new cartridge

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by NEWGUY, Nov 4, 2004.

1. NEWGUY

NEWGUY

Heres a dilema guys,having just brought some tasty atc active 20 speakers my cd player is sounding superb more like vinyl .problem is my girodeck which is fitted with an Audiotechnica at33PTG,sounds a bit to thin and hard now like cd !!!.its very detailed but lacks that integrated sound like my cd player
    I need some advice on a more suitable ie smoother; dare i say warmer sounding cart.I plan to buy from Germany and will have around £600 to spend.Any one got any ideas please?

NEWGUY, Nov 4, 2004
  2. NEWGUY

joel Shaman of Signals

This sounds like a job for rohMAN.

joel, Nov 4, 2004
  3. NEWGUY

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, Nov 4, 2004
  4. NEWGUY

Mr.C

The Dynavector DV17MkII Karat may prove to be 'warmer' than your present cart, it has a very good midrange reminiscent of much pricier carts. Lyra carts can be quite smooth IME, perhaps too smooth. The Rohmann is also a very good choice, I heard it with a Gyrodec and it performed very well. It's a tough choice - take arm/cart matching into careful consideration!

Mr.C, Nov 5, 2004
  5. NEWGUY

joel Shaman of Signals

This is what I use, and very good it is too. However, it took a change of record player to hear just how good the DV17 can be. Don't forget that it is very light and has a *very* short cantilever. Care with arm matching required.

[​IMG]

joel, Nov 5, 2004
  6. NEWGUY

NEWGUY

Thanx guys,ill definately buy from germany,thinking now of a Koetsu Black ,supposed to have very smooth mid and warmish bass so might work a treat .....

NEWGUY, Nov 5, 2004
  7. NEWGUY

joel Shaman of Signals

I think this is the "badge engineered" Koetsu (ie not a "real" Koetsu) Proceed with caution. What arm are you using BTW

joel, Nov 5, 2004
  8. NEWGUY

NEWGUY

mmm ok im using a rewired ol moded rb 300,i just need a smoother ,warmer cart but still with great soundstaging,depth separation that my audiotechnica gives

NEWGUY, Nov 5, 2004
  9. NEWGUY

sideshowbob Trisha

If you're interested in Koetsu go to www.ebay.com (not .co.uk) and do a search for "koetsu". You should find listings for a Hong Kong based seller called 2juki. Lots of people have dealt with him happily, he's a legit seller. If he isn't listing what you're after, drop him an email and magically it'll appear.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 5, 2004
  10. NEWGUY

joel Shaman of Signals

Lyra, as far as I am aware ;) will not honour guarantees for carts purchased through this seller. THe same may well apply to other manus with foreign distribution in place. Caveat Emptor.
    Talking of Lyra, the new stereo Dorian (which I haven't heard, yet) could be *just* what you're looking for. I certainly plan on giving it and it's mono sibling an audition, funds permitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
    joel, Nov 5, 2004
  11. NEWGUY

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I have purchased off 2Juki in the past. He has sold a range of cartridges including the Ortofon Rohmann at very good prices. The cartridge I bought was paid for on Sunday and arrive on Thursday. I had no problems. He had a rohmann for less than £400. There may be the import tax & duty if you are unlucky but I have only ever been stung once with things that I have bought from the far east and USA. He does Koetsus cartridge, which I have been nearly tempted by. Huge savings. There is always an element of risk buying stuff from abroad. He does offer insurance on the goods.

The Rohmann is a very good cartridge. Also look at the Kontrapunt & Jubilee range.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 5, 2004
  12. NEWGUY

capdegat

hi

I've just got a gyro se and already had the dynavector dv17 sowhat is the best arm please ? Ebay has a silver and a silver taper at the moment for examplr.

les

capdegat, Nov 6, 2004
  13. NEWGUY

sideshowbob Trisha

What's the budget? The Michell Tecnoarm (A) is very good, about £400. I like unipivots, I use a Hadcock 242SE which is splendid in every way. Secondhand about £400 again. If the budget's less than that a stock RB300 works fine.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  14. NEWGUY

capdegat

anything within reason! I've seen a tecnoarm for £325 But thought the origins were better .D'ont know hadcock

les

capdegat, Nov 6, 2004
  15. NEWGUY

sideshowbob Trisha

Not heard or seen the Silver or Taper, so I have no idea really, but I can vouch for the Technoarm (bear in mind there are two versions for this, the newer one is the Technoarm (A) version, and is apparently better than the older). I like Michell, and they know about engineering, so my instinct would be to go for their mods rather than anyone else's, but that's just me.

The Hadcock is one of the oldest UK arms, still in production. The one I have is recent (about 4 years old), beautifully made, silver-wired throughout, and just sounds right to me. I upgraded from a stock RB300 and the improvement was well worth it. Morch also make very nice unipivots, the UP-4, which come up secondhand for reasonable money every so often. Unipivots on a suspended deck take a little while to get used to, but I doubt I'd ever revert to a gimballed arm.

The good news is that Michell will machine an armboard for whatever you choose for about £25.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  16. NEWGUY

Mr.C

capdegat, the Rega arms are a great match for the DV17, so I presume the Origin arms, which are all based upon the Regas, are as good a match, if not better. For the money I think this is the best choice, unless you can find a 2nd-hand SME, but the matching may be a problem with these arms.

Mr.C, Nov 6, 2004
  17. NEWGUY

sideshowbob Trisha

The Technoarm's a modded Rega too, although the changes are a bit more dramatic.

I think the DV17 should work OK with most modern arms. If you want to do the maths,
    this thread on the old Pink Fish forum contains all the necessary calculations.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 6, 2004
  18. NEWGUY

capdegat

thanks for the info although my head hurts when I have to do sums .It must be old age !
    les

capdegat, Nov 6, 2004
  19. NEWGUY

Mr.C

I used to own a DV17 with an SME309 and the combination was flawed - it sounded great but had a few tracking/tracing problems, likely to do with the low mass and very short cantilever, a problem which I have now eradicated by way of a better arm/cart match.

Mr.C, Nov 6, 2004
Ask a Question