New Centre Speaker

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mark67, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Mark67

Mark67

I have been looking at updating my centre speaker and was wondering if you had any suggestions, must not be more than 12cm in Height?

I have been looking closely at the Canton CD50, but haven't seen very many reviews on it.

Has anyone had any experiance with this product? Is it any good? Are Canton any good?

I did get to have a small taster of the Canton @ the bristol show, abiet rather brief, and I quite liked it.

Anyhow all thoughts welcome.

Mark67, Feb 27, 2004
  2. Mark67

merlin

B&W HTM surely.

merlin, Feb 27, 2004
  3. Mark67

Mark67

If only I had the room.

I am limited to 12cm.

Mark67, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Mark67

Matt F

If you are going to go outside the B&W range then it would be advisable to demo with yours to ensure a good match.

My suggestion would be to seek out an ex-dem or second hand M&K S85C - tiny little thing but great quality plus it has two wiring options for "normal" and "bright" which might help with matching to your mains.

Matt.

Matt F, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Mark67

Mark67

Ok folks had a move round of my HIFI and can fit on a slightly larger speaker.

So looking at the B&W LCR60 S3 or the Monitor Audio Bronze Centre.
    Any Thoughts?

Mark67, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Mark67

wolfgang

Mark,

I couldn't remember what were the main front speakers that you have. Would you consider having one model for all the speakers? Or at least from the same range. If you have the B&W N805 then get another single N805 or a HTM 2. Unfortunately, much taller then it looks.

For me the difficulty was getting all the channels especially the 3 front and back speakers to sound as one voice and pan around harmoniously. When the tonal quality are very different the enveloping effect is just lost. Eventually having all 4 channels using the same speakers. Even then when listening alone I just could not be conscious of being annoyed the single front channel speaker having a different character to the rest.

With music it is worst. So much so, that I just switch off the front for music. I believe this is one of the reasons a lot of people do not enjoy multi-channels music recording. It is a bit like having Maria Callas. She is very good as a soloist but she would be a total disaster if ask to blend in as just another member of the choir.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2004
    wolfgang, Feb 28, 2004
  7. Mark67

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mark,
    if you have the space and can find one try a cdm cnt. i've often though about running 2 of these as my main speakers they are that good!
    they are big buggers though.
    alternatively b&w have just brought out a range of speakers designed to match plasma screens - can;t remember the name of them but they are pretty flat and are designed to be hung on a wall. might be worth a listen.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 28, 2004
  8. Mark67

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Completely off-topic... but sue me! lol....

Anyway I saw a TV program on the great voices of opera. Maria Callas had a soaring delicate voice that I thought sounded fantastic.

Care to reccomend an LP of her best stuff, that I can look out for on Netsounds? (with decent sound quality if poss)

hope u can help.
    ta!

u can have your centre thingy thread back now! ;)

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2004
  9. Mark67

Mark67

Went and had a look/listen on Saturday, with Our Lass.
    We came home with a B&W LCR60 S3.
    It does seem to go better with the 805Sig's than the Mission did. Not that the Mission was bad. Time will tell, only had it 2 days.

Has anyone else got the B&W?
    Any Idea how long it takes to 'run in'.

BTW The Mission 75C Is For Sale - Mint condition £50.

Mark67, Mar 1, 2004
Ask a Question