nad silverline/mission

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by boobell, Nov 6, 2003.

1. boobell

boobell

hiya all

first post but occasional peruser which i must say can be most entertaining. anyway here is my tale...........

nad silverline cdp
    nad silverline pre
    nad silv........ power
    mission 783 rosewood
    qed silverspiral.2 pairs i/c
    chord odessey 2 (i think) spk cable
    sony sb-st920 tuner
    stands unique rosewood stand-5 10mm shelves
    job lot (all or nothing)

that little lot has been offered to me by afriend whos moving abroad (darkest peru of all places) for a very generous imo 1300GBP.

problem is demo is not poss.i reckon i will love the silverline sound but have reservations about the missions {having previosly owned 782s.

therefore opinions on system match/mismatch,possible speaker upgrade or i/c/spk cable tweaks would be great and bourne in mind come demo time cause chances are iwill by.

cheers boobell

boobell, Nov 6, 2003
  2. boobell

julian2002 Muper Soderator

it seems like a reasonable price so see if you can try it out for a couple of days and then if you like it, go for it. not sure about the speakers, never heard them but they should be pretty easy to move on. all in all it's probably worth a punt if you like it but not if you don't.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 6, 2003
  3. boobell

voodoo OdD

Welcome BooBell :).

If you've got the dosh and are interested then I reckon it's a pretty good price. You'll be acquiring a decent setup which can be easily tailored to your preferences in the future.

I've never been a big fan of Missions but for the money you're friend is talking about - they're a bargain. If you don't like them you can always flog them and go down a differernt route (a pair of good quality s/h standmounts, maybe ?). They'll need a lot of room though as they have side mounted bass ports.

The NAD Silverline series was (as far as I can remember) well regarded if a little over-priced.

just my tupence :D .

voodoo, Nov 6, 2003
  4. boobell

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I'm in a pretty good position to comment on this as I have:

S500 CDP
    S300 Integrated
    Mission 775 speakers

Not exactly what you are looking at I know, but close enough to make useful comments. I like this set-up, but somethimes long for something more refined.

The pro's (subjective of course)
    It has a 'larger than life' sound to it, especially at higher volumes. Looks pretty too. Also if you like bass, then the NAD/mission combo has it by the bucket load - Mission's bass can be a little uncontrolled for my taste, but the NAD reigns them in and holds them pretty tight. The CDP delivers wonderfully sweet treble too, and the midrange is respectable. Very pretty, with enough blue LEDs to keep even MO happy.

The cons (also subjective)
    Don't expect subtlety. It kicks like a mule. The input sensitivity of the amp and output voltage of the CDP are poorly matched so coupled with v.sensitive missions you'll find most of the volume control is unusable - an attenuated IC is a definite one for the considered upgrade list. The CDPs can be finnickity with some CDs and require you to re-insert them. My first one had to go back cause it didn't like Massive Attack or Leftfield. Hate's low volumes, probably mostly due to the fact that the amp is acting at the extreme of the volume range due to the pesky high output voltage of the CDP.

Anyway, for 1300 quid it's a pretty good deal to my mind.

stumblin, Nov 6, 2003
  5. boobell

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Stumblin you wouldnt expect an all NAD system to have poorly matched input sensitivity/output voltage, thats well strange...

PBirkett, Nov 6, 2003
  6. boobell

voodoo OdD

Paul, I'm sure somebody mention this on the HFC/GH forum once when they were considering/auditioning some NAD silverline gear. It does seem strange but sometimes one hand doesn't know what the other is doing :rolleyes: and in many cases that is very applicable for the electronics industry.

PS> I think I'm going to calculate how many 'man hours' I've lost becuase of your avatar :D . Given that I'm now self-employed, I reckon i can justify it ;) .

voodoo, Nov 6, 2003
  7. boobell

stumblin Kittens getting even...

stumblin, Nov 6, 2003
  8. boobell

technobear Ursine Audiophile

All that lot for £1300. Bite his arm off!!! If you don't like it you can sell it on for much more than that.

technobear, Nov 6, 2003
  9. boobell

HenryT

My thoughts exactly... and just one more word to add to the above... "Ebay"... ;)

HenryT, Nov 6, 2003
  10. boobell

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The missions were RRP close to £1000 on their own! Obviously they're quite a bit cheaper now with the se range out. Seen them advertised for £500 new now! If you've got the room for them then they should be worth a go! As said already, the LF side firing driver may need to be played about with (positioning) get them sounding best.

I'm pretty sure Celestion were using NAD silverline kit to show off some new speakers at a show a while back. The music was quite delicate and the set up managed it very well. Strings in particular. I'm sure the missions will get MOre from the NAD than the Celestions did, they were quite bass light IIRC.

What was it you didn't like about the 782?

I'd go for it, the speakers and stand, were probably worth that(on RRP) alone!

Would be nice to get an audition though!

MO!, Nov 6, 2003
Ask a Question