Naim CD5

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by julian2002, Jun 16, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

For Sale:
    Immaculate Naim CD5. S/N 169933 (2000 / 4 years old) bought by myself new from Sevenoaks in Bedford.
    Comes complete with CD5, both transit bolts, system remote control, naim snaic 5 din to din interconnect, link plug, manual, origional box and packaging and 2 cd pucks.

[​IMG]

This CD5 has NOT had the PIC upgrade to play copy protected cd's but i've never had one not play, the worst being kosheens kokopelli which skips a little about 10 seconds into a track. it's never bothered me but the upgrade can be performed at any naim dealer.

Amazing sound with dynamics and drive you need to spend a whole lot more on to match never mind beat. It also makes a creditable job of image and soundstaging but it's real forte is musical communication.

Made even better by the addition of one of naims *caps although russ andrews does a smpsu which isn't bad either. i've tried all of them and rate the hi-cap as the best improvement though (in fact that's how i was using it).

Reason for sale? well i've gone to a hard drive based system so i've not used my cd5 for about a month now.

Demonstration at my place more than welcome. would prefer to do a deal face to face but can deliver within reasonable distance of bedford for diesel money or can post if you pay the cost and funds are cleared first.

price? a more than reasonable £600.00 ono.

some more pictures...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 16, 2004
  2. julian2002

bump......

julian2002, Jun 23, 2004
  3. julian2002

tom_nieto

I'm certainly interested in this fine piece of kit! Copy protected CDs could prove a problem though. Does it play CD-R? Which copy protected CDs do you own? I have a few, and I'd be sad if I couldn't play them.

Does it have a digital output, and can I convert the DIN plugs to phono? Unfortunately, I'm not rich or influential enough to own a Naim amp also :(

tom_nieto, Jun 24, 2004
  4. julian2002

maddog 2

Naim players don't have digital outs

You'll just need an interconnect with DIN to phono. Chord do them amongst others. Plenty on Ebay.

maddog 2, Jun 24, 2004
  5. julian2002

tom_nieto

cheers maddog. I wouldn't really be needing a digital output for CD replay (not yet anyway), but it's always nice for the likes of MD etc.

tom_nieto, Jun 24, 2004
  6. julian2002

tom,
    it will play cd-r's no problem - or at least all of the ones i've tried. i don;t think it'll play cd-rw's but i've never tried.
    din to phono cables are available from chord, russ andrews and some bloke called tony (but his are well expensive but very very good) or you could get a din to phono adapter from your local naim dealer for about 5 quid.
    protected cd's do play they just have a fraction of a second of skip about 10 seconds into a song - and that's only on a few releases - others seem ok even though they have warnings plastered all over them. if this really bothers you then there is a pic upgrade that can be done for about 30 quid (iirc) at a naim dealers to fix the 'problem' totally. i couldn't be bothered to get it done it affects that few cd's.
    BTW. the age of the player it's actually nearer 3.5 years old (the reciept shows the purchase date at 31/12/2000)
    if you have any more questions or want to pop round for a listen drop me a pm or you can e-mail me at julian DOT alden-salter AT ntlworld DOT com do the usual with the DOT's etc.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 24, 2004
  7. julian2002

bump and price reduced to 600 ukp

julian2002, Jun 28, 2004
  8. julian2002

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

That's a good price guys - and it's only £40 to have it modded to play non-CDs (copy protected ones).

Mine is sounding rather good with Julian's old Flatcap - can vouch for him being a good seller :)

domfjbrown, Jun 30, 2004
  9. julian2002

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Just out of interest Julian, what computer based rig you using that sounds good enough to replace that as your weapon of choice?

PBirkett, Jun 30, 2004
  10. julian2002

NOW SOLD!

paul, take a look on page one in the 'my kit' thread....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 4, 2004
Ask a Question