New cd player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zygote23, Jun 9, 2006.

1. zygote23

zygote23

Ok so now I'm here lets have the questions.

My kit is:-

Amp: Icon Audio 40i
    TT: Project xperience x-pac
    Phono stage: Project Phono stage MkII
    CD: Akai Reference Master cd93
    Speakers: Proac Studio 140
    Cable: Really old Gale Biwire stuff.
    Viper and QED interconnects.

I am thinking about a change of CD player at the end of the summer. The Akai is an amazing player and has stood me well for many years but feel now that it it a little ill matched with the rest of the kit. Rothwell attenuators on the way to calm it down a little. Any suggestions would be welcome although I am leaning towards a Shanling cdt100c or something similar.

I'll need some quality speaker cable soon and am thinking lfd zero gain biwire if anyone has a good priced source for it.

Buying Hifi Gear in N. Ireland can be a little painfull as we only have a few useful stores here :(

Any opinions welcome.

zygote23, Jun 9, 2006
  2. zygote23

lordsummit moderate mod

The Shanling has a good rep, you might want to look at this thread as well
    https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=12918

There's a company called Avondale who mod an Arcam A5, it sounds mad but Les turns them into something stunning. I run one of those and love it. I paid £400 for mine, and it came with nearly all of it's 4 year warranty left. They're stunning for the money. I've got one, and it's shown a few very expensive players the way to go....

Speaker cable, you want to speak to our resident expert Zanash, he'll cook you up a recipe.

lordsummit, Jun 9, 2006
  3. zygote23

taz

I can second zanash's cables they are truly superb and for the money very hard if not impossible to beat. i have a modded marantz cd5001 ose and would put it up against any sub £1000 cd player (again zanash's handywork) and i love it it sounds very smooth and warm without sacrificing any detail whats more the cost so far is less than £300 ! I don't think i will ever spend silly money on hifi again knowing what I know now.

taz, Jun 10, 2006
  4. zygote23

zygote23

Hmm just finished listening for the evening and noticed a bit of a hiss and crackle from the proacs whilst nowt was playing. ANy suggestions? Have I missed an earth connection or something?

zygote23, Jun 11, 2006
Ask a Question