New CD/DVD Transport?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Nov 24, 2005.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Apologies for the cut and paste from a previous thread but it had gone a bit off topic and I hope a few more people will see this. My cd transport is in need of repair and so I thought that a new one might be in order. Also could be time to amalgamate cd and dvd transports and save on boxes etc.
    But not sure which way to go. Belive I have a few options:
    1) Get a new (i.e. second hand) CD transport. Likely suspects are the Meridian 500, The TAG CD20TL or one of the TEAC VRDS transports (seen S10se, £350 + P-30, £900 + T1, price? how do they compare?)
    2) Get a new (i.e. second hand) DVD transport and also sell dvd player. Most likely option would be to get a TAG DVD32R as this would match the AV32R dac and I could use the sync link which apparently is very good. DVD32Rs seem to go from £900-£1600 (depending on options)
    3) Get a new (i.e. second hand) CD Player. Not sure about this, but there seem to be quite a few second hand bargains. Seen a couple of Wadias (Wadia 6 for £1200?) or a 301 (s/h price?) or something from Copland or Classe (heard before and liked sound)

So, any advice on which way to go? Any advice gratefully received.
    Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Nov 24, 2005
  2. liamjf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

P-30 pure and simple nothing to touch for the money

wadia-miester, Nov 24, 2005
  3. liamjf

liamjf

Interesting Tony. You think this would be better with an AV32R than the DVD32R (same price at £900, and a lot of money for just transport) or a better solution than a Wadia 6 (£1200) straight to the amp? Any idea on rough prices for s/h Wadia 6/6i/301 etc?

liamjf, Nov 24, 2005
  4. liamjf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

its a tranport only the p30 incorperates an 48Khz src as well.
    You just missed a reather nice 6i
    Wadia 6 start at £1k and goto £1400, 301's start at £1700 and goto £2K max

wadia-miester, Nov 24, 2005
  5. liamjf

liamjf

Yes, the 6i was yours wasn't it? ;)
    What I was getting at was differences between say a P-30 or Tag DVD32 transport and TAG Dac (i.e. transport use only), & say a Wadia 6 run straight to amp (ie. not used as transport only)
    Is the Wadia 6 a good buy (I take it it's quite old)
    Liam.

liamjf, Nov 24, 2005
  6. liamjf

GaryG

I tried the one-box solution with a DVD32FLR, picture quality was pretty good but RBCD wasn't as good as my Meridian 602. I upgraded to a Meridian G98 which I had modified by Audiocom, that was better than the 602 and the 32FLR, I also tried a Meridian 500 which was also good, better detail than the G98 but a more raw, splashy sound. I now have a Wadia after taking Tony's advice, given that you have a Bel Canto amp I would hold out for a Wadia if I were you and buy a cheap DVD player.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Nov 24, 2005
  7. liamjf

Petergc

I use a wadia6 alongside an Arcam DV27a DVD player, and the Wadia is just miles better on CD. I have yet to hear a CD player that significantly betters it, although I have not listened comparatively to the later Wadias

Petergc, Nov 24, 2005
  8. liamjf

liamjf

Thanks for the replies guys - Peter and Gary are you talking about the differences between analogue outputs (and I can see hear they would be different) or via the digital outputs and Dac (and specifically Gary, were you running into a Tag Dac and able to use the sync link?). I do allready have a cheap DVD player (actually, not that cheap Sony DVD725S) and via the digital outs of both it and the T-Drive through the Tag DAC the T-Drive is better by some margin.
    BTW, just checked and the P-30 at Shadow Audio has gone! Hope it wasn't anyone here... :rolleyes: ;)

Liam.

liamjf, Nov 24, 2005
  9. liamjf

GaryG

Liam

I used the digital output with an Audio Synthesis Black Gate modified DAX Decade DAC.

Get a Wadia with digital inputs into the DAC section, you've then got a great system, which, when the upgrade bug kicks in again, has the potential for upgrades, no more buying and selling kit.

Book a demo with Tony and see what a Wadia and Bel Canto are capable of, it'll blow your mind!

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Nov 24, 2005
  10. liamjf

wolfgang

Just like a beautiful woman these Tag toys were expensive and high maintanence. That transport sync to the bp192 processor Dac have a certain magical quality. The music are some how just that bit sweeter. Whatever disc it plays I find myself transfixed and drawn to listen to the passages closer. The heart flows with adoration. Then it skip as I know maybe such beauty not only defies logic and understanding. My ears tell me the music is really sweeter and my eyes tell me everything it that much more beautiful on the screen. Is it all an illusion all in the mind. The sensible thing is to part now before it is too late but such is the hold I am suck deeper and I know for certain one day it will end painfully eventually. I guess that's what people refer to as a true bitter sweet relationship.

wolfgang, Nov 25, 2005
  11. liamjf

Petergc

I use analogue out from the Wadia (Balanced) as I believe (hope) that the Wadia Dac is superior to just about any other

Petergc, Nov 25, 2005
  12. liamjf

liamjf

Well my T-Drive is still not back from CPT (Though they have got the replacement part - thanks for that Tony) so I finally snapped and bought a TAG DVD32FLR to use as both cd and dvd transport into my TAG processor - Wolfgang will be pleased no doubt!
    Haven't had a chance to hear it at full throttle yet, nor try the Progressive Scan option but the picture looks great so far!
    Will report on a head to head of both transports once they are up and running (not double blind and entirely my own biased opinion ;) )
    Once they've sttled down I shall be on the lookout to test a few after market mains leads.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Liam.

liamjf, Feb 17, 2006
  13. liamjf

wolfgang

Err..... Just notice this. How are you getting on? Hope you still like the new toy.

According to owners feedback the FLR version have a better reliability record which should to be a good thing. My own top loading transport did need a new chip early in the year. AIG service department fitted this without difficulty and they have done up the mains supply too. I never had problem with Tag service department other then they did have a longer turnover time. Again people said they have improved a lot compare to the early months since change of owners.

wolfgang, Feb 19, 2006
Ask a Question