new DAC - need pointers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oscar23, Feb 18, 2004.

1. oscar23

oscar23

hey.
    Just bought a new Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC (being shipped from Norway tomorrow...I'm bloody excited:D, though my g/f just thinks I'm nuts:rolleyes:-but what does she know! )
    Anyway this baby will be fed by a Sony-XB940 SACD player (for the time being ;)) and will output into an Electrocompaniet ECI-3 Amp. Now, the amp has balanced XLR inputs which I wasn't able to use previously with the Sony but now will be as the DAC has balanced outs - Is it worth getting XLR interconnects for the DAC and if so any recommendations? (the cheaper the better cos I've done my budget on the DAC ;))
    Also, is a good Nordost RCA interconnect alright for feeding the DAC from the Sony or does it have to be some type of "digital" version?
    cheers boys, really looking forward to going through my cd's afresh ;)...

Osc.

oscar23, Feb 18, 2004
  2. oscar23

merlin

Hi Osc,

The balanced isssue is open to debate in some quarters - it really depends on whether the Dac and Pre are trully balanced. If tey are then go for it, you won't regret it. The Vdh Integration is superb value for money, easily stacking up to some stupendously expensive references. Otherwise try some good mic cables.

You will need a good digital cable.

merlin, Feb 18, 2004
  3. oscar23

Wes

This is pretty off topic, anyway...

I've been reading up on the ECD-1 a little.. Why are people saying this is a good dac to pair with a SACD player? I was under the impression that the digital out connections cut off on players that support SACD when a SACD disk is played.. Is this not true? How can this dac, which supports only a 192KHz sample rate be used to play a SACD that has a sample rate of 2.8MHz?

Wes, Feb 18, 2004
  4. oscar23

sane4sure

VDH Integration (£40 bargain on ebay) doing the business for me CD to Pre.

But....

VDH C5 The Bay (£25 new) not too far behind on pre to power amps and tuner to pre.

sane4sure, Feb 18, 2004
  5. oscar23

oscar23

Erm, I guess people mean that the DAC will give you sweet playback of normal "redbook" CDs - simply using the SACD player as the transport... and that you'll use the SACD player for whatever SACDs you have. That's why I'm getting it anyway; I've got over 500 cds and only about 20 SACD's so I want to improve the sound quality of the normal ones which is really shown up by trying to follow an SACD - which is exactly where the ECD-1 comes in :cool:.

Thanks for the advice on the interconnects: Yes, the Amp and DAC are fully balanced so I'll look for some XLR's. And I really didn't know I'd need a dedicated "Digital" RCA interconnect so I'll have to go a biddin on eBay ;).
    cheers,
    Osc.

oscar23, Feb 19, 2004
Ask a Question