Needing cd player recommendations

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by greg788, Nov 25, 2007.

1. greg788

greg788

Hi. I just registered here. I recently sold my Naim CDX2. I found it too bright and forward as time went by. The rest of my system is a Leben CS-600 amplifier with Audio Note AX-2 Signature speakers.

I can't really demo anything due to my geographical location. I'm looking for a super smooth cd player. I have a shortlist and I was wondering if anyone's compared any of these or at least heard than and can comment:

Primare CD31
    Copland CDA-822
    Lector CDP-06T
    47 Labs Shigaraki
    Sonneteer Byron

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome. I want something very smooth, laid back and grain free. I'm very sensitive to brightness, sibilance, etc. I've heard the Saturn and Resolution Opus and found them too analytical sounding.

greg788, Nov 25, 2007
  2. greg788

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Greg,

Welcome to Zerogain.

Has for the cd choice, there could be many to choose from. I'm surprised you found the Resolution Opus too analytical. Not something I would label it. The 47 labs Shigaraki looks (and sounds) interesting. I have heard these cd players but in different systems in different in different places.

Where are you based? Is it really a bad Hifi backwater that you have no dealers nearby. Ideally you need to try in your system.

What is your budget? Do you want to buy new or 2nd hand?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 25, 2007
  3. greg788

greg788

I'm in America. Budget is up to $2500 American, which is around 1500 pounds sterling I imagine. I'm looking new. I don't trust buying used with cd players. I'm in a hi fi backwater indeed as you said.

greg788, Nov 25, 2007
  4. greg788

hifi addict

Audion CD player if you can find one with the bendix 6900 valves.
    MSB platinum of power dac with a decent transport.

hifi addict, Nov 25, 2007
  5. greg788

hifi addict

hifi addict, Nov 25, 2007
  6. greg788

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Do they!

Purite Audio, Nov 25, 2007
  7. greg788

maddog 2

I've got a Byron so here is my biased view...;)

I've not really had enough cash to play around with any £1000+ players in the past so couldn't comment on how it compares to equivalent players you mention. However, I have experimented with quite a few £500ish players (and a lot of cables and room acoustics) and the Byron is clearly a step up from them.

I love mine. I listen to alot of acoutic/simple music so the player has to be clean and neutral, with no grain or hardness and the Byron manages all that.

Obviously, this is all system/person dependent so it's just my opinion but I'm a big fan and would recommend one without hesitation.

maddog 2, Nov 25, 2007
  8. greg788

peez

used classe cdp 10 or sugden cd 21 or se variant are both great

peez, Nov 25, 2007
  9. greg788

rollo

I own the Lector CDP7 which will give you what you want. The CDP-06T has a similar presentation. The Primare is analog like as well. The 47 Labs is more neutral and requires the best recordings it shows it all. Not familiar wit the other two.
    I am very sensitive to sibilance as well and the Lector handles it in a very natural unhyped way. Hope that helps.

rollo

rollo, Nov 26, 2007
  10. greg788

martimu

Just to add to your list

I've just had a demo of the new Audio Note 2.1x (circa £1700 new) against my current Avondale AAA5 which I guess has a similar house sound to the CDX2. I think you'd be worth seeking out a demo as should give you the sound you are looking for.

Martin

martimu, Nov 26, 2007
  11. greg788

Neil

Mmmm - I sold my Eastsound E5 to an ex CDX owner who found the forward / bright presentation wearing after a while. I know that it's "kinda last year" but it's a wonderful player with fine build for around GBP 500. Buy from Cattylink, Mr Law is fully trustworthy and gives a very low customs value to save you a few $s
    I can't be too generous about the player, I think its just what you need.

Neil, Nov 26, 2007
Ask a Question