New forum ethos - what exactly is it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by YNMOAN, Dec 4, 2010.

1. YNMOAN

nando nando

it's just like newspapers, one reads his favourite and the other theirs, sometimes they peep onto the other and try to digest different views , witch entails a both party discussion about a theme, linn and naim are a fine example of disagreement between both parting company as most of others, i think is avarice among them all.

nando, Dec 4, 2010
  2. YNMOAN

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Well yes, it probably does tie the moderators in - I doubt it makes much difference to anyone else though.

Indeed.........just as well ;)

YNMOAN, Dec 4, 2010
  3. YNMOAN

nando nando

are you sure???????????????/:JOEL:

nando, Dec 4, 2010
  4. YNMOAN

Labarum

One audio forum has that agenda!

:D

Labarum, Dec 4, 2010
  5. YNMOAN

nando nando

witch one brian? don't mention names or me being a leo i can be heard 5 miles away when i roar, and i could tell you about a certain forum, but as a gentleman i will roar in the jungle, have you not got a more diverse doctrine?

nando, Dec 4, 2010
  6. YNMOAN

ditton happy old soul

as a one time poster and now an occasional lurker, just to say Hi.

when I first came across ZG it was an early stage in my re-interest in hifi, having engaged in forums for AV purposes (AVf and AVTalk). I gained a lot from many here, and then tired of some obj/subj wars and a few obsessives.

having settled on a system, had a daliance with the Wammers, and listened to a lot of music, I'm now getting back the itch.

So I return and am sad to find the the navel gazing.

Hope it goes well

ditton, Dec 4, 2010
  7. YNMOAN

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

What would you prefer to be reading about ditton? Whatever 'it' is, why not start a thread and I'm sure others will respond.

YNMOAN, Dec 4, 2010
  8. YNMOAN

nando nando

ditton, what ever road you wish to take, remember one thing or two, your views as are important to us as anybody else's, there is a saying "you were not born to live up my expectations neither were i was to born to yours" say what you feel about your preferences are towards your thoughts on hi-fi or other themes, do not go, other ways the infiltrators will win.

nando, Dec 4, 2010
  9. YNMOAN

ditton happy old soul

thanks both.

I've started a thread.

ditton, Dec 4, 2010
  10. YNMOAN

nando nando

Good On You.

nando, Dec 4, 2010
  11. YNMOAN

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I'm surprised that you of all people have to ask why you need to do market research Rob. It's so your own bias and 3rd rate hunches don't queer the questions and responses that you need to get from the people who will become your more active forum members once the implementation of the new ZG begins.

Sadly it's typical of your own 'closed shop' viewpoint that you don't see this as a pre-requisite to improving the state of the place. Sadly asking Dev doesn't cut the mustard in terms of objective reasearch into the desires of the 'customer' base.

What you propose sounds largely like the Rob Holt forum based on what you see as your ability to offer a USP, rather than engaging in a meaningful discussion of what ZG should and could be. Maybe i missed the consultation process.

sq225917, Dec 4, 2010
  12. YNMOAN

RobHolt Moderator

LOL - you really have got the arse - despite the hollow denials.

Yup - we've been there ages ago. Selective memory as well as selective reading appears to be an issue.

RobHolt, Dec 4, 2010
  13. YNMOAN

RobHolt Moderator

Ignoring Mr Negative, some good points, and welcome back to ditton :)

RobHolt, Dec 4, 2010
  14. YNMOAN

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Like I said Rob, if it happened I must have missed it.

sq225917, Dec 5, 2010
  15. YNMOAN

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I find it most amusing that on a thread that appears to be a discussion / consultation process as to ZG's future direction we have someone whinging that such a thing doesn't exist.

Tony.

PS The future of any forum is it's content. Why not go and start an interesting thread in the direction you'd like to see? From what I can tell from the sidelines ZG is anything but a 'closed shop', it's just that Rob is one of the few actually taking the initiative and starting constructive thought-provoking threads. There looks to be plenty of room for others to do the same should they rise to the challenge.

TonyL, Dec 5, 2010
  16. YNMOAN

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

It's all a bit academic in the end as the flavour of a forum is largely dictated by those that post and what it is that they post (of course, people do have to post for that to be the case).

Edit: I see that Tony has just posted a very similar sentiment.

The problem I have is that I am, essentially, happy with the performance of my hi-fi, so I'm not really that interested in upgrading it. In addition, I'm not that interested in the opinions of the greater posting community as to the relative sonic merit of components I may be considering.

Although I do experiment quite a bit with my hi-fi, this is sometimes with a commercial angle and not really for general forum consumption - other ideas I just don't want to be in the public domain.

I have to say, it's quite demoralising to spend some time on the construction of a review, or comparative test, and have three responses - one may as well have just PM'ed those people directly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
    YNMOAN, Dec 5, 2010
  17. YNMOAN

theo

Exactly where I am. Over the past year, my systems have been settled, I'm happy with them, I've bought lots more music, and I've not spent much time on the various audio forums (I do spend time in the music rooms though).

This is no reflection on anybody on this site, but it currently doesn't have the sheer variety of topics/views/personalities of other forums (especially pfm). Not sure how you can build up that traffic unless you have a level of "controversial" conversation that builds up momentum. And that doesn't always work either. I watched some of the "noise" on here in that car crash manner, but in truth, it didn't add anything positive.

theo, Dec 5, 2010
  18. YNMOAN

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Hmm... you know, I've always struggled with the 'Music Room' section of forums. I'm just not interested in what peoples top 5 prog albums are or what other people are listening to 'now'. Mind you, it makes much more sense than the 'Pub car-park' sections which seem to entirely revolve around the poorly informed spouting bollocks, on random subjects, at each other. I suppose it's a good place for the industry reps to hide out and keep their post count up though.

YNMOAN, Dec 5, 2010
  19. YNMOAN

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Oh, this is 'A' consultation process, i didn't realise.

Oh well, in that case.

Have separate subjective and objective areas to stop each group boring/driving away the others.

Have a decent music review section with some sort of interface that allows for a chart style ranking based on votes of members, maybe a drop box for samples of same. Most record labels will give you agreement on a waiver for this purpose if you provide the waiver and include a most 'favoured nation' clause.

Allow people to pay for the site and gain benefits from doing so, hosting space for pictures for example, larger message box etc.

Host tech docs and manuals for popular products and also for basic electronics engineering skills, soldering videos, resistors calculators, filter calculations, handy little applets that sort of thing.

Have a tech section where there's a weekly/monthly discussion topic where people can go out and do a little research before they enter the discussion.

Send out formal invites to respected designers to engage with the members, give them an area where they can discuss their products and or ideology. Pitch them that in the run up we'll create them a 'product history', an online chronology with products listed and pictured, something they can take value from they'll be more likely to take part. Once you've done one layout its a piece of piss to re-use, just have a document template for the data you need and any monkey can do it.

And sort out a 'pay for' trade area if you intend to be taken seriously, no one values anything they get for free. Match the cost to the benefits. Most good forums are run as business's if you want to be able to spend the time on content, or incentivise people to produce the good stuff for ZG then this is the only way it'll happen. Maybe use the dealer ad revenue to create a ZG credit for regular quality contributors that they can spend at selected dealers.

I guess it depends on how much time and effort you wish to invest.

sq225917, Dec 5, 2010
  20. YNMOAN

ditton happy old soul

interesting suggestions

ditton, Dec 5, 2010
Ask a Question