New proposed system (help please)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gregf, Apr 1, 2005.

1. gregf

gregf

Hi guys,

My first post here so I better introduce myself first of all. I originate from Greece but I have been living in the UK for the last 20 years, 15 in Sussex. I work for an electronics automatic test equipment manufacturer for the last 17 years and I lead the design and development team consisting of 12 electronic and software design engineers. Interests include music (of course), hifi, AV, PCs and anything to do with technology.

Although I have just registered today, I have been following this forum and its previous version for almost two years.

Music tastes: 85% heavy rock - heavy metal, 10% opera!!! and 5% blues.

My current system consists of Arcam alpha7 CD - Arcam alpha 8 integrated (yak) and a pair of 20 years old B&W DM7 speakers.

I have been thinking about upgrading the whole system for a while and here is my currently proposed system to be bought (everything second hand):
    CD transport(?) and/or PC sound card(?) into DAX Decade into a bridged Bel Canto Evo4/200.4 driving Vienna Acoustics Mahlers.

Given my music tastes, what do you think about the synergy of the proposed system? It will be allmost impossible to audition the whole system since it will be bought second hand and not from one place. What about the transport? Will an integrated CD player be better? Any other suggestions for the front-end and the speakers (please)? Max budget £6,000 for the lot.

My room is 25" x 12" x 8" with not so good acoustics.

On another note has anyone tried the Xindak speaker cables and ICs?

Thanks,

GregF.

gregf, Apr 1, 2005
  2. gregf

Tenson Moderator

Welcome!

I have not heard the Vienna's but from what I am told they have a slightly tricky bass. That coupled with the not so great room acoustics may make them not such a good choice. I think they are also aimed much more at classical music than heavy rock.. hence the name!

I would say spend a decent amount of money sorting out the room acoustics. They other bits look good, but consider different speakers. I would take a look at PMC (the pro range not commercial, but both are good) and ATC for a start, they are great for rock IMO.

Why not visit the Hi-Fi show at Heathrow this weekend and take a listen to things?

Tenson, Apr 1, 2005
  3. gregf

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I've heard Vienna Acoustic Mahler's and they are great.

Forget the classical connotations of the brand name, it means nothing. They are great floorstanders.

The Belcanto is a powerhouse, if you're looking for a clean sounding amp with bags of power, you should be happy. Another good choice IMO.

You're left with about 2k by my reckoning..

I'd definately go for an integrated CDP.

A second hand wadia 850 fed straight into the power amp (using the cdp's volume control) would be hard to criticize.

A quad 99 is a cheaper choice at about 1k new. If you blow budgets elsewhere its an option.

There are so many choices, but I think you will be happy with the above 2 as a starting point.

I wouldnt go the computer DAC route unless you intend to store all of your music on a PC. If you're not doing that, AND you have a decent budget, I dont see the point.

If you have to get basic copper speaker cable and interconnects to get the components you really want, IMO that will save you future upgrades. You can then audition flashier cables at your leisure.

bottleneck, Apr 1, 2005
  4. gregf

oh!

and welcome to the forum.!

bottleneck, Apr 1, 2005
  5. gregf

gregf

Thank you for the welcome and advice and quick response bottleneck.

I will definately go straight into the Bel Canto from the CDP/DAC.

You may be right about the integrated CDP option. I have been looking at Audiogon for second hand Wadias but what scares me about a second hand integrated CDP is the condition of the mechanism and the laser assembly. I was thinking if I get the audiosynthesis DAX Decade (with integrated volume control) and a transport the risk will be minimised.

gregf, Apr 1, 2005
  6. gregf

cab586

if you're interested in a superb b/c amp, find WM's listing in the private sales section. if you're interested in a wadia, i've got one for sale. right, ad over. btw, also try meadowlark speakers

cab586, Apr 1, 2005
  7. gregf

Joolsburger

I think based on your musical tastes that I would second the PMC/ATC route. For 6k perhaps a naim cd player of some sort, passive preamp and active speakers would be an elegant, room tolerant and simple solution.
    I have not heard rock played better than through a naim cd and the PMC/ATC speakers offer massive dynamics, bite and drive.

Joolsburger, Apr 1, 2005
  8. gregf

gregf

Tenson,

thanks for the welcome. I have been going to the September hifi show for the 5 years. Unfortunately the rooms are too small, full, play the wrong music for me and the noise from the other rooms!

At the last September show I did like the Tact room but a bit too clinical. The aavril room had the Belcanto integrated driven by their player into some Ausio Physics speakers and sounded better. I ask them to play some Metallica CD and that cleared the room!

gregf, Apr 1, 2005
  9. gregf

Anex Thermionic

Go there and ask them to play something you like instead of pansy stuff which doesn't test the system in anyway. If they refuse, leave :)
    Take along Rage Against the Machine or Tool or something, just incase they only happen to have Mumbly Jones with them :rolleyes:

Anex, Apr 1, 2005
  10. gregf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

what no Rammstein?

wadia-miester, Apr 1, 2005
  11. gregf

gregf

I was half expecting and hoping that Tony will say something! If Rammstein is aimied at me, I have some, it is a bit repetitive, I prefer older stuff Led Zep, DeepPurple, Black Sabbath, Dio .....

Tony, any recommendations regarding the system?

gregf, Apr 1, 2005
  12. gregf

You got it covered I reckon Greg :)

13. gregf

well, I'd reccomend hearing some ATC's.

The studio monitor accuracy is something that you have to hear to see if its you or not.

Its completely different to a wadia/belcanto/vienna acoustics setup.

BTW
    Im not saying its my cup of tea, just that its something you have to hear to see if its what you like.

bottleneck, Apr 1, 2005
  14. gregf

The mahlers a touch 'interesting in the Bass', but yes Atc's why not maybe a velodene and some Revel 20's that would be a good combo to.

15. gregf

gregf

Interesting, I never considered ATCs, I will have to give me a go. I can source the Malhers for less than half the original RRP. Tony, what do you mean 'interesting' ? Coloured or difficult to place, I hope not boomy at that price. I will have the chance to listen to them but I feel only at the dealer's place.

gregf, Apr 1, 2005
  16. gregf

Yes Oxford Audio I suspect, well you'll need to home demo I almost bought some, but something came up instead. always home demo.

17. gregf

gregf

Right again Tony. Unfortunately Oxford is relatively far from West Sussex.

gregf, Apr 1, 2005
  18. gregf

Anex Thermionic

They aren't as well recorded :p

Anex, Apr 2, 2005
  19. gregf

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i can certainly recommend the dax decade and if you are looking into pc audio the new squeezebox 2 is a particularly fine example of the genre too. i've always been impressed when i've heard a belcanto amp but most of them have been 'fiddled' with in some way as for the speakers? never heard them so can;t comment. if you want a decent transport to match up to the decade there was a certain synergy with a dpa transport we tried with mine - can;t remember which model though - robbo? also i particularly like the c.e.c. belt drive transports (and their dx 71 dac / pre isn;t too shoddy either).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 2, 2005
  20. gregf

gregf

Many thanks for the replies guys.

For the fornt end I will investigate the following (s/h):

Wadia 850/860
    Audionet
    Advantage S1 or CD1S (although there is very little info on the net)
    Accuphase?
    DAX Decade with transport (thanks Julian)
    others?

For speakers I will look at:
    VA Mahler
    PMC
    ATC
    Others?

I know it is a relatively long list and may take some time to select the components but that is fun, is it not?

gregf, Apr 2, 2005
Ask a Question