Need piece of advice for re-wiring loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alg, May 3, 2010.

1. alg

alg

Hello,

First off, I know there are several cable threads on those forums. I have read them, but felt they didn't answer my question.
    I have a marantz PM8000 amplifier, connected to two cabasse MT30 alderney tower loudspeakers. I've always considered it a very good soundsystem, in the sens that I was always very happy with it.
    I have moved house and my furniture has been re-organised. As a result, I now need ~25 metres of cable to connect the loudspeakers to the amplifier.
    My question is, which cable diameter should I use? The loudspeakers were previously connected using ~6 metres of 1 mm, standard, no-name cable. I never made comparisons between different cables, and was happy with the sound I got then. Now, the length I need has been multiplied by 4, and I surmise it calls for thicker cables, but I'm not sure which diametre to choose... I asked where I bought the amplifier, and was told that 4 mm is what is needed; the problem is price (15 euros/ m in this shop), I don't want to spend several hundreds on cables. I would therefore like your advice on some cheap, yet good cables.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,

alg

alg, May 3, 2010
  2. alg

Neil

Neil, May 3, 2010
  3. alg

alg

Thanks for your reply and references!
    OK, I meant I want to find a good compromise between quality and price - I've never compared different cables and I'm not even sure I'll be able to hear the difference, so I just don't want to spend a lot on that.
    By the way, what diameter would you recommend for a ~25m-long cable?
    Thanks and cheers

alg, May 3, 2010
  4. alg

RobHolt Moderator

Canare 4S11 would be perfect for this situation.
    This is a pro speaker cable intended for use over long runs in studios or for stage work.
    Each cable consists of four 2.5mm conductors - 2 white and 2 red - and for longer runs you can simply join these in parallel to reduce loop resistance.

Brilliant value at round £3.50pm, possibly less if you trawl the pro audio outlets.

I've used it and still have some. Very well made and electrically benign, which is also important with such long runs as capacitance in particular can get alarmingly high with some cable.

These have it:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/

RobHolt, May 3, 2010
  5. alg

alg

Thanks a lot for this other reference!
    It is indeed practical to be able to join two conductors together, and all in one cable.
    Maybe I can find it cheaper somewhere else, I'll search!.

alg, May 3, 2010
  6. alg

Neil

Rob's recommendation of the canare 4S11 seems very good to me, Van Damme blue (in its 4mm form) is pretty good and about the same price.

Neil, May 3, 2010
  7. alg

alg

Will check the van damme as well.
    Thanks!

alg, May 4, 2010
Ask a Question