New cartridge recommendations

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, May 26, 2004.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Hi,

My AT-OC30's really about due a change - it's begun to sound a bit tired so felt it would be wise to start shopping around for its replacement. I've considered having it re-tipped but rather fancy something a bit different - the AT's very tuneful and rhythmic but can sound somewhat lacking in 'guts'; very much an AT family trait from past experience of OC9/AT-F5 etc etc.

I don't really want to spend more than 500 quid or so - any more wouldn't really be worth it in an RB300.

I had considered a Sumiko BPS but apart from this, don't really know what's out there. I don't mind MC or MM - if it sounds right it is right, however it generates its volts. :)

Rest of the system is Gyro/RB300+techno/Trichord Dino/Sugden A21/ProAc Tablette 50 Signatures. Musical tastes go from Palestrina to The Smiths.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions. :)

Gromit, May 26, 2004
  2. Gromit

Joolsburger

Dynavector DV20XL or a DV17 Carat would work very well with your set up I reckon.

I have a Dino and a Lavardin which is similar in ethos to your Sugden and I haven't found a better cart than the Dynavector DV20XL for the money.

Joolsburger, May 26, 2004
  3. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

denon dl103, can't get better under £500, plus only costs £100, trust me on this one. superb

hows the proacs BTW?

Lt Cdr Data, May 26, 2004
  4. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Thanks for the input guys :)

The ProAcs are now running fine thanks - I've plugged the rear ports with sponge and they've been transformed; all the muddiness has disappeared and left me with a very lively, enjoyable pair of speakers. :)

Gromit, May 26, 2004
  5. Gromit

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I'm probably out of date here ..haven't looked at cart prices for years... but if they do a cart in your price bracket try and get to listen to a Lyra cart. (if they are still going that is).

GTM

GTM, May 27, 2004
  6. Gromit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

its so hard to dem carts at home, so Ive been compiling mental favorites based on less than ideal demos...

Music Maker II
    Benz Glider

Those would be on my short list if I was looking at the moment.
    they're grrrreeat.

bottleneck, May 27, 2004
  7. Gromit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Aha. Someone whose actually heard the Music Maker. Does it live up to the hype then?

Uncle Ants, May 27, 2004
  8. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Me too - I'd love to know more about this thing, and if all the fuss is justified. :)

Gromit, May 27, 2004
Ask a Question