New MF AMP.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hsam, Oct 3, 2007.

1. hsam

hsam

Hi guys!

Anyone know the KW750 amp.Im worried about the amount off power it will use.Is it to powerfull?
    I use to have the KW500 wich was okay.

Regards

Ps I will not leave the amp on 24-7

Any?

hsam, Oct 3, 2007
  2. hsam

JohnT

Hi hsam,

I bought one of those plug-in power meter gizmos from Maplin (only £15 when on special offer). I found my AVI Lab Series (175W/ch) takes 20W when idling, and 24W AVERAGE when listening at my usual medium level (87db/W speakers).

Based on that, I was going to estimate that a KW750 would take around 80-100W at idle, but I checked the spec on the MF website and it says 290W idle! Add to that only another 4-6W AVERAGE when listening at a medium level with averagely sensitive speakers.

The additional AVERAGE listening power may seem surprisingly small, but remember that most (uncompressed) music signals have a low average level with a high 'crest factor', i.e. the peaks can be 10-15x the average level.

Would it be too powerful? Only if you tend to listen near the maximum rated power of your speakers and therefore risk frying them.

Otherwise it just boils down to whether it sounds better than any alternatives you're considering.

HTH

John

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
    JohnT, Oct 4, 2007
  3. hsam

Gregm

That's not bad for a powerful amp.
    By comparison, mine is +1kW; as things stand financially, on 24/7 is out of the question -- hi end or not :(

Gregm, Oct 4, 2007
  4. hsam

kmac

Is that an electric fire that doubles up as an amp:D

kmac, Oct 4, 2007
  5. hsam

nando nando

you dot have to leave the kw750 ON,and that is fact,it takes aprox. 20 mins from ON to perform,
    nando.

nando, Oct 4, 2007
Ask a Question