Naim Prototype DAC at Bristol

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by FrankDeckard, Feb 25, 2009.

1. FrankDeckard

The Devil IHTFP

Paul was such a lovely guy. Hope you like it.

The Devil, Mar 16, 2009
  2. FrankDeckard

Dave Simpson Plywood King

I never knew him other than the forums. Sounds like he was a good friend. It's a shame he couldn't find the help he needed.

Sampling the whole album as we speak--cd on order;-)

Thanks again bub.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
    Dave Simpson, Mar 16, 2009
  3. FrankDeckard

zanash

you can believe or disbelieve what ever you like .....what the three people and my self heard ...was as described. Backed up with the sound heard at the various shows....

you can fairly easly tailor a sound by using various curcuit ..that you ccould call time alignment or something similar ! also the extensive use of tantalum beads in the signal path has always deeply worried me ...when I've heard the effect of just one in the signal path. I've no wish to recreate this fish eyeing of the sound so I don't propose to spend any time working out why ...but if you wanted to create a different house sound then something like this would be ideal to distigish your gear from others on the market.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying that either presentation is right or wrong, but its not just me thats heard and commented about this in the past.

If that the presentation your prefere then great ...no problems ....but don't tell me what I can and can't hear/heard when you weren't present. After all these were and are only my wn personal opinions. I just thought it might help explain the question that was asked.

zanash, Mar 16, 2009
  4. FrankDeckard

The Devil IHTFP

All opinions are apparently valid, as they say. The fisheye thing is a completely new one on me, it doesn't tally with my experience, and I don't buy your theory - but there you go!

The Devil, Mar 16, 2009
  5. FrankDeckard

DavidF

I can comfrim it though.

I had a 72/140 combo which displayed those traits.

Pete was able to advise in equipment.....far better

DavidF, Mar 16, 2009
  6. FrankDeckard

The Devil IHTFP

You are just the confirmation I needed! In over 20 years of listening to various Naim (and non-Naim) hi-fis, I have never heard this alleged effect.

The Devil, Mar 16, 2009
  7. FrankDeckard

DavidF

Theres a first time for everything!

;)

Def true in my experience

In fairness, "Devil",it is a fairly well documented trait of Naim stuff.

It does seem to have its own sonic presentation style. Thats not say it wrong....just different. I am happy I moved away from it though.

DavidF, Mar 16, 2009
  8. FrankDeckard

zanash

so why do you not accept mine ???

I did say it was an analogy other people call it the "naim wall of sound" ....now you must have heard of that?

For me you can call it what you like ...I'm just not that interested in something that doesn't float my boat.

zanash, Mar 16, 2009
  9. FrankDeckard

The Devil IHTFP

Of course I've heard of that. I've read it on the internet, so naturally it must be a true phenomenon. Like water divining, for instance.

The Devil, Mar 16, 2009
  10. FrankDeckard

DavidF

I'm just trying to work ouit what the value of your sarcastic posting actually was.

Maybe I misunderstood it.

I hope so.

(FWIW your comment is barely worth response....but I (and Zanash) have personal experince of both dowsing AND Naim equipment. Therefore your comment certain served to annoy me but was never the less pretty groundless.)

DavidF, Mar 16, 2009
  11. FrankDeckard

The Devil IHTFP

I'm keeping a straight face, here.

The Devil, Mar 16, 2009
  12. FrankDeckard

Dave Simpson Plywood King

No offence Zanash but I've never heard this "fish-eye" effect where the central image extends to the speakers with the remainder hanging off the edges...with any brand of gear. I suspect its in the recordings or the installation. If it were the Naim gear, it would exhibit the trait with every recording--all the time. Clearly not the case or you'd hear it discussed everywhere (and frequently) by fans and detractors alike.

regards,

dave

Naim owning and fish-eyeless since '77.

Dave Simpson, Mar 17, 2009
  13. FrankDeckard

RobHolt Moderator

Most of this stuff only exists on the internet in chat rooms. Before the internet the audio press fulfilled the function of promoting this 'house sound' nonsense. My own experience is that under blind conditions people can't tell if they're listening to a Naim, Cyrus, Quad, Arcam etc so long as the amplifier is working properly.
    Give them visual and suddenly all the old clichés get trotted out.

For an industry that should be (and once was) rooted in science you really do read the oddest stuff on the net at times.

RobHolt, Mar 17, 2009
  14. FrankDeckard

zanash

well its not just me talking about it take a look on pink fish

as for dowsing or divining or witching..... a recent course in land survey held at Nottingham Trent uni found that the 08 intake 80% could dowse the split being slightly more women than men [60/40] in an intake of 30 .... were able to do it with out problems so its nothing special ...

those that could not do it were described as "closed minded and rather too rigid thinkers or religious zealots " not my words ...but the words of the course coordinator [with whom I have no connection]

I'm affraid its your loss if you can or won't .....

but if your interested please feel free to google there are endless help sites or contact me for a list of good books on the subject.

zanash, Mar 17, 2009
  15. FrankDeckard

DavidF

ok..

DavidF, Mar 17, 2009
  16. FrankDeckard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I've found IME most of the 'Naim sound' comes from the speakers, which are very idiosynchratic. I have heard Intro's, SBL's and others.

I can enjoy them, but I do like to listen to a variety of hifi systems. They aren't for everyone.

Bub only uses a Naim pre (I believe), with power amps by ATC built into his speakers. It's not suprising that the sound of the system is non typical of a full Naim system.

I haven't heard Bub's system, but I have heard that it is good, and I'm sure that is probably the case.

For some strange reason I've never heard Isobariks. I don't know why that is the case, it's just a speaker I've never happened across. THis is strangely also the case with Kans. If anyone lives near MK and has a pair I'd be interested to hear what they are like to have a better understanding.

bottleneck, Mar 17, 2009
  17. FrankDeckard

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Here, try this...http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/ it could make you rich.

lAmBoY, Mar 17, 2009
  18. FrankDeckard

DavidF

Yeah I read that too, mate......

There are (IMO) many anomilies and inaccuracies in the text...to the extent I e-mailed the guy.

It was a shame because the note started out neutrally so for people who just want to find out more for their own satisfaction...it was not good at all.

BTW... dowsing is a creative thing...not there to make you rich., as i've said before ;).

DavidF, Mar 17, 2009
  19. FrankDeckard

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

the randi challenge (oo'er missus) has a $1million prize for proving paranormal myths.

If you could dowse for oil, or gold, or diamonds - Wow! just think of all the protoype naim dacs you could buy then (just keepin on topic is all)

lAmBoY, Mar 17, 2009
  20. FrankDeckard

lbr monkey boy

My car is powered by a magical guinea pig. His true form is only seen by those of pure heart; should unclean eyes set their gaze up on him he will appear unto them as an internal combustion engine.

Can I have my $1m please.

lbr, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question