my proacs have been wasted....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

by...

Avi biggatron red spot, these are fab.

goodbye proacs, they are good, but the avis are better.

things are sounding superb now via these, the crest beast amp, I can switch the enhancer in and out to tune to taste.

The biggatrons top and mid is superb, they have a 'crack' on percussion, too.
    very pleased.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 20, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

wolfgang

Good choice. One of the best around. Compared all 3 standmounts AVIs against other makes few years back. They seem have that something magical about them.

wolfgang, Jun 21, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

hifienthusiast

I had a pair of poor condition AVI Biggatron last year. They are superb speakers. The midrange is one of the best that I have ever heard, much better than the LS35a. I really regret selling them since I didn't pay much for them.

Regards
    Hon

hifienthusiast, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jun 21, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

ListeningEar

You guys need to get out more if you think the AVI's are that good :p hehehe

Each to their own I suppose. I thought build quality was actually quite poor and they could not even come close sonically to a certain brand of loudspeaker from the USA! (one new dealer sent their AVI's back after taking on the USA speaker).

But then, if the AVI's are giving you that much staisfaction already then that's great. ;)

ListeningEar, Jun 21, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

wolfgang

What brand of speakers is that? Are we comparing toys in the same price bracket? I am always on the look out for better.

wolfgang, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

avi are a minor maker who don't have the large appeal of a bigger one, think more like £20 bottle of wine to £5 aussie.
    I suspect its partly to do with sales, it always is...bottom line is they won't sell enuff, nothing to do with ability

build is superb, are you talking about the same spx., one of the best builds there are, greaves cabinets, good as castle(atc, living voice, proac and others...)

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 22, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

hifienthusiast

I have owned AVI NuNeutron and Biggatrons in the past. They both sound superb and the build quality is first class. I would even say the build quality is one of the best among other brands than I have owned: Dynaudio, ATC, Spendor, Rogers, Tannoy, Acoustic Energy, Quad.......

Our experiences are certainly very different.

Hon

hifienthusiast, Jun 22, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Spenny

I've had a pair of AVI Positrons (serial number 0002) for ten years and have still to hear a pair of speakers to match them overall in performance up to £3,000.

The finish is excellent on my pair and attracts alot of admiration from people who see them, similary when they hear them!!

I picked up a used pair of Positrons for £225 recently on ebay for a friend's new Tag McLaren HT system which I'm installing in France next week, he bought AVI Neutron 4's for the rears and I'm sure he won't be dissappointed with the result!

Spenny, Jun 22, 2005
  10. Lt Cdr Data

ListeningEar

Von Schweikert VR-1 monitor. Sit this next to the AVI's and the AVI will look like it has come from Tandy/Radio Shack. Sonically the AVI sound flat and uninvolving compared to the VR-1's.

But hey, that's only my opinion and those of dealers that did the listening tests at the time back in 2003/2004.

ListeningEar, Jun 22, 2005
  11. Lt Cdr Data

Lefty

I'm currently using AVI Neutron IV's and find them to be superb speakers. I bought them when I went to audition B&W 705's (yuk!) and I actually ended up preferring the AVI's at nearly half-price!

I find that they are a very honest speaker - they'll tel you the truth about whatever you are feeding them. Consequently, they can sound bad with poor quality electronics. However, give 'em a good source and quality amp and I'm sure people will be pleasantly surprised at what they can do ;)

Lefty

Lefty, Jun 23, 2005
Ask a Question