Need to contact tannoy!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Hmm ive decided that ive had enough of the dented super tweeter, it defonately degrades the sound as i have carried out careful testing the last few days :( the treble is definately more rolled off, its extremely obvious when listening to 1 speaker at the time. Would it be more cost effective to get some1 out to replace that tweeter or buy a brand new single speaker if that is possible, the super tweeter is attatched on via a rubber mold and i cant see how it can be removed for a new unit. Does any1 have a reliable source to contact tannoy? Ive emailed them and its been 4 days and still no reply :rolleyes: cheers

Ultra :mad:

Ultrasonic, Jan 14, 2005
  2. Ultrasonic

Mr.C

Er...try phoning them :rolleyes:

Mr.C, Jan 14, 2005
  3. Ultrasonic

Dev Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2005
    Dev, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Ultrasonic

spion kop

When I had a dented tweeter in a pair of tannoy mercury m2's I was able to order a replacement directly from tannoy by telephoning them, worked out a lot cheaper than leaving it to a dealer to sort.
    Give them a ring, asking for parts department.

spion kop, Jan 15, 2005
  5. Ultrasonic

ListeningEar

hahaha,...well what a coincidence, I myself have just been dealing with Tannoy on a very similar issue this past week. A friend of mine has a pair of 605 LE's packed away, he bought them new back in the 90's, and one speaker has never worked properly.

He used them a couple of times then had a tweeter go out, he got this replaced under the Tannoy warranty and then shortly thereafter it went out again!

As he travels around Internationally on business at the time he just placed them back in the boxes and forgot about them. Just recently he has decided to have a good clear out and asked me if I would take a look.

I ran the usual test CD and sure enough the upper frequencies being diverted at the cross-over to the tweeter were not present. Opening the speaker I found that the soldering on the main woofer driver was pretty shocking, one joint even being broken (remember, these were only used a few times straight from new).

The capacitor on the cross-over looked like it may have leaked but I removed the drives and tested them in another unit and the woofer worked fine but the tweeter was dead.

I went onto Tannoy's technical support web page and completed their response form. I waited about two-weeks, nothing! I sent another message indicating that this was the second attempt to contact them, then after a couple of days I received a response.

The Technical contact gave me the part number and pricing of the tweeter but said these were out of stock until the 20th January, but he did not answer my request for a replacement capacitor.

I requested further clarification on the capacitor but got nothing,...requested again then I received a message saying,..."I need more time".

I then sent another email asking how much time do they think they need? Then they responed with,..."Tannoy have a policy of not giving out schematics on any of their designs but here's an old schematic of a similar speaker (but not the correct one!)."

This was getting really frustrating, I was not asking for Tannoy's complete design theory, I was merely requesting the specs of the capacitor they used in this speaker. Ordinarily component identification should not have been a problem but when they fitted this cap., it was covered in some kind of gum then wrapped in a thick blue rubber shrink-wrap type material.

The only markings on the blue wrap was 3.3 micro farrad rating and a long number which presumably was Tannoy's part number. I had taken a digital image of this and sent to the guy at Tannoy, he said just go and buy a 3.3 micro farrad cap from your hobby store.

Well I planned to do that anyway but wanted to make sure of the type they used in this design.

While it is wrong to presume someones true sentiment via email support, I could not help thinking that their customer support level leaves lot to be desired. What really got me questionning their support was in one of his emails he indicated that this speaker is very old (1994), almost trying to say that it's not worth bothering with.

Well to my friend/Tannoy customer it is worth bothering with!

Well, the tweeter was an easy purchase, just got the part number, called their sales line and got it ordered. There is no problem is buying replacement drives from Tannoy as long as they still supply them.

The tweeter for the 605 LE's works out to be about £43.00 plus VAT and postage, not cheap and from past experience as an owner of Tannoy speakers, expect to pay top money for replacement parts (in fact, thinking about it, Tannoy are the only speakers I have ever owned where I too have had dodgy tweeter drives). :rolleyes:

Best of luck with their support.

ListeningEar, Jan 15, 2005
Ask a Question