My weekend

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Jul 13, 2004.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Right, i have deleted the old thread due to childishness of a poster.
    Sorry to all who gave constructive replies, i hope you dont mind doing so again.

Original post -

As im sure you all know, i took delivery of some new speakers last friday.
    Meadowlark Kestral Hot Rods.
    Also im sure you know they had bust binding posts when they turned up
    I have managed to rig them up whil i wait for new posts.

Over the last few weeks i started to realise that most of my cash over the last 11 months seems to have gone towards making the Dynaudio's sound good. I finnaly realised i was chasing my own tail, the clincher was not being able to listen at lower volume, those Dyns need to be whacked up to sound good.

After a few hours of sorting the problems caused by brain dead courier man i got them hooked up. It took some playing to get the worst of the bass boom to calm down. It has nearly gone now, some final positioning, and maybe some room treatment and i feel it will be sorted.

So, am i happy?
    Hell yea!
    These speakers play music, they have what i have been missing in my music, lower detail. I was worried that i might feel they overpowered with the low end, but they give the same top end detail, with some body aswell. The highs are sweeter than the Dyns, and less fatiguing.
    The mids are good, although when it gets busy they can sound congested. As the Kestrals are brand new, i am hoping this will open up over time/use.

Kit used -
    Rega Jupiter CDp
    Omiga IC's
    Mains treatment:)
    John shearne pre.

I am going to let them settle in for a bit. My plan then is to run them jut from the Shearne amp (wich is playin pre amp duty at the mo), I will then sell the rotel and look for a better power amp of lower output. Also i plan to get a transcendant Gounded Grid pre.

I nearly didnt make a post about this, as they are still running in, but even as is - i am very happy.

So things are now starting to take shape properly:)

penance, Jul 13, 2004
  2. penance

The Devil IHTFP

;-)

The Devil, Jul 13, 2004
  3. penance

analoguekid Planet Rush

James you picked on Andy at a delicate moment, he bought the speakers blind and hasn't set them up to his liking yet and prolly feels that unsure way at the moment, are they as good as I thought etc, then along comes you and starts taking the mick, maybe the dyns are better but not much use if you can't listen late at night, as those who live with partners will attest that soetimes this is the only time we can get to listen to the more "unusual recordings" that haunt our collection.

Besides Penance is a nice guy, with ne'er a bad word to say about anyone, why not pick on someone like grumpy old merlin or the basshead WM, they I feel have much thicker skin.

analoguekid, Jul 13, 2004
  4. penance

analoguekid Planet Rush

Feel that leaving it up Andy said more about James than it did about you :)

5. penance

The Devil IHTFP

C'mon now, a little 'tweak of the nose' and it's WW3.

I think the "hi-fi" speakers of the world are largely crap, [but so what?] They are all tits 'n' arse - boosted treble and bass response, with a recessed midrange. Most get terribly muddled-up if asked to do more than about three things all at the same time.

I do like the Castle Chesters, which buck the general dull trend.

The Devil, Jul 13, 2004
  6. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Jesus james, cant you take a ****in hint

Im off to eat, i will remove this thread after, and wont bother trying to input anything again.
    Obviously you are intent on destroying any thread that isnt about your wank gear.

penance, Jul 13, 2004
  7. penance

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Everyone.

I suggest (as Ive done before) that the problem lies in semantics.

Everytime people get upset it seems to be ...

PARTY A says..
    '' x is crap'' - but means ''I dont like x''

PARTY B doesnt realize that the other personals listening preferences dont matter/effect their own listening pleasures.

Every hifi component has compromises in it of one sort or another, and if it didnt there would be no place for ZG!

It all comes back to stating preferences as a preference and not an absolute fact, and tolerating it when people forget/dont

:) chill everyone :)

bottleneck, Jul 13, 2004
  8. penance

lordsummit moderate mod

James leave it out, I don't know how you can comment not having heard them. I heard them and fell in love with them. I like them Penance likes them. You like your ATC's, I'm sure I would if I heard them. There's no need to belittle other people because they don't agree with you. You helped me out along the way when I was looking at amps, and gave advice I was very grateful for. Telling Andy what he had before was better despite the evidence of his ears isn't helpful or particularly nice.
    Come on chaps save the baiting for the REL thread. I'm off to set up my Meadowlarks now. Lets see what 35 watts of Naim can do for them

lordsummit, Jul 13, 2004
  9. penance

Robbo

Penance,

Dont delete the thread, it's an interesting subject. In any case, if you leave it up everyone can see what a fool James is making of himself.

Robbo, Jul 13, 2004
  10. penance

analoguekid Planet Rush

Naim is shite, 35 watts of pish you'd be better off with a mini system, and why did you buy crap american speakers, should have gone for studio monitors.

ps only kidding.

11. penance

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

So rich, how are they working out now you've got them home? Any idea how much use your pair have had, as they take a long time to run in?

I-S, Jul 13, 2004
  12. penance

lordsummit moderate mod

They look like they're more used than your's, and are sounding amazing out of the box. Best of all they've slotted into their space w/o too much trouble. James Brown is sounding pretty darn good. The Naims give them a nice blast of top and mid. Strangely the room node seems to have vanished for now. Deffo an improvement so far.
    JJ wouldn't say how new they were, I'm guessing they need quite a bit, but even so I'm getting imaging I've never had before, and what a fantastic tight bottom. Better still all the harshness has gone. I'm chuffed, despite the fact they're crap American 'Hi-fi'

lordsummit, Jul 13, 2004
  13. penance

And that I "haven't a clue"... No one told my employers... :D

I-S, Jul 13, 2004
  14. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

True, but i would like to of had a thread without that fool dribling his uneducated bollox.

Rich
    Glad your enjoying them, i was worried that they wouldnt suit your room. Sounds like yours are more run in than mine, im still having wooly bottom end, ooer. Isaac says that will go with use, im certainly enjoying them.
    Maybe the mids could be a bit more forward, but that may well get sorted aswell. Also, dont forget, i have a knackered binding post so the tweets are serviced with a bit of wire wrapped around the broken bit. Hardly fair to assess them with that in place;)

penance, Jul 13, 2004
  15. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Chris, i agree with your sentiment. Unfortunatly children dont understand diplomacy.

penance, Jul 13, 2004
  16. penance

Andy - give them a damn good thrashing. While mine were running in they improved so much over one weekend when I was testing 200W monoblocks.... :D

By the description, rich's are pretty well run in. Interesting that they don't interact so much with the room... just goes to show that you never can tell.

I-S, Jul 13, 2004
  17. penance

Are we still allowed to smack him?

I-S, Jul 13, 2004
  18. penance

analoguekid Planet Rush

Only problem there Issac is that children that age tend to smack back :)

19. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Yes!

Isaac, i wouldnt say that the bass is bad at all, not as defined as i had maybe. But im not judging yet. I know you lot will think 'oh no, here he goes again' :D But honestly, i am waiting for them to run in, and i havent had chance to try re-positioning again.

penance, Jul 13, 2004
  20. penance

Hmmm... I'll not risk it then, not being the world's burliest bloke...

I-S, Jul 13, 2004
Ask a Question