New music website I am setting up - Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Apr 24, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

After many weeks of thinking about my future I have decided to setup a website where local bands can advertise their gigs for free and people can discuss bands/music etc.

My main question is do you think there would be demand for a site like this with regards to the manc music scene?

amazingtrade, Apr 24, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Apr 24, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

I can beat the BBC and The Evening News simply because my site will be indepent and offer a much more personal presence.

Howver that Manchester Music one is rather worrying. It would be very hard to beat, a forum alone with a few interview/review pages probably won't be enough.

I guess I am 6 years too late. Having said that I know exactly how to get sites indexed in google etc so it might work. It depends if the other sites charge for their reviews/gig listings or not. The BBC probably can't but I bet its very hard to get coverage.

If Zerogain can beat HFC then I am sure I can have a go.

amazingtrade, Apr 24, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Most bands, events and small labels already put their own sites up (some local examples: www.flamingo50.co.uk www.innercitysumo.co.uk www.spankrecords.com), and many have their own forums, the thing I think is missing is any coherent front end to what is already available. Kind of a hub linking all these seemingly random yet wonderful little sites together. Bands want to be heard and signed, events want punters and record labels want bands and sales, so if someone was able to organise the chaos I suspect all would be happy.

Tony.

TonyL, Apr 24, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

I heard something on the radio about Manchestermusic.co.uk. They get about 1,000,000 hits a week. You'll have to go some to outdo that AT:D

lordsummit, Apr 25, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

hehe welll even I get 100th of that traffic I will be very pleased!

amazingtrade, Apr 25, 2004
Ask a Question