New CD Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultimatum7, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Ultimatum7

Ultimatum7

All,

This is my first topic. After a long and mostly enjoyable relationship, I have decided to downsize my system from active DBLs and simultaneously separate from Naim altogether. Going forward, I will be running a Basis table, Dynavector L300 and 2 x HX1.2 and Neat Ultimatum MF7s. I am currently using an Exposure 2010 CD player, which is quite good for the money, but I can no longer ingnore its shortcomings in a high resolution system. I have narrowed the field to the following: 47 Labs Flatfish/Progression; Resolution Audio Opus 21; MSB Platinum CD Station; and Audio Synthesis Dax Discrete/? Transport. I am posting this thread here, because Zerogain participants seem to have greater experience/expertise with digital playback than other forums.

What are your thoughts?

Ultimatum7, Apr 4, 2004
  2. Ultimatum7

Robbo

Welcome to the forum. I had some MF7s on home dem and for the most part they were very impressive, if a bit too big for my room.

IMO, you should add the Simaudio Eclipse to your list.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Apr 4, 2004
  3. Ultimatum7

ditton happy old soul

let me know if you get to hear the Audio Synthesis Dax Discrete.

I have the AS Dax Decade, with a modded AS Transcend.

and to repeat the welcome ...

ditton, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Ultimatum7

Ultimatum7

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll certainly check into the Moon. I find the Audio Synthesis very intriguing from a technological and bespoke perspective, but wonder how many SACD and DVD-A titles I'll purchase. I have several hundred red book CDs at the moment and do not see this format disappearing any time soon. Is the Audio Synthesis red book performance on par with the 47 Labs, etc.?

Ultimatum7, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Ultimatum7

ditton happy old soul

I confess that I have only recently crept into this hi-end, and did so for CD replay having a similar view on DVD-A and SACD. My humble Tosh dvdplayer would allow me to start a DVD-A collection but I've not found the music/content to justfy that.

As indicated, I haven't made the comparison with the 47 Labs.

Why not phone/email David Heaton (AS) direct, he seemed the type of person who would give you straight, well informed techhie talk.

I'm just happy that my music has never sounded better with each upgrade I make around my big splurge on the Dax Decade. I credit/blame a guy called GaryG for prompting me to make the quantum leap. I glean that you are already familar with this side of the galaxy.

ditton, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Ultimatum7

Ultimatum7

My biggest hesitation with the AS is that they do not currently offer a matching transport. Perhaps I should give them a call.

Ultimatum7, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Ultimatum7

ditton happy old soul

really? I understood that they do a mod on the Pioneer 757i for DVD-A. As indicated, I have the Transcend CD transport.

best of luck

ditton, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Ultimatum7

julian2002 Muper Soderator

Ultimatum7,
    i recently did a couple of weekends of cd player listening. you may want to have a listen to the c.e.c. tl-2 / dx71 transport / dac to my ears they sounded the best of all the cdp's i heard. also well worth a listen is the bow zz8 lovely looking player and from all accounts it sounds wonderful (if you can find one to listen to).
    there's also the oracle cd1500 which i was trying to get a listen to but have had to put on hold for the moment.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Ultimatum7

merlin

Mmm. The Resolution Opus is a damned fine CD spinner, but given your need for an analogue preamp, it would seem to lose one of it's main benefits.

Heard the MSB Platinum recently and was quite impressed, although it's a little rough around the edges and seems to lack low level resolution.

Never listened to an AS long enough to form a judgement I'm afraid, and never heard the 47Labs gear.

Given the rest of your system, I'd certainly stick an Accuphase in there, along with a Chord DAC64. In fact, the Dac 64 + Universal Player route would almost certainly be my current choice, I've been impressed with the Mk2 and find some of the negativity from some quarters totally unjustified.

merlin, Apr 5, 2004
  10. Ultimatum7

Simon s

Hi Ultimatum 7,

My first post here also. I used to run a Dynavector system similar to yours albeit
    using Shahinian speakers. I would also suggest the Densen Beat 400XS which I used to use. It grooved very nicely and seemed to have a very good synergy with the DV amps and also had a very natural sound to it. In the DV system I thought it sounded better than a CDS 2.

On the DAC front I would also suggest the Chord DAC 64 or the Musical fidelity Tri Vista DAC. Both sound very musical but do all the round earth stuff too. And thats coming from someone who does not normally rate MF.

Cheers

Simon

Simon s, Apr 5, 2004
  11. Ultimatum7

Ultimatum7

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Now I'm even more confused. I should probably first decide whether SACD or DVD-A are important to me. I only own redbook CDs and really do not plan to purchase any of the other formats.

How many of you purchase and listen to SACD or DVD-A?

Does the list of candidates remain the same if I only require redbook facilities?

Ultimatum7, Apr 5, 2004
  12. Ultimatum7

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I recently bought an Advantage S1, which is a grand beast. It's also got a pre-amp section and sounds almost as good as my Clearaudio!
    When I demmed it, I also listened to the top of the range Advantage, which has the most amazing remote if that's a reason for buying it (!), but also sounds absolutely brilliant especially as it does DVD and SACD.. CD performance was about the same as the S1 (which is pretty good indeed).

leonard smalls, Apr 5, 2004
  13. Ultimatum7

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well, I can't under stand you guys are fannying about, when you know the best digital source (period) is the Dac 64 with a dvd transport, hell I'm even getting one now :)

wadia-miester, Apr 6, 2004
Ask a Question