NAD C540 Tray problems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Dec 24, 2003.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Wonder if anyone can help here. My father has a NAD C540 CD player and on most occasions, when you press the 'Open' button the tray opens part way, then immediately closes again. However, sometimes the tray will open without any problems or if you play the CD that has been left in the player. Any ideas much appreciated - I'm off home today to visit them, so hopefully can take a look at it whilst I'm there. The player is long out of warranty.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

nsherin, Dec 24, 2003
  2. nsherin

Tom.

I'd open it up and give it a good clean, preferably with a can of compressed air.

Tom., Dec 24, 2003
  3. nsherin

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

had the same problem withe a 520,turned out it wasnt perfectly level

themadhippy, Dec 24, 2003
  4. nsherin

Anna K

British design + Chinese labor = Good value but relatively unreliable when compared to Arcam, Rotel etc.

Anna K, Dec 24, 2003
  5. nsherin

Sgt Rock

I think you'll find that some Arcam products are made in the far east !

Just found this.

The company that I used to work for before I was outsourced moved nearly all their production to China, it's way cheaper and the quality is still good if not better.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2003
    Sgt Rock, Dec 26, 2003
  6. nsherin

Hodgesaargh

When the tray gets half way out try grabbing holdof it and pulling it out the rest of the way. Hopefully it doesnt chop your fingers off.:D

Hodgesaargh, Dec 26, 2003
  7. nsherin

Sgt Rock

Look at the link in my post, yes they do, just in case you didn't spot the link :-

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/66/

Do a google on "china arcam" you'll find loads of URL's :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2003
    Sgt Rock, Dec 28, 2003
  8. nsherin

michaelab desafinado

The Arcam AVR100 & 200 receivers were both OEM Chinese models that weren't even designed by Arcam. They are almost identical to two NAD receivers of the same period which, surprise, surprise, used the same Chinese OEM box. Arcam and NAD both specified various component and detail changes but in essence they are both just rebadged Chinese kit.

Nothing wrong with that IMO. It's not "exporting jobs" Gary because Arcam wouldn't have made the AVR100 at all if they'd had to design and build it in Cambridge - it would have cost far too much and not been a viable product.

AFAIK Arcam have only done this with their budget AV receivers. All of their other kit is designed and built in Cambridge.

Michael.

PS: I used to try and boycott Chinese made products, however, that was because of child labour and human rights abuses and not because of globalisation. These days its almost impossible to boycott Chinese made products :rolleyes:

michaelab, Dec 28, 2003
  9. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Thanks for the advice - will check the player is level - it should be, as it is on a good, sturdy rosewood unit. Will also see if a blast of compressed air will work. Only worrying thing is it could spread oil/lubricant around off the glide rail.

nsherin, Dec 28, 2003
  10. nsherin

osama Perenially Bored

It's a sad fact of the business, almost everywhere you buy, chances are you'd pick up a Made in China product - from plastic toys to hi-fi kits. The "sad" part of this fact actually is not because they're simply made in China, but the low turn out of quality of a lot of the items they produce, plus the fact that they are cheaper. People nowadays are so cost conscious that they'd willingly sacrifice quality to affordability.

In particular, assembling hi-fi kits somewhere else (like Rotel & NAD in China, Pioneer in Malaysia & Indonesia, etc) to bring the cost down, but carry the original specs of the manufacturer is in a way beneficial to consumers. Respected branded products are made affordable to a wider market. Quality is controlled by the manufacturer anyway so one can still guarantee a high percentage of buying a good quality product.

A 100% made in china hi-fi though IMO is a different story. China is still quite young in electronics manufacturing so it's still kind of hard to buy with confidence in what they produce. Personally, I'd still go for UK or European kits - quite expensive but almost always worth what you spend for.

But I guess we have to realize that Japan in the early days used to produce low quality products also. Before, when you say Made in Japan, it's a label of inferiority, but nowadays it's a stamp of quality, affordability and innovation.

regards

osama, Dec 28, 2003
  11. nsherin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I feel I have put together quite an expensive hifi, non of which is made in China.

However, most of the components probably are. I dont have any problem with this. I wouldnt mind if the components themselves were assembled in China either.

Quality control isnt something western countries have a monopoly over (far from it), infact it seems to me insane to think that this would apply?

Perception of quality being country-based seems grounded in racism to me. Surely quality control is all about caring about what you manufacture, and ensuring it is well made. Why should this be country specific?

Are Nissans from Sunderland higher quality than those produced in the far east? Did you know B&O televisions are made in the Philips factory in Durham? Does this make them better or worse? Kuzma turntables are made in the former Check republic.. does this make them more poorly made than a turntable made in London?

One example that springs to my mind is the manufacture of Fender guitars. Im not sure if this is still the case (havent bought one in a few years)... but they manufacture guitars in mexico, the far east, and america. The quality control was similar between all factories it seemed to me, but Fender chose to manufacture the top-drawer models in the US, and the cheapest ones in the far east, and the middle of the road models in Mexico! Is it just me, or are they pandering to racist views of quality control being country based, and using this as a marketing tool to add perceived value?

oops, 'went off on one' there...
    :)
    chris

bottleneck, Dec 28, 2003
  12. nsherin

joel Shaman of Signals

In what way is Chinese manufacturing quality "not better"?

joel, Dec 29, 2003
  13. nsherin

joel Shaman of Signals

Yes, but when you start from scratch you can avoid some of the problems that require those solutions in the first place.
    Wages and the cost of making things will rise in China. I doubt it is the cheapest place to produce goods even today. There is competition for good real estate, and good staff in Shenzen can and do pick and choose who they work for, and there will be more pressure for a better, or at least less unsafe, working environments. Costs will rise.
    But I think China's real advantage is the desire of individuals to improve themselves and their lot. There is a hunger for learning, self improvement allied to a capacity for hard work unrivalled anywhere else IME. A potent mix.
    Coming back to Gary's post, China's place as the world's factory and probably much else in the future seems secure. The question is, what will the rest of us be doing...

joel, Dec 29, 2003
  14. nsherin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Wow, weve kind of left hifi !

Coming from a coal mining & ship building town (sunderland) Im well aware of what happens to industry when it can be done for the same quality but cheaper price abroad.

Unemployment for some, re-training and fresh industries for others. In todays environment you need to make sure you as an employee are multi-skilled and adaptable to new working environments.

Im with michael on this one, globalisation just means companies have to be globally competitive. More dangers, more opportunities too.

Issues such as child labour, dangerous working practices etc are what we should be concentrating on IMO.

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 29, 2003
Ask a Question