Need urgent help in reterminating a VDH d102 mkiii cable

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by eitook, Apr 1, 2007.

1. eitook

eitook Noob

Greetings zerogainers, your invaluable insight is most appreciated in these times of desperate needs!

I recently bought a pair of used cables, and i realised there was a problem of intermittance with one of the cables (the one labelled in blue); so I unscrewed the factory terminated rca plugs, and to my horror the solder has broken off at the source end of the cable.

I tried resoldering the plug, and this initially seemed to work but eventually the solder gave way againl (i'm a DIY noob you see).

What do you suggest I do? I understand that the shield braid should be grounded together with one of the core cables only at the source end, and have tried this, but I faced difficulty in getting the braids to fit into the plug. I have given up hope on this, do you know where I can get this professionally reterminated? Any specific dealers which I could turn to?

Many thanks for helping a defeated soul,
    Nick

eitook, Apr 1, 2007
  2. eitook

spev

easiest thing to do may be to find your local tv/electrical repair shop and ask if they'll resolder it for you - I got a chap local to me to make up a pair of cables once and he did it free of charge (though I did feel obliged to buy a scart lead off him...)

spev, Apr 1, 2007
  3. eitook

zanash

pm I'll do them for you ...free [unless I need to use any materials] but even so it should be just a couple of moments work .....famous last words !

zanash, Apr 2, 2007
  4. eitook

eitook Noob

zanash,

Your act of generosity is unparalleled!! Many thanks for replying the PM, pls let me know how I can compensate

Regards,
    Nick

eitook, Apr 3, 2007
  5. eitook

zanash

said cable has now arrived .......

in factory form the screen is seen at both ends by the ground return....how odd as there web site states its a pseudo balanced....

I'm going to take this as a construction fault and rebuild as advertised ...

technical point .............

the ground return is striped and twisted about the base of the signal wire insulation this is than clamped by the plug ....the screen has not been covered so that the bare metal of the ground return is touching the screen ....a small ammount of heat shrink will sort this by isolating the screen from ground...

I wonder how this is going to effect the performance....

zanash, Apr 5, 2007
  6. eitook

mr cat Member of the month

interesting - I have one of these cables (mentioned it before on here I think) and I bought it from fleabay - however, the seller implied on his advert that he was upgrading his setup (hence the sale), but on close scrutiny he had sold a load of these cables and the plugs weren't that of what you'd normally get from VDH - but maplins cheapo jobbies...we concluded that he'd bought a reel of the cable and terminated them himself...

the cable sounds fine to me - but I would like to compare it with a 'real' so I can compare...

mr cat, Apr 5, 2007
  7. eitook

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

The plugs on the real deal are nice ones (to use at any rate), not talking about sound here. So what difference it makes is an unknown, not a lot I'd guess unless you change interconnects a lot, in which case a nice smooth plug is a boon.

The cable can be purchased by the reel, so I'd guess that's what he's doing.

Uncle Ants, Apr 5, 2007
  8. eitook

zanash

the first ultimate ...sounds thick and conjested against the agau...

I've a problem with one of the plugs ..melted and full of solder ...so it seems I may have to reterminate all [depending on the owners decission] this could provide a usful idea as to the quality of the plugs ....They are a tiffany type and are slightly lower in quality IMO than the maplin ones at £2 ish a throw...

which are far worse than the £0.75p ny series neutriks...though they are far less pretty!

http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/d-102-3h.htm

the carbon fibre seems to be a shield rather than a conductor even though its in electrical contact...not what I had anticipated !

zanash, Apr 5, 2007
Ask a Question