New LV Horn

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Purite Audio, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Purite Audio

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Purite Audio, Aug 11, 2009
  2. Purite Audio

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

interesting looking speakers. I expect them to sound good.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 11, 2009
  3. Purite Audio

Yes drivers might be 703, 2002, perhaps the new S2 production Vitavox!

Purite Audio, Aug 11, 2009
  4. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

A specially-modified version of the S2.

Papa Lazarou, Aug 11, 2009
  5. Purite Audio

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

that is fascinating :)

I would hazard - Tad et703, then... well, the end of that brass horn looks to be 1" at a guess, so I'd say a 1" compression driver - the 2002 seems a good guess.

Then an S2, then presumably a 15" of some sort or a 12" in the 'thunderbolt esque' cab

http://website.lineone.net/~empson/thunderbolt cutaway tidy small.jpg

On a previous conversation with Kevin, he'd mentioned using two tweeters above the S2. From what I've read and seen the S2 doesn't extend that high so certainly needs a tweeter.. Two... well that's somethin else, and one with a pinnochio style brass horn, certainly makes for a talking point !

When I heard the earlier prototype (shown in the link) with the Lab Subs to the sides, the sound was incredible, truly awesome.

On it's own though (without the lab subs) I couldn't have personally lived with the lack of bass extension (in that room/with that system).

It will be interesting to see what low bass cabinet is employed to go with this new statement product - perhaps a W bin like the earlier LV horn speakers, or a folded horn like the Lab sub?

We will have to wait and see.

Kudos to Kevin though..... he stands apart, and if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery my own horn system pays quite some homage to my visits to Living Voice.

bottleneck, Aug 11, 2009
  6. Purite Audio

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

anyone heard these yet?

One of the potentially most exciting new (commercial) speakers for years and only 4 posts... I'm dying here !

I may have to invite myself up there....

all in the interests of journalism :D

bottleneck, Aug 17, 2009
  7. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

And I wonder what do you recognize as ?potentially most exciting ? for years? in the new Living Voice? Are any sensible exciting attributes that you might identify without diving into your typical ?hype mode??

The caT
    ________
    Magic Flight

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    Romy The Cat, Aug 18, 2009
  8. Purite Audio

Some might find the new 'Pinocchio' multi use horn exciting.

Purite Audio, Aug 18, 2009
  9. Purite Audio

Mr_Sukebe

They're only exciting until you get an idea of probably cost. Think Ferrari level (and I'm not talking s/h 308GTB).

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 18, 2009
  10. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

Cost has absolutely nothing to do with the excitement. The guy above who trumpeted the LV as the ?exciting new (commercial) speakers for years? did not imply cost but he apparently recognized some attributes that made him to feel so, therefore I asked what it was it his view. The fact that LV might be expensive I think is absolutely irrelevant. Well, the most expensive it will be the more presumed deliverability is expected. I do not know how much Ferrari cost but if the cost of the new LV is over $100K then the LV might run into a problem that it will be out of topology boundaries. Not a lot of people understand this concept it audio, so the LV might get away with it.
    Anyhow, I think the Cessaro Gamma were the most exciting new (commercial) speakers for years. Not without problems but topologically I feel more justifiably exciting then what LV offers. Still, I heard none of them, so take my comment for whatever it costs?

Rgs, the Cat
    ________
    Ford Pampa

11. Purite Audio

cooky1257

..but they'd be lying:D

cooky1257, Aug 18, 2009
  12. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

Yep I spent a whole day with them a couple of weeks ago.
    The earlier prototypes were bloody amazing, but these are just perfect in every way sonically. Easily the finest speakers i've ever heard. TBH i've never heard anything else that gets within a country mile.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
    Papa Lazarou, Aug 18, 2009
  13. Purite Audio

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Phil,

How much are they?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 18, 2009
  14. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

PM sent.

15. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

In my view a level a of expert assessment might be determined not by the stressing that it was ?amazing? and reporting that something was ? just perfect in every way sonically? but by indication of a LEVEL of critical comments. I think if you feel that a loudspeaker was "perfect in every way sonically" then it says nothing about the loudspeaker but it says a lot about your assessment reference points.

Rgs, Romy
    ________
    California Dispensaries

16. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

Perhaps one day you'll hear them and be able to make up your own mind?
    I can imagine you'll have heard a lot of the competition in this price range. I was very taken with the superb integration of the drivers in particular, quite seemless to my ears.
    The cabinets are quite exquisitely built and finished, which is to be expected really. I know that Kevin has spent the best part of six years on this project. It shows when you see and hear them.

17. Purite Audio

Mr_Sukebe

I think you've missed where I was coming from.
    I'm sure they're completely awesome speakers, and wouldn't be surprised if they're as close to audio nirvana as is possible. For one thing, I really love LV speakers, and have a lot of respect for their designs.
    However, something that is absolutely mega bucks is about as exciting for me as the idea of one day thinking that I'll be buying a Lambo Murcialago.
    There's aspirational, and beyond that level, and I'm sorry, but as I understand it, these are on the wrong side of that financial barrier.

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 18, 2009
  18. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

Actually the price range, integration of drivers in THIS design and exquisite finished are something that would be absolutely out of my attention. It is even funs that you mention it. It is what I told: the level of reference points.
    Your love idea what you find in LV design that give to you a lot of respect and why you feel that they might be ?as close to audio nirvana as is possible?? In anything specific that turns you on in them or you just feel a general crony tendency?
    And you have the wet dream about Murcialago because you just would like to have wet dreams of because you are a advanced driver and would like to have a car that match you driving techniques?

The Cat
    ________
    Mazda 626 Specifications

19. Purite Audio

Has it been established whether the speakers use the 'new' S2 production? ( that might be interesting)

Purite Audio, Aug 19, 2009
  20. Purite Audio

Mr_Sukebe

My, we are feeling positive today.

I've heard LV speakers of different sizes a number of times, and without fail, they've impressed me virtually every time. Infact it was hearing a pair of LVs that indirectly resulted in my buying the horn loaded speakers I now own.
    So the specifics are based upon my listening preferences.

You should know better than comment on AIM techniques. I did think that they extended to all normal cars?

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 19, 2009
Ask a Question