New car suggestions!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Ok I have a £1000 to spend.
    I need something roomy, preferably an estate.
    Economical..I drive a K reg Astra diesel at the moment that does nearly 50mpg....but is dead slow.
    Doesn't go wrong.
    Cheap insurance.

What you got for me!? :D

Heavymental, Nov 21, 2005
  2. Heavymental

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Stretching the budget a bit, maybe up to £1500 or so....

Toyota Avensis. Nice and roomy, comfy, reliable as you like, might even get a diesel for that.

Otherwise easily in budget is a jellybean shape (mk 2) ford Mondeo. Make sure cambelt is done on the diesel.

I-S, Nov 21, 2005
  3. Heavymental

T-bone Sanchez

If you dont mind going french you could find a nice example of a laguna/xantia/406 with a derv engine in it. At the time these seemed to be the best of the bunch engine wise. You might even find a 80E with the 1.9tdi but you might need big balls to buy one.

If you or you know someone who knows there way round a motor and an auction try that out for size.

T-bone Sanchez, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Heavymental

Heavymental

Yeah had been thinking of a 406. Had heard Lagunas went wrong alot but I had a savanna for a long time and it was fine really. Derv engine...whats that short for?

5. Heavymental

T-bone Sanchez

Derv is diesel, cant remember what derv actually mean. All french cars are fragile, but the peugeot diesels are usually good for a 6 figure miles. As much as I hate Citreon (and thats alot) the Xantia Estate with the 1.9tdi could be a good motor for you, just look out for the hydrogas suspension, in particular the sphere's which are a major weakness.

T-bone Sanchez, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Heavymental

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

I can't believe my eyes, T-bone actually advertising a French product !!! Have you seen the light at last? ;)

Sir Galahad, Nov 21, 2005
  7. Heavymental

Heavymental

Hmm yes...had a friend with a older citroen and the suspension was a nightmare. Have avoided them because of that. Xantia is along the right lines in all other respects though.

8. Heavymental

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

If you're buying a Mondeo MK1/MK2 make sure the clutch has been changed fairly recently or certainly make sure there is no signs of slippage. I am not sure about the Diesel but certainly on the petrol versions to change the clutch its an engine out job. However Mondeo clutches are easily capable of 100k+ city milleage.

Lagunas are supposed to be quite unrelaible and Xantia's are no better. 406s seem to be very good at motor milleage.

Out of the suggestions so far I am liking the Audi 80, despite their grand age they still look pretty good and they are very solid. Insurance may be a bit steep though.

amazingtrade, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Heavymental

Heavymental

LPG would be good aswell as I notice they are starting to filter through to second hand now.

10. Heavymental

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Roomy, reliable estate for under £1k?? That'd be an old Volvo then ... except for the 50 MPG thing - which is probably impossible for any Estate worth its name - unless you luck out and find a diesel.

Seriously though, you could pick up a really nice condition 240, 740 or 940 estate for that money. For simplicity and reliability go for a 240 - for creature comforts and a more modern sort of drive a 940. Don't expect much more than 30 MPG though (the 240s are better than the 740/940s in this respect) - unless as I mentioned you really got lucky and found a diesel.

For a bit more you might find an old Merc (w126)- they've usually done a lot of miles, but if they've been properly maintained can go on forever.

Mercs are a bit special actually and surprisingly cheap so long as you don't mind one thats past its 10th birthday - a 10/15 year old merc in good nick is better than most modern cars. You wouldn't want a new one anyway - too complex to fix - the old one's were agricultural and as a result cheap and easy to fix (unless you go to a Merc garage - where its expensive and easy to fix :rolleyes: )

PPS. I am a bit biased as my current chariot is a 25 year old Merc w123 - best car I've ever owned tbh.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Nov 21, 2005
  11. Heavymental

Heavymental

hmmm yes...like this?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...category=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200544212546259

Sorry...I need to get the hang of that tiny url thing.

I'm not going to get something that does under 35mpg, otherwise I'll just get another Astra as despite its crapness it does do 50mpg. So its either Diesel, very economical petrol or LPG really.

12. Heavymental

Exactly so.

PS. If its something which is big enough to carry a decent load then its either Diesel or LPG - very economical petrol estates simply don't exist ... well not for £1k anyway. An LPG 740 for £750 would be well worth looking at I'd have said.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Nov 21, 2005
  13. Heavymental

lordsummit moderate mod

Not sure why you'd spend all that on a conversion and not have it serviced. The Merc idea is a good one, dead cheap to fix, otherwise you'll get a volvo for that money. Stay away from the Audi's, they suffer from injection problems, and it costs a packet to fix. I'm told they need injectors at between 80 and a 100k, that's why people get shut of them.

lordsummit, Nov 21, 2005
  14. Heavymental

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Get a rover, they are giving them away. There will be no parts in a few years larf.

Having got a seat Cordoba in recent weeks TDi, I would say keep an eye out for one, apart from the doors freezing shut this morning its been so far a lovely car to drive and own.

garyi, Nov 21, 2005
  15. Heavymental

You have a point ... but then people can be a bit strange sometimes. Ebay's always worth a shufty ... so long as you aren't stupid and make sure you look before you buy.

Uncle Ants, Nov 21, 2005
  16. Heavymental

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

leonard smalls, Nov 21, 2005
  17. Heavymental

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Skodas, VWs and seats are all coming out the same factory, I would also recommend a skoda I had one for a year and never had any issues, except with the name: Felicia, its just sooo close.

garyi, Nov 21, 2005
  18. Heavymental

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Not as bad as the Labia :D
    And I've currently got a Cocktavia...

leonard smalls, Nov 21, 2005
  19. Heavymental

technobear Ursine Audiophile

LPG? Well you could afford a high mileage Focus Estate or Astra Estate. I've spent much of the last five years buzzing around in a selection of these. I wouldn't touch one with yours. Nothing but trouble and not great to drive :rolleyes:

Diesels? I have a mate who runs an old Pug 406 Estate. I think it's a 2.4 litre turbodiesel. It's automatic too. He reckons that providing they've been regularly serviced, these will go 200,000 miles no problem.

I wouldn't touch Ford or Vauxhall (and yes I've owned both and driven plenty).

For a medium size Estate I'd look for a well looked after Citroen Xsara. Unlike the Xantia, the Xsara has conventional suspension. Agreeably cheap to buy, good diesel engine and fairly well equipped too.

For a large size Estate, the Pug or what Uncle Ants said.

technobear, Nov 21, 2005
  20. Heavymental

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My uncle bought a brand new MG ZR for £6k but its falling to pieces already. But he dosn't care as he is a Rover fanatic and he could afford a fast brand new car.

amazingtrade, Nov 21, 2005
Ask a Question