new Nad c350

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Feb 27, 2004.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Hi Folks, just bought a new NAD c350 - got it setup last night (after a few doobies!) - and it instantly brought a smile to my face...:D

just a very quick query tho...I had previously bi-wired my speakers to my AV amp, and as you'll know (perhaps?) there is only a single set of speaker connections to my NAD...I assume it's safe to have 2 sets of cables going onto a single binding, even tho it's be a tight fit..???

cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2004
    mr cat, Feb 27, 2004
  2. mr cat

also, if I want to plug my Sub into it, what connection should I plug it into as I'm only using a single phone cable..?

mr cat, Feb 27, 2004
  3. mr cat

Bumboy

If I were you I would listen to single-wired and bi-wired. I have found that bi-wiring leads to a very smeared presentation. Biwiring is totally unnecessary and in fact lacks logic when you consider the whole audio path IMO. And I do have good ears.

Bumboy, Feb 27, 2004
  4. mr cat

michaelab desafinado

Two sets of cables into single speaker binding posts on the amp is fine. Like Gary though I think bi-wiring is a load of bollox but whatever you're happy with :)

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 27, 2004
  5. mr cat

cheers!
    another one now... - does anyone know how to connect my nad to my yammy AV amp..?
    so that I've got my nad driving my main speakers..?

ta in advance...

mr cat, Feb 28, 2004
  6. mr cat

michaelab desafinado

First off, your Yammy AV amp will need to have pre-outs, at least for the front channels. If it doesn't then it's not possible, simple as that. The reason I got my Marantz SR4200 was because it was one of the very few budget AV amps with pre-outs ;)

If you do have pre-outs then hook them up to a spare input on your C350. I'm assuming the C350 doesn't have an AV bypass mode (where a particular input is configured to have unity gain and be unaffected by the volume control).

What you'll need to do is find a volume setting on the C350 which is roughly correct and then fine tune using the individual channel level configuration on the Yammy. Volume at about 12 o'clock works for most amps (which is probably way higher than you'd ever use for music so take care!). You're trying to use the C350 effectively as a power amp so for watching DVDs you'll always need to set the volume at whatever level you found worked.

After that, the volume control on your AV amp will do everything. What can be a real pain in the arse if you don't have an AV bypass mode on your stereo amp is if your stereo amp and your AV amp respond to the same remote volume commands because you want the stereo volume control to stay fixed whilst your watching DVDs and only the AV amp control to change. The only way around it (as I discovered when I had that problem :mad: ) is to cover up the IR remote receiver on your stereo amp for watching DVDs.

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 28, 2004
  7. mr cat

yeah, thanks a lot for your response! - I've managed to get it working now...tho, I'm not sure if it has the desired effect! just doesn't seem to tie together that well...I guess some more tweaking will need to be done!

will also investigate a switch box for the speakers too!

mr cat, Feb 29, 2004
Ask a Question