Nad...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Nov 25, 2003.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

As some of you may know, I'm after a stereo amp as my yammy can't quite cut it musically…
    My obvious options seems to be that I would have both amps together and either have the nad (c320 cbee, c350, or some other amp ) driving the main speakers, or use a speaker switch to alternate between the amps (depending on if I want to listen to music, or watch a dvd)…I checked the Nad website, found some info, but I decided to e-mail them for some advice, I basically asked what my options would be, this was there response -

Dear xxx,

I have no Knowledge of the connection capability of the Yamaha RX-V620RDS, so cannot comment on how or whether, it is possible to use an alternative amplifier for the front channels, an integrated amplifier such as the C320BEE or C350 would not normally be used for this, but more normally a power amplifier would be used, while the NAD integrated amplifiers do have the option of using them as either a power amplifier, or just pre-amplifier by removing the "U" links it would be rather a waste of the amplifiers abilities, and there is no way to connect in the manner that you describe for two amplifiers to drive the speakers by connecting the amplifiers together this would damage or destroy probably both amplifiers, and also the subwoofer needs to be feed from the LFE output for correct surround sound effects. It is possible to get high grade speaker switch boxes (at a cost of about £50 up for a two way) or high quality switch box for switching between amplifiers to the speakers concerned, but as the spacing and positioning for speakers is generally different for best stereo and best surround is different it is seldom a good solution.

Sorry but the best and simplest solution would be to audition the many makes and models of surround sound equipment for one that sounds good in both stereo use as well as giving surround sound capability.

Regards NAD Service Department.

Now I'm confused, not sure what to do, any ideas..??:rolleyes:

mr cat, Nov 25, 2003
  2. mr cat

julian2002 Muper Soderator

there are a couople of ways of going about this IF your yamaha can output a low level signal (not the speaker outputs). if not then you're SOL.

1) find an amp with a unity gain or processor bypass. this is becomming more and more popular with even flat earth manufacturers like naim and linn having the facility. connect the low level outs for left and right front to the correct inputs on your stereo amp and you're away.

2) use an unused input on the amp and adjust the volume accordingly. this has the disadvantage of extra faff and the possibility of blowing out your speakers as you usually have to turn the stereo volume up quite a lot for movie replay however most a/v processors have the facility to adjust the relative levels of each channel i've adjusted this so that the volume control on my stereo pre is at 1/4 volume (9 o'clock) rather than the more usual 1/2 or 12 o'clock position. this way if i do play a cd after watching a movie my speaker cones don;t try to headbutt the opposite wall.

in either of these configurations your dvd player would be connected to the a/v amp via the digital link and your cd player would be connected to the stereo.
    hope this is clear.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 25, 2003
Ask a Question