new amp...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Nov 10, 2003.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Hi Folk's,
    I'm after an new stereo amp - given my existing kit, what do you think I should go for..?
    My initial choice is -
    Nad c320cbee
    Rotel ra-01
    Marantz pm7200
    Cambridge audio 640 (the new one, for 250 notes!)
    Or some other at same price, or second hand..?

My music style is mainly indie, dance, ambient - not normally at excessive volumes, and I will demo where possible…

I don't want the music to be too harsh, or bright sounding either!
    Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2003
    mr cat, Nov 10, 2003
  2. mr cat

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've not heard any of them but hfw loved the cambridge audio. i'd suggest some home demoing is in order.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 10, 2003
  3. mr cat

michaelab desafinado

I haven't heard any of them but out of your shortlist my choice would be the Rotel. Seems to have good write ups allround and people who have them seem to love them.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2003
  4. mr cat

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Second hand will always give you more bang for your buck.

Both Linn and Naim have very good dealer support, and can be had very cheap, a few other examples below.

NAIM NAC 42/90 old style pre/new style power shoebox 300

LINN L1/K2 pre power , no remote 300

CRIMSON 620 stereo power amp, 200

ARCAM ALPHA 9 integrated amp, 300

Meridian 101B pre 2 x 105 mono blocs £250.

bottleneck, Nov 10, 2003
  5. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

cool, where have you sourced these from..?

mr cat, Nov 10, 2003
  6. mr cat

Hi mr cat

My usual sources!!

1) www.ex-dem.co.uk
    2) www.emporium.dircon.co.uk
    3) www.hi-fiworld.co.uk (classified section)
    4) also try adverts for 'the trading station' in peterborough. They sell the ex-dem stock and sec hand stock for K J West One and other multiples. See the magazine adds for listings as opposed to the net, which doesnt have the full lists.
    5) www.hififorsale.com (classified section)
    6) not on the net, but also the classified adds from hifi news is good too.
    7) classifieds from the internet forums too, like here, hifi choice, pink fish media, Naim? (dont know never been)

Personally, Id avoid e-bay unless you really know what you're doing there.

NB If you are ok with circuit diagrams and a soldering iron, do consider a valve kit too, which can give tremendous VFM.
    Not for the faint hearted.

bottleneck, Nov 10, 2003
  7. mr cat

michaelab desafinado

I think that's a bit harsh. As with any auction, if you know what you want and know how much it should cost (and, most importantly, how much you're willing to spend) then you can get some great bargains.

If you use a bit of common sense you shouldn't get stung by fraudulent sellers.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2003
  8. mr cat

Zoomer

I heard good things from from rotel at that price not sure of the setup it was but good none the less.

I would recomend holding out for a better amp like the 500 or so range or try s/h.

Zoomer, Nov 10, 2003
  9. mr cat

fatmarley

Hello everyone,

This is my first post after lurking hear for a while, i usually lurk on the pink fish site

I bought an Onix 21 and soap power supply for £230, i'ts got a similar sound to Naim.
    These are a good second hand buy because most people hav'nt heard of Onix
    It produces 50 watts per channel, with the soap power supply plugged in you get a cleaner sound coupled with an increase in dynamics, but no remote.

The Naim 42.5 pre amp is a good second hand buy (around £60), also the Naim nap 110 power amp (around £200) and 160 power amp (around £300)

The Arcam delta 290 and Arcam alpha 9 (75 watts per channel IIRC) will produce a bigger soundstage than the Naim's but with a slower bass.
    I once owned an Arcam alpha 6+ amp and i miss the big soundstage it produced but i doubt i'd like it now after being a Naim user for a number of years.

Remember Naim amps are easy to sell on, so if you don't like what you buy, sell it with very little loss or maybe even a profit

fatmarley, Nov 10, 2003
  10. mr cat

No probs ! :D I'll refine it!

E-bay is a place where audio equipment often receives bids above and beyond the items second hand value. Unless you know the second hand value of the item you shouldnt bid.

E-bay is a place where you are buying sight unseen. Recently one forum member bought a product with a real fault, and ended up in a situation where he felt he had to seek legal advice to get recompense.

My own sister bought a copy of Windows 2000 on e-bay - only to be sent a copy of the CD and not the original!

On e-bay you're buying sight unseen, and in audio equipment sound-unheard aswell.

I personally dont think its sensible to buy audio products on e-bay unless you get to audition them first. Many people choose not to of course, but they are taking a risk and relying on the honesty of the seller. That can either work out or blow up in your face.

E-bay has rules and regulations to protect you somewhat, but they dont amount to much when the going gets tough.

..... I know some forum members have struck gold on e-bay - like Graham with his LC amp. At the end of the day though, he took a gamble and it paid off.

I standby not reccomending buying audio on e-bay if you're an audio or e-bay newcomer or both... the places I'd reccomend to a newcomer are second hand or ex-dem from a reputable dealer, then at least you've got some come back, and in many cases a warranty of some sort.

Mr cat - I'd stick with a dealer or a private sale from a classified with an audition first.

Happy shopping!
    Chris

bottleneck, Nov 10, 2003
  11. mr cat

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I've found Loot to be worth a try. To get the most out of it you have to sign up as an 'early bird'.

7_V, Nov 11, 2003
  12. mr cat

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Classic :cool:

MO!, Nov 11, 2003
  13. mr cat

lordsummit moderate mod

A couple of others for you to think about

Quad 33/303's or 33/405's should be in your price range, bullet proof with a big sound
    Linn Intek, available for about £150 more precise than the Quads, and better bass too
    Audiolab 8000's again in your price range, leaner than the Linn, I don't like it much, but many do
    If it were my money I'd look for a good Intek (that's what I did in the end) but there is some classic stuff out there for not a lot of money. don't believe that because it's newer it's better.

lordsummit, Nov 11, 2003
Ask a Question