Need advice or at least condolences

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Nomoretweaks, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Nomoretweaks

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

Just imagine. We put a thick carpet to please our f...:JOEL:.. neighbours. This carper covers now a marvelous new oak floor, which we still hope to see again one day. So spikes through the carpet is a no-no. So far the speakers stand on large stone plinths laying on the carpet, wobbling like bad teeth, and I do not like the effect at all. Any bright ideas? :confused:

Nomoretweaks, Dec 28, 2007
  2. Nomoretweaks

Neil

Wooden cones.

Neil, Dec 28, 2007
  3. Nomoretweaks

DavidF

YOu won't, a wobbly plinth isn't going to help much.

I set three spikes into a paving slab for each speaker. I your case you would need to use metal discs to protect your floor.

DavidF, Dec 29, 2007
  4. Nomoretweaks

Arrowhead

Hi, spikes won't damage your new carpet at all. They'll go clean through the weave. When you remove them, you'll never know the carpet has been spiked.

Paving slabs, on the other hand, will damage your carpet, leaving it flattened. It may never regain its proper pile.

Graham.

Arrowhead, Dec 29, 2007
  5. Nomoretweaks

Guys, just read carefully please! I know spikes won't damage the carpet. It's not about the carpet. The problem is - they will damage the wooden floor UNDER the carpet. And I can not use metal disks because they need to be put on the floor under the carpet. I can not crawl under the carpet - it is wall to wall. And even if I lift the carpet? put the discs on the floor, put the carpet back and then manage to put the spikes through the carpet exacatly into the discs, I won't be able to move the speakers at all later on. Wooden spikes do not pearce through the carpet so no use at all. As well as RDC cones which are much better by the way. The only solution is as far as I can se - really large and heavy slab. I have got a pair 40x40 - still no good. And my speakers are on 3 cones into the slabs which just lay on the carpet which means - wobbling.
    Any BRIGHT ideas? :)

Nomoretweaks, Dec 29, 2007
  6. Nomoretweaks

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

cant you just blue tac them onto the plinth?

bottleneck, Dec 29, 2007
  7. Nomoretweaks

DavidF

true enough

No they won't, not if you drill holes for them and mount them in the holes.

"The problem is - they will damage the wooden floor UNDER the carpet."

yes

"And I can not use metal disks because they need to be put on the floor under the carpet. I can not crawl under the carpet - it is wall to wall. "

The only way I could see to avoid this was to carefully cut the carpet near the plinth. A brand new/cherished carpet?

Not sure!

Anyone?

"And even if I lift the carpet? put the discs on the floor, put the carpet back and then manage to put the spikes through the carpet exacatly into the discs, I won't be able to move the speakers at all later on."

a common enough problem i think!

"Wooden spikes do not pearce through the carpet so no use at all"

agreed

:)

"Any BRIGHT ideas? "

charming!

......no.

DavidF, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Nomoretweaks

hifinutt

what about putting nordost pulsar points which screw in and are pretty solid. I can`t quite follow why they wobble on a slab. my floor standers are on a granite sandwich with no spikes and although there is some movement it is ok.
    if you are very rich you could try the townshend speaker supports [£800!!]

hifinutt, Dec 29, 2007
  9. Nomoretweaks

Sorry if I did not explain it properly.
    It's not that the speakers wobble on the slabs. Slabs wobble because they lay on the carpet. And the carpet is quite thick. You may not believe it, but if you put a slab directly on the carpet, it is not stable, even a big and heavy one. It may look stable, but if you put a speaker on that slab and push it just slightly, it will wobble.

The only solution I can think about now is to put some spikes with wide bases on the floor under the carper, bases down and sharp ends up (oops). Then put back the carpet. The spikes will pierce through the carpet and ( preferably before I step on it) I put slabs on these spikes. Potentially dangerous, but stable and it will not damage the floor. And I will need some short thin spikes with wide base. How about that?

Nomoretweaks, Dec 30, 2007
  10. Nomoretweaks

I can glue them onto the plinth with a superglue - it will not help, because the speakers wobble together with the plinths. The problem is not how to put the speakers on the plinths , it is how to stop the plinths ( aka slabs) wobbling.

11. Nomoretweaks

barty

Hi mate Its a simple answer. Buy a Gun . Pop next door and shoot the Neighbours. Rap them up in your new carpet and dump them in a river. there you go. Nice wood floor back and speaker placement problem resolved

barty, Dec 30, 2007
  12. Nomoretweaks

hifinutt

well I am stumped! apart from getting wall mounted speakers I`ve run out of ideas. do you have another room you could convert to a listening room otherwise it is going to be getting rid of the carpet and trying some acoustic foam bases which a fellow forum member[another forum] is currently piloting.

hifinutt, Dec 30, 2007
  13. Nomoretweaks

Dev Moderator

I'd try this. Having the plinth resting on 3 points rather than a carpet and underlay should be more stable. Relatively cheap too.

Dev, Dec 30, 2007
  14. Nomoretweaks

I have tried, does not work either. I am actually thinking now of putting some thin granit plinths under the carpet.

15. Nomoretweaks

This is he best idea so far.

16. Nomoretweaks

hifinutt

they have nice wooden floor in brixton prison too!!!

hifinutt, Dec 31, 2007
  17. Nomoretweaks

Cliff A.

Interesting situation. I guess speaker stability is probably more important to you than some slight damage to your carpet pile. If this is the case try some seriously heavy stone slabs, which should be stable enough. Do you have heavy cabinets on your speakers or some lightweight design?
    I have used 6 inch marble blocks under my speakers (speakers weigh about 45kg each and are 1.2 metres high approx.) I never had super thick carpet though.
    Alternatively you could try spikes resting on furniture cups which may be more stable than a thin stone slab. 3 spikes makes sense.

Cliff A., Jan 2, 2008
  18. Nomoretweaks

cooky1257

Hi,
    I can't help thinking you're worrying unnecessarily about a few spikes into the timber-wood ages better with the knocks and if (later)your better half is concerned about the marks you can easily fill sand and re-varnish.IMHO:)
    Bummer to have sensitive neighbours tho'

cooky1257, Jan 2, 2008
  19. Nomoretweaks

anubisgrau

buy heavier speakers. 200lb per box won't wobble. tannoy FSM or so would do the job nice. actually they don't need plinths, cones or whatsoever tweakery.

anubisgrau, Jan 2, 2008
  20. Nomoretweaks

horace

I agree - you won't see the spike marks anyway, because they'll be covered up by the horrid carpet. If you do eventually lift the carpet (when you cease to have neighbours, following the carrying out of the gun suggestion, perhaps), you'll have a few very small holes to fill.

Get them speakers stuck into the floor and sod it.

Then again, it's not my floor....:)

Happy New Year

Martin

horace, Jan 2, 2008
Ask a Question