My sort of website...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Nov 20, 2003.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

tones, Nov 20, 2003
  2. tones

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah it is a good site. Its also got a forum (albeit a bit dead), but I cant see many people from here joining up :D

PBirkett, Nov 20, 2003
  3. tones

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Do you know the sites I hate the most in the world are ones with black backgrounds and white text, won't these guys grow up!

garyi, Nov 20, 2003
  4. tones

Mind you tones its a good one for WM to read, espcially the top ten thing toward the bottom.

Burn in anyone?

garyi, Nov 20, 2003
  5. tones

Paul your website with the PC specs is hilareous!

garyi, Nov 20, 2003
  6. tones

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Some times black backgrounds and text works well. However it is a bit of cheap design solution like frames. I have used both of these methods in the past but don't anymore. My university society has both of these but its because the site was only supposed to be a quick site done in a rush.

My professional site I am currently working on which is database driven has very simple white backgrounds with red links and black text. The look is very clean and slick.

Things in web design seem to come in fashions at the moment all the rage is database driven sites so its intereactive 3 years ago flash was all the rage now flash is not so hot anymore. However I think database driven sites offer real value and will be the future.

Flash is too much of a look what I can do thing just to boost the ego of web designers and not give a though to the poor users at the other end. Flash intros were a prime example of this. There are occasions when flash sites stilll work well and minimal flash animation on a site is fine.

I've gone a bit off topic here sorry.

At the end of the day there is no right ot wrong way as longs as the site loads quickly, is easy navigate and read it should work well.

amazingtrade, Nov 20, 2003
  7. tones

PBirkett VTEC Addict

You like? :p

PBirkett, Nov 20, 2003
  8. tones

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've seen all the PC stuff before including exact kernal details and stuff from people at uni it is quite amusing. However I found this article of interest.

http://www.aocf43.dsl.pipex.com/Pages/gadget_2channel.htm

The odd thing is though I sitll know more people with two channel stereo stuff than multi channel stuff even though they are making out its the end of stereo.

I am planning to write stuff of a similar nature for my site once I have got the basic engine working. I am not sure if I should have a forum yet, I will probably just code some basic message board in ASP. I certainly don't plan to anything of the scale of Zerogain.

I am guessing it will be Christmas by the time I get my site working fully as with the load of uni work they are giving to us in the second year and my zerogain addiction I don't have the time.

The reason I am coding it in ASP and not PHP is because we get free Windows 2003 server webspace although after Christmas the uni is going to try and upgrade the account so we can use PHP on them too as Windows 2003 Information server apparantly supports both ASP and PHP.

amazingtrade, Nov 20, 2003
Ask a Question