NACA5 as Power Cable?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mosfet, Jan 30, 2005.

1. mosfet

mosfet

Would a cable with a relatively high series inductance, such as Naim NACA5, make a useful hi-fi power cable compared to a standard power cable?

If any two-core cable can be considered as a simple second-order low pass filter owing to its series inductance and parallel capacitance then a cable with a high series inductance may offer some useful attenuation at MHz. Thereby reducing unwanted high frequency harmonics and interference present on the mains supply.

Better still would be to use two 6mm^2 loose conductors with a nominal spacing of 100mm over a typical length of 1m since series inductance increases with conductor spacing and/or conductor diameter.

I appreciate that without putting numbers into the equation the theory remains academic.

But in theory could a cable with high series inductance relative to a standard power cable (such as Naim NACA5) be usefully employed as a low-pass hi-fi power cable?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated. :)

mosfet, Jan 30, 2005
  2. mosfet

zanash

Your problem is the insulation its not designed to cope with mains current/voltage...you will be taking a huge risk using it for that purpose. Remember you can use a cable below its limiting specs. but not above it.

zanash, Jan 30, 2005
  3. mosfet

julian2002 Muper Soderator

rumor has it that naca5 is in actual fact the stuff fun fairs use for outdoor lighting. wouldn;t want to put it to the test though.
    cheers

julian.,

julian2002, Jan 30, 2005
  4. mosfet

notaclue

I read about the fun fair lighting thing somewhere as well.

Personally, I would say that messing about with unsuitable cables and mains electricty is hi-fi gone mad. In many respects, the audiophile who would risk their life for (at most, I would guess) a small difference in sound is, at one and the same time, both the greatest of all audiophiles and the most foolish.

notaclue, Jan 30, 2005
  5. mosfet

mosfet

Clearly safety is an issue at mains voltage and the dielectric strength of NACA5 insulation is not specified for 230VAC use. A second mains insulating sheath would overcome this.

NACA5 is being suggested only as example of a cable with high series inductance.

Any high inductance cable geometry (relative to standard power cable) would be equally applicable – accepting safety considerations.

I do know for instance that low-pass mains cables are used for industrial filtering applications but here additional inductance is added by means of ferrite material as opposed to cable geometry.

At this stage I'm only concerned about the validity or otherwise of the theoretical use of high inductance hi-fi power cables rather than application.
    :guiness:

mosfet, Jan 30, 2005
  6. mosfet

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

High inductance power cable?

Can anyone say Eupen?

I-S, Jan 30, 2005
  7. mosfet

ErikfH

Yes, but I'm Dutch. Just watch my mouth: :eek:

ErikfH, Jan 30, 2005
  8. mosfet