakes and we are both banned and back to being a learner.

I wouldn't worry too much about the starting issue, with my car I have a policy of ignoring little things like an odd buzzing sound etc and only get safety things fixed, e.g tyres or brakes.

I did get the oil done, and changed the air filter myself but I would have been daft not to.

I also agree with getting the balance right, as sometimes I push myself into things, I am now fine at driving in the dark for example and wonder what all the fuss was about, but I am trying to get perfect at driving in the roads I know well but obviously coping with unexpected things then once I am a really good driver it will be much easier to cope with strange roads.

I did get lost when I went for a long drive and got stuck in a horrible part of Manchester (Sale Moor if anybody knows it) lots of one way systems etc. It did moost my confidence and realised the silly mistake I made afrerwards so that sort of knocked it.

I am still at the stage where I would rather park half a mile away than have to a parrerel park, which is odd since I did it perfectly in my test.

amazingtrade, Dec 21, 2008
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I don't. :)

MO!, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question