Naim 42/72?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DavidF, Apr 2, 2006.

1. DavidF

DavidF

Hello,

I'm wondering of someone can advise me.

My current system is Mission DAD5 cdp, Cyrus 1 amp , Mordaunt Short ms 20 speakers.

The whole lots a bit long in the tooth now - whats my best progression from here? I'm looking for more detail and less clinical top end. I borrowed a friends Sugden A28 amp which helped a bit but I want to go further. I shall be buying second hand.

Naims seem very popular; I was considering a 42/72 combo to see how it sounded - would this be an improvement? I did consider the 92/90 but have read that they are awkward to match with speakers. Most Naims have modest power ouputs; will they drive modern speaker loads?

I had in mind a budget (for the amp) of 300-350pounds.........or should I allocate more?

Many thanks!

David

DavidF, Apr 2, 2006
  2. DavidF

Bob McC living the life of Riley

You won't get much music from a 42/72 combo - they are both preamps!
    The 92/90 is their worst product.
    Naim will drive anything!

Bob McC, Apr 2, 2006
  3. DavidF

RobHolt Moderator

Hi David,

There isn't a 42/72 combo as both are pre amps but the 42/110 and 72/140 are classic Naim combinations that work well.

If the Mission has a digital out (IIRC it does) you could try a NOS DAC which will set you back about £100 and is certainly not clinical - quite the opposite.

A Naim 42/110 will set you back around £350 and a 72/140 around £500-600 minimum. You should also remember that the 110 will be at around 20 years old by now and should be serviced.

Another good amp that will give the small Naims a good challenge is the Onix OA21 which pops up on ebay quite often for around £250. The Exposure XV and XX integrated amps are also superb amps in the same mould.

Why not just try the NOS option first with the Cyrus and MS ?
    It may do the trick.

< Bob beat me to it :) >

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2006
    RobHolt, Apr 2, 2006
  4. DavidF

DavidF

Hello again,

re 42/72

I just realised the deliberate mistake!

I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Anyway, many thanks for your thoughts.

David

DavidF, Apr 3, 2006
  5. DavidF

DavidF

Hello again,

I like the idea of the DAC - I must admit I had forgotton about this approach. It certainly makes a lot of sense. MY DAD5 is of 1996 vintage and I think DAC technology may ahve moved a on a bit since then............if this gets more imformation from the cd then all to the good. The write ups in audio review are certainly encouraging.

The "NOS" I think is sold in kit form. Would probably take the easy option and buy one S/H.

My cdp does indeed have a digital output - can any one advice me how they are wired in? Are the interconnects wired from cdp to DAC then more interconnects tothe amp?

thanks again,

David

DavidF, Apr 3, 2006
  6. DavidF

RobHolt Moderator

Hi David,

Yes you are correct. Phono cable from the DAD5 digital out the the DAC input, then stereo phono lead to the amp.
    The DAC I had in mind is available ready made for £100. It's a small opaque white box with a blue led inside - someone here will remember the name I'm sure before I remember it.

RobHolt, Apr 3, 2006
  7. DavidF

DavidF

Rob,

So (if I've got this correctly) the one digital output from the cdp serves both channels?

A reasoanbly priced DAC would definitely be of interest. Most of the ones available seem either really expensive or American (looking on the net last night). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Wouuld it be worth me paying more?...........I think it'll be worth looking further into this!

thanks again

David

DavidF, Apr 3, 2006
Ask a Question