My new toy: Modded DIGILOG DAC (TDA1541A)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jun 9, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I've just set up my new toy... apologies for the poor picture, but I really need to get a rack at some stage. Its a heavily modded Musical Fidelity Digilog DAC (one of the very first DACs ever) and is based on the fashionable Philips TDA1541A chip, a superior version to the 1543 found on most of the ebay NOS DAC's kicking around lately.

Just in case you might have missed it the first time, here is the mods:-

[​IMG]

First impressions? Pretty good actually - I'd say this upgrade was probably on par with any of the other upgrades I've done before. It has a lovely detailed, yet fast, and smooth sound. Sounds really natural and detailed, with nice bass and smooth treble. My system officially rocks :D

As it stands now, my system is:-

Squeezebox 3 ---> MF Digilog DAC ---> Onix OA21 amp (speakers) or ANT Amber (headphones) ---> Rega Ela (speakers) or Beyerdynamic DT531 (headphones)

Total cost: Around £950 including cables and headphones rig. This system sounds VERY good considering the modest cost. :D

PBirkett, Jun 9, 2006
  2. PBirkett

zanash

Have you forgotten to mod the diodes? swapping for schottky's will lower the noise floor and help improve all aspects of the player. Also case damping and providing a good support will also aid performance.

zanash, Jun 10, 2006
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I didnt mod it... it was already modded when i bought it. But anyway, it sounds absolutely marvellous to these ears. Very expressive sound with lots of speed and detail, and very smooth too. Its great :D

PBirkett, Jun 10, 2006
Ask a Question