Neat MF9s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alex S, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Alex S

Alex S User

Finally I've borrowed some. They sound good in shows. Here they are far and away the best speakers I've ever heard. Effortless scale and dynamics - they go phenomenally loud if you want but also sound fantastic quiet - not easy to pull off. With room to breathe they integrate and image superbly.

The bass is taut, deep, extended and fast. I've heard rumblings that the bass doesn't always time - heard it myself a bit in a Heathrow hotel bedroom - not here! There is no overhnag at all, cabinet construction sees to that - and they go low, really low!

The overall balance in my large concrete box is slightly forward in the treble - just the sound I want and makes for great detail.

So far I've not heard any type of music they don't relish - Ozrics, big orchestral, chamber, solo piano, acoustic guitar, Ricky Lee Jones. Hell, they even made Joss Stone sound superb.

I can't really find fault of any kind. They are super fast but its a fast that the music demands not something forced. Its almost equally difficult to single out strengths but the bottom end is truly special.

Alex

Alex S, Mar 21, 2004
  2. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Good to hear that you have found some good speakers, they are very highly-regarded by some people I know. How much are they and what do they look like?

The Devil, Mar 21, 2004
  3. Alex S

Paul Duerden

I'm delighted Alex,

You mean you have finally found speakers that can oust the round things? I must admit that they were the star of that London show and with your CD player at the front end as well. I hope I can hear them before too long.

Paul Duerden, Mar 21, 2004
  4. Alex S

Alex S User

James, they look like big, no-nonsense speakers (I hope to get some pics together soon), rather like yours. Where ATC have gone for big F* off drive units the Neats have gone for smaller ones - but 9 a side. They're expensive!

Paul, I thought they were best in show at Heathrow, but, as in all encouraging show products, if you get it right, its astonishing how much better you can get things sounding yourself. The pods are skulking in the corner - as they should since they're one third the price.

As you know, I'm a deaf tweaker so I asked Marcus next door (who makes and plays drums rather well) to have a good listen. He's heard about 10 pairs of speakers in here and preferred the pods every time. Not this time! His jaw hit the floor.

I am examining ways to keep them which don't involve selling the kids into slavery or Anya into the oldest profession.

Alex S, Mar 22, 2004
  5. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Buy them. Kids are just a nuisance, really, and I'm sure Anya will enjoy Nursing.

The Devil, Mar 22, 2004
  6. Alex S

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Everything Alex says about the MF9's is true. I heard his system on Saturday. The MF9's bring his system into the (very) big league and they are the first pair of speakers (component for that matter) that make his large space a benefit rather than a problem, they fill the space and have enough dynamic power to make you feel drums, just like live music.

All in all a totally effortless sound which doesn't seem to have a limit, certainly not one we found.

Cheers

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2004
    ReJoyce, Mar 22, 2004
  7. Alex S

Alex S User

I'm gonna keep 'em - speakers this good stay! Anya's thrilled with her new nurse's uniform, especially the 9in stillettos.

Alex S, Mar 23, 2004
  8. Alex S

Robbo

sounds good Alex!

As you know, when I had the MF7s in my room I though they were fantastic everywhere apart from the low bass where I found it was slow. maybe they were just too big for my room....

I'd love to have a listen to them!

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Mar 24, 2004
  9. Alex S

Alex S User

Hi Robbo,

Despite their size the 9s may a bit more room friendly. I've not heard the 7s or the 5s but by reputation they can take a bit more work to get absolutely right. I've heard the MFS and the 9s, obviously, and both were/are very tight in the bass. Any semblance of bass boom, slowness or mudiness is my number one hate. It ruins music as far as I'm concerned.

You're very welcome to pop round any time.

Alex

Alex S, Mar 24, 2004
  10. Alex S

gshayer

Hi Guys

Has anybody heard the ULTIMATUM MFS loudspeakers?

G

gshayer, Mar 24, 2004
  11. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Alex,

I have to confess that I wasn't totally convinced by the pods, although it was a long time ago that I heard them, and you have changed one or two things since then. Fantastic design statement and all that, but an odd sound in some ways.

Tried ATCs? ;-)

The Devil, Mar 24, 2004
  12. Alex S

Yes, they are excellent, probably some of the best treble at any price. Lightning fast and bugger all box colouration. Go pretty deep in the bass for their size but benefit from a decent power amplifier. The matching stands work well with them and the quality of the fit and finish is very high - all in all a recommendation from this seat.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Mar 24, 2004
  13. Alex S

Alex S User

Bub,

The pods gave their all and were pretty good for tin cans on legs but this is a bit different.

Tried MF9s? ;-)

Alex S, Mar 24, 2004
  14. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Touche, with an acute accent. I'd have to borrow some power amps...

The Devil, Mar 24, 2004
  15. Alex S

Alex S User

I wouldn't bother - we're probably now very similar, but different.

Alex S, Mar 24, 2004
  16. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Yes. It is very nice to reach the end of the road. 'Maintenance mode' from now on.

The Devil, Mar 24, 2004
  17. Alex S

Rest assured your smugness is suitably cloying.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Mar 25, 2004
  18. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

I was trying to be smug on Alex's behalf. If that is possible.

The Devil, Mar 25, 2004
  19. Alex S

Alex S User

I thought I was quite good at being smug and cloying for myself.

Alex S, Mar 25, 2004
  20. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Varying grades of smugness:

i) Tentative
    ii) Established
    iii) Braying
    iv) Cloying

The Devil, Mar 25, 2004
Ask a Question