New fuzzy logic washing machine - It is a piece of crap what are our rights?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jun 28, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Basicaly it seems to be running Windows ME, i.e it has a mind of its own and crashes a lot.

Last night the door would not open even though the programme had finished (i.e the solinoid didn't have any power sent to it), today the washing machine just keeps spinning at gets stuck at certain random cycles.

The whole thing is microprocessor driven so Iam guessing its faulty firmware, I can't see an engineer being able to fix this unless they can replace the actual firmware.

Can we ask for our money back? Its 1 day old.

I know normaly we are entitled to our money back but as it was delivered how does it work?

amazingtrade, Jun 28, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Hey if its not fit for the purpose intended...

Tenson, Jun 29, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

modern washing machines lock the door for 5 minutes or so after the cycle has ended - it's yet another bit of nannying (you might burn yourself taking out warm damp clothes - puhleeeaze) that raises your stress levels and ultimately keeps the neocon chimps bush and blair in power. i blame thatcher.

julian2002, Jun 29, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Washing machines have run on firmware for a long time.
    The EEprom is easily reprogrammed or replaced, just get them to send an engineer.

penance, Jun 29, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I think the law stands that you have to give them reasonable chances to put the problem right. If they can't, after some of their efforts you can "lose faith" in the product and at that point ask for money back. Before that point, you have to let them try to put the problem right.

SteveC, Jun 29, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

For me that was 3 months, of which it spent 1 month out of operation. The final fault (over which I rejected it) was a hose clip was missing/loose, and the hose had dropped behind the drum and rubbed through, dripping water onto the motor. :eek:

They didn't want to give me my money back, but I gave them no choice. A couple of juicy pointers...

"We can't refund you unless the manufacturer writes it off" - Wrong. You are dealing with the retailer and only the retailer. It is the retailer's responsibility solely.

Rejecting under the sale of goods act. Retailers hate these words, but don't hear them often. If you suffer several faults with the machine within the first few months, each one requiring an engineer's (Ha. They're mechanics, not engineers) visit then you have good grounds for doing this. Make clear to the retailer if you do this that this is what you are doing and that you will accept nothing other than a FULL refund.

The way to proceed from here is to have them come out and fix it, and hopefully that will set you on your way.

I-S, Jun 29, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

if you're convinced there is a fault (dead-sure) the time to act is NOW.

Most places have a 14 day no quibble return period.

Call the shop and ask them.

If you wait a couple of weeks you shoot yourself in the foot

bottleneck, Jun 29, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

johnhunt recidivist

We buy white goods from a local retailer who does seconds. normally small dent in the side . any problems and it's a short walk up the road to talk to him. so no call centres or other corperte bs.

on the other hand i know that sinking feeling when things go wrong and hoops you have to jump through to get things fixed. it's a complete ball ache

my advice , for what it's worth , is to get them to send an engineer. let him fix it then make him hang around while you run the machine to make sure you are comfy that it works.

johnhunt, Jun 29, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I'm sure that once you've given them the opportunity to repair it your chances of subsequently rejecting it are severely limited. Ifit is faulty reject it now.

Bob McC, Jun 29, 2006
  10. amazingtrade

avanzato

Reject the Machine now and ask for a replacement, the longer you wait the harder it will be.
    I'd also go for an alternative model as experience has taught me not to persevere with something that has been a duffer once. Electrical goods only get one chance with me now.

avanzato, Jun 29, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Well it was from Argos and it says its excluded from the 16 day refund thing, but then I know if its faulty they have to offer a refund by law within the first 30 days or somthing don't they?

I am pretty convinced it is a firmware fault because all the hardware seems to be working. The only reason we got this washing machine was because of the micrprocessor, the old analgoue timer packed up on the old one and it would have cost a fortune to replace plus the fact the bearing was starting to go it wasn't worth repairing.

amazingtrade, Jun 29, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

'If' it is firmware it should be quick and easy for them to sort, it could also be a sensor etc..

penance, Jun 29, 2006
  13. amazingtrade

avanzato

avanzato, Jun 29, 2006
  14. amazingtrade

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

GTM, Jun 29, 2006
  15. amazingtrade

rodrat

The 16 day refund is total bollocks. It has no bearing on consumer law and is merely their invention. If the goods are faulty, you have the right to ask for a replacement, your money back or accept a repair. It is up to you to choose which not them. Inform them in writing that you are rejecting the goods on the basis they are faulty and therefore not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality.. They have to prove they are not.

Rod

rodrat, Jun 30, 2006
  16. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Then how come this from the first web link above

You must be able to prove that the fault was present when the goods were sold. The burden of proof is on the consumer.

Bob McC, Jun 30, 2006
Ask a Question