My new toy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robM, Oct 21, 2009.

1. robM

robM

Just got my new toy. It's an Ortofon MC-A90 moving coil cartridge. I'll keep you all posted on what it sounds like on Saturday/Sunday as I would have put the listening hours in by then.

The system it's going into is:

VPI HRX turntable
    Kuzma 4 point tonearm
    Ortofon MC A90
    Whest MC REF V Phonostage
    Lamm Preamp
    ATC Active 150SL

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  2. robM

ReVoX

Ortofon

Oh you lucky so and so.

Would love to hear your impressions of the MC A-90.
    I retired my MC 7500 last year and replaced it with the Windfeld, both great cartridges incidentally, although I'm guessing the new Ortofon flagship raises the bar further still.

Looks like an interesting design from the Danes, this being their first "nude" cartridge(I think) and limited to a production run of 400.

Stuart

Attached Files:

ReVoX, Oct 21, 2009
  3. robM

robM

Yes it should be interesting as I also use a Windfeld at the moment which is excellent, but I thought I'd love a change.
    What turntable/phono do you run?

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  4. robM

ReVoX

I'm using a Pink Triangle Anniversary with SME V and Windfeld being fed through a TEAD Groove into a TEAD Vibe.

ReVoX, Oct 21, 2009
  5. robM

robM

Nice combination. Anniversary/SME V/Windfeld. I bet that works a treat!

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  6. robM

ReVoX

Yeah, it's not bad.

ReVoX, Oct 21, 2009
  7. robM

robM

I had an Anni/SME V/Koetsu Red Sig and it took a lot to beat it. I went from the Anni to the VPI.

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  8. robM

ReVoX

I've held off replacing the deck(now 15+ years old) whilst posting lots of messages on various forums, basically playing devil's advocate, bemoaning the Anniversary's build and old technology.

Light touch paper and retire. Many vociferous replies later the Annie remains.
    Oddly enough, I spoke with Arthur Khoubessarian last weekend and he made mention of the Anniversary Mk II becoming a real possibility.

I suppose my next deck will be the final one, quite a few candidates here: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=4569

Let the boy dream..........

ReVoX, Oct 21, 2009
  9. robM

SCIDB Moderator

Hi RobM,

How many cartridges do you own? You seemed to be Mr Ortofon.

This does look interesting. I see you have Winfeld. I have this on my cartridge short list as an upgrade from a Jubilee, which I currently use. Have you owned a Jubilee? If so what was the difference between it and the Winfeld?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 21, 2009
  10. robM

robM

SCIDB

I don't sell my cartridges, just keep them as backups and have had them all re-tipped by ES. I have about 12-15 cartridges but no Jubilee. During the Jubilee time I used a Transfig and my old faithful - the retipped Red Signature. I'm not a fan of the new Koetsu RS. The older ones I feel sound like Koetsu's and when you get them retipped they lose their sluggishness. I say sluggishness compared with the more modern MCs. An old Koetsu RS that has been retipped is really nice and costs nothing really - £500 body and £250 for a retip!

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  11. robM

nando nando

hi robm, i am just to have my cadenza black, smile,
    nando.

nando, Oct 21, 2009
  12. robM

robM

what is it like?

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  13. robM

nando nando

i will let you know once i dub it in,
    nando.

nando, Oct 21, 2009
  14. robM

ReVoX

Windfeld

Hello SCIDB,

I've had a long relationship with many Ortofons, starting with an MC2000, then a MC3000 Mk II, MC5000 on loan, two Rohmanns, an MC7500 and now, a Windfeld. Oddly enough, I've never heard a Jubilee.

I like the ease of presentation, midrange, balance and "rightness" that the Ortofon brings coupled with reliability.

There's not much separating these cartridges at the top of the tree, I reckon it might come down to personal preference and component synergy, forget the reviews - audition and listen.

ReVoX, Oct 21, 2009
  15. robM

robM

nando

I use a Dynavector 10x5 for my Lovers stuff... sounds really good.

robM, Oct 21, 2009
  16. robM

nando nando

cadenza black, awesome,:JOEL:
    nando.

nando, Oct 22, 2009
  17. robM

nando nando

In Stock Soon,
    Nando.

nando, Oct 24, 2009
  18. robM

robM

yes, I heard the Cadenza at a dealer in Munich, very nice. Wonder how close it is to a Windfeld?

robM, Oct 24, 2009
  19. robM

robM

My A90 update in my system:

VPI HRX turntable
    Kuzma 4 point tonearm
    Ortofon MC A90
    Whest MC REF V Phonostage
    Lamm Preamp
    ATC Active 150SL

Well..

The Ortofon A-90 is in a very different league to the Windfeld I had been playing for the past 12 months. In every area the A-90 is so much better than anything else I have heard in my system.

I've been spinning LPs by 70's Japan, 70's Doobie Brothers, 70's Cameo, The Impressions, Steely Dan, Coltrane, Hargrove, Dennis Brown and many more.

The way the A-90 sounds is so much more lifelike. Instruments take on a very different dimension. More 3D if that makes any sense. If you have never experienced 3D in your system then get a Windfeld or ZYX Airy 3.

The bass extension and precision on the A-90 are second to nothing else I've heard and more importantly bass 'space' is uncannily live. The midband is so clear and clean that you think there is someone sitting in your living room singing and the high-frequency is delicate but detailed and sizzling with life. The noise floor has dropped also.

As for things like pace, timing etc....WOW. Everything I have played 'feels' like it should. The dynamic range of my vinyl system has been 'upped' by what sounds like 80dB. The soundstage and imaging is SO much better... not that the Windfeld was not good at that but the A-09 is just much more realistic.

I'm loving this system more and more. I've been collecting vinyl since I was about 9 years old and have just under 12000 LPs in total. Mainly Jazz, Soul, Northern Soul, Roots Reggae, 70's prog rock and 70's folk and everything I have played from each genre sounds like --- 'I discovered it all over again'.

Would I recommend the A90... Hell Yes! Yes it's bloody expensive but then you only live once.

robM, Oct 25, 2009
Ask a Question