New LV Horn

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Purite Audio, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

Well Kevin told me they did, albeit with some modifications he'd specified.

Papa Lazarou, Aug 19, 2009
  2. Purite Audio

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Papa L - did he mention why the long thin bronze horn on the 2nd tweeter, or what tweeter it was? (we are speculating TAD)

Hi Romy -
    I know of your experience and speaker developments for your own speakers. Some of the things that make LV horn speakers sound especially good are -
    1) His demo room is a huge converted victorian mill. For bass, last time I was there he had 2 12 feet folded horns to accompany the prototypes (I think you'd seen the prototype picture - and even have my photo on your site :D )
    2) Cost is no option for him. He owns Definitive Audio, a high end hifi store. If he chooses to put together a six way horn system and use 12 Kondo monoblocks worth in excess of £150,000 then he will do so, just for fun.

As I mentioned, on there own I found the bass from the high efficiency drive units in the prototypes to be insufficient. It blended beautifully with the folded bass horns though - and the combination together is the best sound I have ever heard in hifi.. and I have heard a lot of self entitled ''statement'' speakers.

Lastly, I do agree that Cessaro speakers are exciting too. I am still waiting for an invite from Keith :D..

bottleneck, Aug 19, 2009
  3. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

Well, I am glad that you all are feeling positive today but I have to admit that it did not make your treatment of the LV subject sane or even rational - this level is truly sub-adequate in my view. You might express unhappiness when you see an idiot-reviewer provide superficial or even stupid observation in print but at the same time you are apparently able to offer nothing more yourself. It reminds me the comedy ?The Airplane? when a person is asked about the type of the aircraft it was and he replied that ?... it is a big gray plane??

The caT
    ________
    Ferrari f40 specifications

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    Romy The Cat, Aug 19, 2009
  4. Purite Audio

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Chris Hi, I believe the 'second' tweeter is a 2002, I can't imagine why he would use such a narrow pipe unless he really wanted to boost the spl's? The 2002 is best I believe between 2 and 10khz, be interesting to know the crossover freq's. Keith.

Purite Audio, Aug 19, 2009
  5. Purite Audio

Mr_Sukebe

Did you get out the wrong side of the bed today, or has someone stolen your dog?

With all due respect, I do believe that I'm allowed to have a personal opinion on pretty much anything I like, and furthermore am allowed to express some of that, including my sentiments on liking certain types of speakers that I've heard.
    Beyond that, I'm really unsure of what you're getting at. Are you suggesting that I must justify a very high level opinion with 20 page indepth review? If you are, then I think you might be in the wrong forum.

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 19, 2009
  6. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

I certainly do not question your rights to have an opinion and rights to express it. But I also anticipate that you would not question my right to express my opinion about your opinion. My neighbor has a pet frog and the frog has her opinion about the validity of Mars exploration program? BTW, I was to taking about you as you did not express any opinion about the LV but only commented about a probably high price ? the subject that I did not found imperative.
    Do not worry, the in-depth review will never come and the forum is fine - as any other forums where people satisfied with misunderstood picture, murky or faulty information, a few stupid comments of ?enthusiastic? people and avoidable references to Lamborghini?

The caT
    ________
    Yamaha Rx-135

7. Purite Audio

Mr_Sukebe

Whilst you might well have the funds to not care about the price of an item, I'm guessing that I'm not alone by most definitely having finite funds available for kit.
    Regarding the potential price, go have a look at a similar thread on Wigwam, which I believe aludes to potential price areas.

So back to the speakers, they look lovely, probably sound simply awesome, but are likely to be in the price region of "extremely well heeled". Does that seem more appropriate?

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 19, 2009
  8. Purite Audio

Romy The Cat

I do not care about the price of them not because I have ?infinite amount of funds? but because I do not care about the LV as a product. I do not buy it and I do not sell it, so what is difference to me if LV cost $2K or $20Kor $200K? I was wondering about the a set of design decisions that were made around the LV and the way how those design decisions manifest themselves in sonic consequences. Both of the subjects are not cover at this forum, which is fine?. The question how much the LV costs is strictly a personal matter of Kevin and how much money he willing to get for his product. Why this subject shall interest me. I do not do refinancing of his house, I am with my ?forgotten? sonic interests is in a different business?

The Cat
    ________
    Herbalaire Review

9. Purite Audio

Romy ,are there aspects of the design that you are theoretically unhappy with?

Purite Audio, Aug 19, 2009
  10. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

Romy - I haven't the technical knowledge to answer your questions, although I can understand there are compromises in the design of these speakers. Of course a straight horn arrangement would've been easier and likely better. Kevin will no doubt be happy to answer any questions you may have as to why he took this approach. All I can say on the matter is that these are the finest speakers i've heard to date and they are beautifully finished.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
    Papa Lazarou, Aug 19, 2009
  11. Purite Audio

when a horn is thought of purely as a wave guide to control dispersion (ignoring other factors) - I am somewhat perplexed why a horn which would have such a very small 'sweet spot' would be deliberately made for tweeter 2.

The midrange has a more standard (looks like 90x40 dispersion), and what appears to be a TAD et703 seems to have it's factory fitted wave guide.

Why be soo directional at what is probably a very limited frequency range? This is a more interesting question than... 'why 2 tweeters instead of 1' - to me anyway...

Now, I could imagine wanting to do such a thing to perhaps alter some in-room inbalance, but on a commercial design that could be used in any location ?

If anyone knows, please do fess up !

bottleneck, Aug 20, 2009
  12. Purite Audio

Chris Hi Ralph uses two 'tweeters' in the Gamma's but the 2001 ( I believe ) is used more as an upper mid range driver, it would be interesting to know the crossover points, Keith.

Purite Audio, Aug 20, 2009
  13. Purite Audio

lbr monkey boy

The long bronze horn looks funky. Can't think of why any other justification for its existence is required :)

lbr, Aug 20, 2009
  14. Purite Audio

Papa Lazarou

It's actually gunmetal aka Red Bronze.

Papa Lazarou, Aug 20, 2009
  15. Purite Audio

:D

If you put a large cuban cigar in the end, I wonder if the air pushed by the compression driver would be enough to smoke it?

bottleneck, Aug 20, 2009
Ask a Question