New cartridge

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, Jul 9, 2007.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

Have just replaced my Rega Elys with a Denon 110. It has sorted out all the concerns that I have had over my analogue playback. Infact, it's so good that I am going to buy another one to sleep with.
    Taking a heavy duty file to the arm mounting hole was equally fun.

Speaking to the Chap at Noteworthy Audio, he reccomends the Project speed controller as the next possible upgrade as he feels that an outlay of around £800+ is needed to seriously better the Rega. I have now got the upgrade bug and it will take several large calibre rounds of depleted uranium and industrial strength nippon to disuede me from my task.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
    pixies, Jul 9, 2007
  2. pixies

dudywoxer Regaholic

try and borrow an acrylic platter before you get the speedbox, and see if that makes the Rega any more to your style.
    ________
    Pattaya apartments

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 9, 2007
  3. pixies

scott_01

Pixies

As well as the Speedbox if you want to pay some more (you know you want to), the HEED Audio unit at around 250.00 is supposed to be an excellent unit.

http://www.tsource.co.uk/extra44.html

I think there are a few people on here who have them with other TTs.

P.S. Blatant plug, I'll be putting a Trichord Dino up for sale today / tomorrow, see Classified section.

scott_01, Jul 9, 2007
  4. pixies

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Great phono. Love mine, like I said in the other thread its open to modular upgrades from Trichord. ...you know you want it!

SMEagol, Jul 9, 2007
  5. pixies

scott_01

It's on,,, oh yeah,,, it's on (ebay and the classified section).

scott_01, Jul 10, 2007
  6. pixies

i'll have a look bob. bid on a diablo yesterday that was upto £190 not sure i wanted it but the bidding frenzy went upto £420 thanks to my twitchy finger:)

pixies, Jul 10, 2007
  7. pixies

The speedbox for non project tables is £300!

pixies, Jul 10, 2007
  8. pixies

scott_01

300 Quid? Isn't it only around 80 for Pro-ject TTs?

That is quite a bit and more than I thought.

Have you thought about the OL DC kits? The lowest price DC kit is 329.00 now. They are supposed to be a 'night and day' upgrade but I've never heard a before and after demo.

I've always been tempted to DC my Syncro but now I want to sell it and don't think I'll get the money back.

Failing that with my (again) limited experience for 300 quid I'd suggest changing to a better Cart and doing the structure mods on your arm might be worthwhile too.

scott_01, Jul 10, 2007
  9. pixies

yes but the complete frequency transformer for other decks is £300 - it's more than just a switch. not sure which way to go now; probably just give the cartridge a bit of time to bed in and then enjoy the music for a while. seriously considering a dino or a slee 2 se though...i like boxes!

pixies, Jul 10, 2007
  10. pixies

Hamilton

Certainly made a huge difference to my antique Thorens - quite startling in fact, and finally convinced me there's more to this analogue lark than I'd thought. More detail, better timing, solid bass, just a lot more real. Can't say what it would do for a Rega, but my experience was exactly in line with OL's claims.

Hamilton, Jul 11, 2007
Ask a Question