New DAC bargain!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Aug 31, 2003.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

M-audio Superdac 24/96.

Available for £138 + VAT (from here )

This DAC features optical, coax and AES/EBU inputs, and RCA unbalanced and XLR balanced outputs. Power is from a 9V DC "wall wart" adaptor (so I'm sure that there's significant mileage for improvement there). Inputs are switchable via front panel button.

I've not heard one, but I have seen reports of these being very very very good indeed for the money, and competitive with some quite expensive hifi dacs. M-audio are a professional audio company, who's products include some serious soundcards (as well as the "consumer" Audiophile 24/96 card) as well as various other bits of kit.

Only problem with them as far as I can see is that the casework is rather small, so might be a squeeze to get some clock upgrades in. The external PSU should make PSU tweakery easy, however.

I-S, Aug 31, 2003
  2. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Issac old news dude, I have a fully 'Sorted version' with rca out and built in upsampler, not a bad piece of kit, but you got to give it a kick arse though. for the money a good place to start

wadia-miester, Aug 31, 2003
  3. I-S

Hodgesaargh

Doesnt have RCA outputs.

Hodgesaargh, Sep 1, 2003
  4. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

So it doesn't... still, not difficult to reterminate a cable with an XLR...

I-S, Sep 1, 2003
  5. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

No need even for that, just change the jack sockets forpanel mount RCA's cost about in Zanash range £5, plus about 1/2 hour of your time, I rehoused it in a seperate box with decent psu and the guts of a monarchy upsampler inthere as well, good as most £2k cdp's with ease. WM

wadia-miester, Sep 1, 2003
Ask a Question