New PSU For DAC ? Or new DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by STELLABAGPUSS, Jan 28, 2014.

1. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Well, It's been many years since I've been on here, it was called Zerogain back in the day!
    I am after a bit of direction, many moons ago I had my Musical Fidelity X-DACV3 modded which I have been happy with for 9 or so years.
    Sadly last night the MF PSU (x-PSUV3) gave up the ghost, after opening it up, I only had to smell the awful smell of melted plastic.

Now I've been out of the HI-FI loop for some time, should I consider getting a new PSU eg "Little Pinkie SE" from rock grotto.
    Or is it worth me playing with some of the new DAC I see on ebay, this one seems to be getting rave comments, or is just a case of the emperiors new clothes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Overs...mplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2eccc3cf23

I'm lucky enough to have a half decent CDP Transport with NCS and Clock 4 mod, so I would be interested, in some views.

Cheers
    Damien

STELLABAGPUSS, Jan 28, 2014
  2. STELLABAGPUSS

felix part-time Horta

If you like the sound of what you are used to, fixing or replacing the psu is surely worth a go. You'll need to have something to go with the DAC if you decide to sell it later either way.

What does the DAC require? It can't be rocket science to DIY your own, or find a suitable regulated supply elsewhere and add the right plug(s) ...might be one for the DIY room here ;)

felix, Jan 28, 2014
  3. STELLABAGPUSS

felix part-time Horta

ETA - good grief, I've just googled the psu unit - it's only a 100VA, 12-0-12VAC transformer. I bet I've got a vaguely suitable transformer in the bits box somewhere, and if not, a suitable replacement is probably only ~£20 in parts.

If you want, I'll have a go at that for you for parts cost only.

felix, Jan 28, 2014
  4. STELLABAGPUSS

That's a kind offer felix, I wouldn't mind paying more, if it gave an improvement, I'm not sure if that means having a bigger psu with more amps.
    When l had the X psu v3, it was a genuine improvement over the standard wallwart psu. Although it 4 outputs, l only ever ran 1.
    I still have the case, so it still be possible, l guess to use the same case.

I guess the next question is, can anyone pick out the correct toroidal transformer for me,actually does it have to be toroidal, or are they better quality?
    Sorry if this has gone off subject a bit,
    I'm still interested if anyone has tried the dac mentioned in my 1st post
    Thanks

Damien

STELLABAGPUSS, Jan 28, 2014
  5. STELLABAGPUSS

felix part-time Horta

The manual I found online suggests the Xpsu v3 has four 12-0-12VAC outputs of 20VA each, indicatiing approx 80VA total capacity- though it is not clear if this is four separate transformer centre-tapped secondary windings of 20VA each (- a custom wind for sure); or one centre-tapped secondary of the full 80VA which has four outputs connected to it in parallel. The former has a small theoretical advantage in terms of avoiding signal0v ('ground') loops.

It doesn't much matter in your case, you are only using one output! Here's a selection of compact, potted toroidal transformers (nice and quiet - no mechanical buzz) from a reputable suppllier:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Encapsulated-Toroidal-Transformers-72657

Depending on the avaiable space inside the case you might be able to fit 88-3358, a 30VA part, to drive one output slightly uprated from MF's spec. Or, if it will fit, 88-3379 at 120VA for a grossly overrated part capable fo driving all four outputs beyond the original rating.

TBH with one output to drive, and given the fact your dac has it's own internal regulators, if only the 30VA part fits the case I'd really not worry about it.

If you don't want an encasulated part and there's enough space to fit the necessary bolt and washer to hold an open toroid in place, there there's a much wider choice of toroids here from the same supplier - they're cheaper as not encapsulated:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...sformers-Single-Primary-Dual-Secondary-500756

Of course CPC/Farnell and RS will have vast selections, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    felix, Jan 29, 2014
  6. STELLABAGPUSS

Many thanks Felix,
    just re opened the psu, it's 4 x 20VA, using a non encapsulated tororid. So looks like plane sailing apart from checking the wires.
    Many Thanks, I'm off to measure to see how much I can get away with inside.
    Will let you know,how I get on next week!

Damien

STELLABAGPUSS, Jan 29, 2014
  7. STELLABAGPUSS

Hi,
    Thought I'd better finish this thread up. I managed to replace the tororid inside, many thanks Felix.
    Had to play a bit with the wiring layout, as I used the MF board. Anyway I'm please to report, that all is well. And they may even be small in improvement, in imaging, but I'm on the fence about this.

I will re-post my questions on Non oversampling DAC

STELLABAGPUSS, Feb 8, 2014
Ask a Question