need some suggestions...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, May 5, 2004.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

fairly happy now with the source, and amps

seeking a valve preamp, phonostage perhaps,

and some reasonably sensitive speakers(circa 87dbs+ more the better) for my 18 watt triodes?

less than 1k on each.

any ideas?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, May 5, 2004
  2. Lt Cdr Data

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, May 5, 2004
  3. Lt Cdr Data

blakeaudio

if you can do without a phono pre amp, try the eastern electric minimax. check out the reviews and other info:

www.eeaudio.com

they retail in the uk for about £800, you can get them from the distributor in germany for about £500. absolute bargin and sounds wonderful. build quality is great and i thnk it looks pretty good too.

blakeaudio, May 5, 2004
  4. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ian (Data),

Here's a suggestion. Of the pre amps & phono stages you have tried, which ones did you like? Maybe you can look at one of these & pick one up again. Then you could tweak it.

Did you get the Audio Innovations L2 pre? If so how about tweaking it. I did think that the SJS Arcadia model 1 was one of the best for under a £1000. I do think this can be improved with tweaking.

I would look at passive pre amps. Look out for Audio Synthesis units or build your own. You could pick up a unit like a NVA, Audio Innovations, etc and change the pot for a stepped attunator. Also look at the WAD kit as way forward.

Look at this site for some interesting kits. I like the look of the transformer passive.

http://www.triode-systems.com/diyhs_kit_sales.htm

If you are after an all in one valve pre amp with a good phono stage, try the EAR 864 which can be picked up for less than a £1000. Also look at the Croft pre amps. Look out for a Croft Vitale pre which has a very good phono stage. It is excellent value for money. The only downside is that it has dual mono volume controls which can be a pain. Croft have been making pre amps since the early 80s & items such as the micro, super micro & mega Micro can be picked up 2nd hand.

As for speakers, what is the size & layout of your room & how much free space do have to play with. If stuck for space, lookout for a pair Snell K which can be had for little money. Again what have you tried & what did you like about them?

P.S. I know you have a Gyrodek & WAD Triode amps, what is the rest of your system. What speakers are you using now?

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 5, 2004
  5. Lt Cdr Data

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Saw some Impulse H1s at less than £1k recently - I think at The Emporium.. Go very nicely with a little triode thing!

leonard smalls, May 5, 2004
  6. Lt Cdr Data

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

How about a WAD phono. The guys over there have tweaked it up and it has seen off some stiff competition.

Also how about making some speakers. My woodworking skills are rubbish, but I've got a couple of designs in mind including these
    [​IMG]
    which are based on a Jordan design for their JX92s driver.

LiloLee, May 5, 2004
Ask a Question