naked stereo

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2006
    ditton, Feb 9, 2006
  2. ditton

dunkyboy

Sounds sensible to me for the most part. Many of the very best recordings I own are from the late 50s and early 60s, recorded simply and properly.

I'd dispute the bit about there being no benefit in more than two channels though - properly executed surround sound provides a hugely immersive experience and goes a long way towards suspension of disbelief and making audio sound more like the real thing IMO. The catch is it's quite hard (and expensive!) to build a high quality surround sound system, and then it's just as hard to find well-produced software...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 9, 2006
  3. ditton

Tenson Moderator

But if you spend the same amount on a 2 channel system, would it be even better for music? I know I don’t want to sit in the middle of a band. I want them in front!

Tenson, Feb 9, 2006
  4. ditton

dunkyboy

Agreed that pound for pound, you're probably better off spending the money on a 2-channel system.

But the surround sound thing works really well with live music, where you get all the ambience of the concert hall, the sound of the band reverberating around you as it would in the venue... But again, it's only the well produced ones that do that properly - far too many multichannel recordings do the "band coming at you from all directions" thing... sigh...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 10, 2006
  5. ditton

narabdela

And why not? You can't get stereo information any more 'real' than from a Blumlein crossed pair of microphones.

And not just stereo, the classic Blumlein arrangement uses two mics with bidirectional polar patterns crossed at 90 degrees, so it is actually possible to extract useful rear ambient information as well.

narabdela, Feb 10, 2006
  6. ditton

ditton happy old soul

I wasn't knocking it - in fact I was wondering whether ZeroGain ought to sign up!!

would there be general support for that: would the owners/organisers/mods/hoipoli be in favour of registering support and being cross-linked. seems appropriate to me.

ditton, Feb 10, 2006
  7. ditton

dunkyboy

We could have a user poll? I vote yea. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 10, 2006
Ask a Question